This thread is privately moderated by paladin-34, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 07, 2019, 03:31 PM
fighter or target, which r u
Thread OP
Discussion

this year I have 4 planes to maiden; FMS Me109F, Flite line f4u-1 corsair, Extreme Focke Wulf 190 A, Black Horse Macchi202.

FMS Me109 arrived with 2 stripped flap servos, and the spoons on the elevators bent in opposite directions so far that even full elevator deflection would not bring them to neutral. I had one of these in 2012 and I left it in the car all summer and the foam got brittle. i replaced the servos with slightly bigger ones, then left the plane in the car all day. surprisingly we got enough sun to bring them back enough to encourage me so i pre stressed the spoons and in about a week they were acceptable.

test flight was uneventful i forgot how light this plane was. i added the zip tie mod and have a vibration at top end so don't think it gained me anything. so at some point i will probably replace the long blades with the short ones with no zip tie

Flite line f4u-1 corsair - I had this plane for ever it seams. initially hooked it up to the blue box and all was good w the world. then as the months rolled by the reports of blue box failures started to come in. having a little experience with circuit boards and a flight line spit I made sure the E,A, and R all went directly to the rx. when the rain broke I took it to the field and the flaps would not work. to test that I did not have the tx setup wrong I plugged the flap plug from the blue box to the aileron rx and still nothing. so back home I ran the flaps directly to the rx and looked up which lg cycler I needed incase that part of the blue box failed also.

this Friday the wind was supposed to be 9mph down the runway. so after work I got there and noticed one of the flap linkages was flopping in the breeze. I did not have keepers on the "L" bend snap on thing. IDK if they came with the plane and I did not use them but it is what it is. I had the aileron linage in the furthest hole of the servo out put arm and the furthest hole of the ailerons and the servo EPA at 150 both sides. flaps were also on furthest out holes on both servo put and flap control horn. elevator and rudder servo output arms were from factory, E was all the way out on the control horn and rudder was factory.

I pushed a old (that means heavy) 6s5a20c battery as far forward as it would go. I placed my backup battery between the drive battery and rx. handed the destructions book and tx to my son and he and the others at the field verified the cg and directions of all the control surfaces. i fly mode 1 (so does Jay) or i would have handed to anyone.

with no more excuses it was time to put it in the air. I tuned on the tx, then back up battery and waited for the radio to come to life then plugged the drive battery and the motor chimed to let me know it was online. taxied out to the center of the runway and turned into the wind. it really reacts to throttle when i was taxiing out. did a quick check of all surfaces again and advanced the throttle. it tracked straight, with no rudder input from me. it needed hardly any trim then to the maneuvers my first loop was terrible with several sharp elevator deviations. I was afraid I had forgotten expo (that's what happens when months go by between assembly and maiden) after I landed I checked and the expo was on but on the low setting 30% and I left it there. continuing with the maiden, I rolled to both sides and it rolled faster to the left, barrel roles were nice and big and the heading was the same in and out.

time to prep for landing, I slowed the plane and added flap as it slowed with no retracts. once all the flap was in I tried to find a throttle setting that it would fly level at, it was a couple of clicks above off then put the gear down and the nose came down a bit, perfect no roll! I flew it down and dirty directly in front of me and put the gear up and the flaps with the same throttle setting, the nose dropped a little and it was able to sustain a 15-20 degree down line. I pulled up and it came up for an instant than continued in the same down line with out deviating left or right.

flew for a minute or two more and set up for a landing we were getting a blast of gust right into our face so as always start set up in a gust and it was gone by the time I was on final I had to carry some extra throttle to penetrate the wind down the runway which had picked up and touched down about 40ft before where I was standing nice and gentile on the mains, pulled the flaps up then killed the throttle and it still had not reached me before it was stopped.

I flew it once more that day and realized that the jerking in the first loop was probably me getting used to the plane (nervous) cause I never saw it again.

while back in the pits after the first flight I noticed another flap link dangling, again after flight two, and again when I took it out of the car at home. it now has keepers on them.

conclusion: I moved the aileron linkage into hole 3 of 5 on the servo output arm cause the maiden ailerons I had were little light, still faster to the left roll. the second flight had even more wind with no problems. it dose all the maneuvers with ease, with plenty of power for big loops.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 08, 2019, 06:30 PM
Thread OP
8jun19
extreme flite focke wulf 190 a
aeolian 5060-380
8s
15x8apce
it was clear that the power was light but it lifted off quickly but did not accelerate. it had 7 clicks of down E and that's all the trim it needed. it looped, rolled, barrel rolled with no problem at 53mph. when the flaps came down it did not roll or require e trim holdoff. I've replaced the prop with a 15x10.
Jun 11, 2019, 08:41 AM
Thread OP
in the extreme focke wulf I replaced the motor with a turnagy ntm 5060-380 and found a bad soldier joint. I ran the extreme focke wulf up and verified it had no balance issues in the drive. presently have a 16x8x3 master airscrew on it. I have a 14x9x3 on the way because the 16in prop will draw 104amps which exceeds the ESC rating. so if I fly it before getting the 14 in prop I will have to be mindful of throttle. but It should be here Friday.

a few weeks ago I had the lg stop working on the left wing of the t-28. so I ordered a replacement and modified it to work with a controller and last night I verified the new retract works then installed it. then being an ME I had to tear down the old one to find the failure mode. only I did not get far, there are eight screws holding four standoffs between the left and right trunnions. all 8 screws were loose? I tightened them up but ran out of time before verifying if it works now, or if the right wing had the same problem.
Jun 17, 2019, 08:09 AM
Thread OP
Started rebuilding the fw190a fms1: it had been in a speed trial with warbird charlies p-40, I had put the turnagy sk3 5050-660 in it with a std prop. And 5s batt.. We had made several low passes and he was faster than I so I decided to do a vertical full power dive to see if that would allow me to keep up with him. Realizing that the spinner could explode I did it far out. I got to the point where I started to pull out of the dive and the spinner let loose. Once level an power off I flew parallel to the runway, way to fast to land so went to the end of the runway b4 starting the turn. so glad I did cause I got half way through the turn to the runway and it stopped responding and went into the soy field. Turned out the spinner letting go pulled the motor mount out of the model and it wound up the electronics till it shorted.

So going through the plane, I had hoped to take a pic before I worked on it but it did not happen. I checked all the servos and only the aileron and rudder servos worked. The elevator, flaps, retracts, and esc all did not work, all just did not react to commands at all. The motor had a bent prop adapter so I replaced it and installed it on fw190a fms2.

So I put the new gun cover and oleos I put on fw190a fms 2 then started in on 1. The wings had been removed in the knife-edge landing but the retrieval crew got all the bits so I put the wings back together. Then turning to the fuse the center of the fuse had been completely removed and the foam between the wing le and the nose had several cracks that all had to be repaired. Lastly one aileron and one elevator had ripped hinges so I used shoe goo to repair them. Lastly I removed the parts of the canopy and gun cover that were still on the plane and started the hole for the engine mount box.
Last edited by paladin-34; Jun 17, 2019 at 08:53 AM.
Jul 02, 2019, 03:30 PM
Thread OP
so I have replaced all the non working servos, with the exception of the retracts, everything is hooked up and working. the wing is back on the fuse, I seLED UP ALL THE CRACKED FOAM WITH CA. the flaps were missing along with the retracts, I think that is because I figured it would never get rebuilt and I just did not care. so I built new flaps out of .125 lt ply with a 1/4x1/2 ca'ed to it at the le. I then put robart hinge points into the balsa as close to the lt ply as I could get it and epoxied them in. the hinge pin was ~ 5/32 forward of the flap le, and I cut the foam to clear that part of the hinge then pushed the hinge in to the foam at a steep angle. pulled it back out sucked the epoxy up into a clear straw (please don't turn me in to Gerry brown). using a paper towel I cleaned the tip then bent it over its self, it looked like a "U", and put tape over it to hold it there. stuck it in the hole I made by pushing the robart hinge points and deposited a little epoxy at the bottom of the hole. then dipped the tip pf the hinges in the epoxy and pushed the flap into place.

then I cut out the four sides of the firewall box and fit them in place. then cut the 1/4 in marine ply to slide into the box. the last step will be to screw the motor to the firewall then epoxy the sides in, while everything is still soft insert the firewall with the motor on it. check with the annular ring for the correct height of the prop output shaft then wait for it all to dry.

Joe
Jul 25, 2019, 01:56 PM
Thread OP
I EPOXIED in the motor mounts adding some right and down thrust and painted it. took it out last week and test flew it. I still had the rx, the satellite, esc, back up battery, and drive battery all loose and just held in by the gun cover. I had removed the factory nose wt and the batteries were as forward as they could go and it was a 1/8 in/3mm behind the 90mm cg factory recommends.

I put the gear down and verified all the controls were right and taxied out. this was after work so the sun was in my face if I looked to the left, also all the people were to my left, and the wind was coming from my left. not knowing where it was going to go (cause all the major parts had been bent or broken) I took off to the right. the right wheel lifted off first, nice and gently. I took this as a good sign, it did not veer anywhere, then all of a sudden it was vertical and I was still looking down at it. I reacted without thinking and the nose came down to slightly below level. at that point it had turned 70 degrees to the left from my original heading. as I flew out it started to climb again and I controlled it to a shallow one but I was holding a ton of down elevator. once turned and on the up wind leg I trimmed the elevator and ran out of trim and it was still climbing. at this point I decided to land and get it right. I went around and set up the landing leaving the wheels up and landed with no damage.

it was so bad that I had to mechanically adjust the linkages.

the second flight was uneventful, everything trimmed out, landed with flaps, I nosed it in because I could not reach the flaps kill button on this tx, but we'll improve on that.
Last edited by paladin-34; Jul 25, 2019 at 02:05 PM.
Aug 02, 2019, 08:55 AM
Thread OP
flew the fms fw190#1 in calm air and was very disappointed with how it fly's. I knew that this was within the realm of possibility, specially with all the sun warped and crumpled surfaces. it is controllable and will be a acceptable winter flier, but it refuses to grove in calm air, can not find a trim setting it likes, i just have to be on it all the time. as an example I did several loops and I could not get it to track in a plane it would wander left or right all the way through the loop. so I've got several checks to do on it so it will have to wait.

joe
Aug 21, 2019, 09:09 AM
Thread OP
put two flights on the fms fw190#1 today after work. I had added Velcro to hold the battery down and it flew much better. next step is to add a rx back up battery, just have to see where it can be placed and its affect on cg.

Joe
Aug 24, 2019, 09:00 PM
Thread OP
last maiden for 2019, black horse macchi200 23aug19 (turnagy g160-290, 17x10, 8s5a20c, castle 100a, ledo retracts)
Aug 28, 2019, 02:10 AM
Wish Blackhorse still made that plane
Aug 28, 2019, 08:17 AM
Thread OP
Me 2, I have an imp macchi202 but it wt is 22#. with a second one of these I could make a 202 that wt 13-15#!

Joe
Sep 01, 2019, 05:09 PM
Thread OP
31aug19, third flight of the h9 me109 was to be its first flight with sustained full throttle. takeoff was picture perfect and jay started right off going full tilt down the runway and 60-70% down wind. on the fourth full tilt pass the motor wound to a halt to late to make the runway. jay put it into the corn and did a good job stalling into the corn tassels. we had figured it was a bad cell in the battery but we first noticed there was something wrong w the mpi key when it could not be removed from the plane (its used to make the plane safe). but the plane was dead so after retrieving the plane we found that when we removed the mpi key harness from between the battery and the esc everything worked. so what you see in the pictures is the cause of the power loss, the blade in the mpi connector slid back far enough that the connection was at the front of the connector were you see all the molten copper. it melted the copper away from the contact point until it broke the connection completely.

when he got home jay hooked it u to castle link and he had 18 separate rums on the motor because of it breaking contact (another plane saved by a backup battery). the amps were as expected at 53 amps.

Joe
Last edited by paladin-34; Sep 18, 2019 at 11:45 AM.

Quick Reply