Jun 11, 2019, 03:34 PM
Car Bashing
Quote:
What's the difference (function) center diff vs center spool?
Same power on front and rear with a center spool, when with a center diff, the power tend to go more to the front, make the car more drivable but less fast.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 12, 2019, 11:27 AM
Interested in getting the Infraction - but those tyres are going to wear down real quick. Some are reporting 1-2 runs max on a set of tyres. Would like to see how much replacements are going to cost (think I saw $45 for a set somewhere?) and their availability.......
Jun 12, 2019, 09:53 PM
I think the tires will last more then 2 runs.when I had my x01 that I should of kept had 12 full runs on it and tires were still good. But I only ran 4 and 6 cell.
Jun 12, 2019, 10:17 PM
All over the internet are a bunch of Arrma fanboys saying this is an XO-1 "killer." Then Traxxas fanboys come back and say the XO-1 is 8 years old now and still faster out of the box. As a "fanboy" of neither company, and the owner of a XO-1, I'm genuinely curious why this is such an advancement? Why should I upgrade my existing vehicle, when I cannot see any advancements?

The car looks AMAZING, and the idea of it coming as a roller (Limitless) is very cool. I just can't see the innovation. I looked through the entire Arrma "gigasite," and all the features they're advertising (except the awesome truck body) are on the Traxxas. Centre brace, big bore shocks, 3mm aluminium chassis with aerodynamics, rear diffuser, etc, etc.

I hope people buy HEAPS of these cars so that Traxxas update the XO1, because the Kraton encouraged Traxxas to update the E-Revo. Competition is an excellent thing.

That said, my only suggestion would be to update the XO1's body to have the "clip-less" body mounting system that's on the Rustler 4x4, E-Revo v2 and X-Maxx.
Jun 12, 2019, 11:25 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsear2905
All over the internet are a bunch of Arrma fanboys saying this is an XO-1 "killer." Then Traxxas fanboys come back and say the XO-1 is 8 years old now and still faster out of the box. As a "fanboy" of neither company, and the owner of a XO-1, I'm genuinely curious why this is such an advancement? Why should I upgrade my existing vehicle, when I cannot see any advancements?

The car looks AMAZING, and the idea of it coming as a roller (Limitless) is very cool. I just can't see the innovation. I looked through the entire Arrma "gigasite," and all the features they're advertising (except the awesome truck body) are on the Traxxas. Centre brace, big bore shocks, 3mm aluminium chassis with aerodynamics, rear diffuser, etc, etc.

I hope people buy HEAPS of these cars so that Traxxas update the XO1, because the Kraton encouraged Traxxas to update the E-Revo. Competition is an excellent thing.

That said, my only suggestion would be to update the XO1's body to have the "clip-less" body mounting system that's on the Rustler 4x4, E-Revo v2 and X-Maxx.
Nature of the beast...people want NEWER items even though it drives almost the same.
Latest blog entry: My FAVORITE FPV CockPits'!!!!
Jun 13, 2019, 07:41 AM
Totally planned it that way
Quote:

So, I watched a YT vid done by an Arrma "fanboy" that honestly was very biased... but even in the bias he did point out where the differences were in the items that were similar to both the XO-1 and the Limitless. One example is how it is pointed out how the center brace is different and why the Arrma version is better than the Traxxas.... but again, this guy is a true Arrma "fanboy" so it could be bias. I think the only 2 major things that I liked about the Arrma over the Traxxas was the longer length and coverage of the aluminum under body (the XO-1 had a fairly small plate under the main chassis, the Arrma was pretty much covering the entire chassis) and the amount of down force and aerodynamics that Arrma threw in... They both had diffusers but the front and rear wing on the Arrma looked like it had some customization options for it by pulling parts of the wings on and off.

Now, mind you, the vid was so bias that I believe it was pulled from YT as it was done in a LHS and I don't think the LHS was liking the bad press they were getting for this guys Traxxas bashing. I can't find it at least and I think someone mentioned it earlier in this thread... I'd be suprised if Traxxas didn't contact the LHS or the YTuber about removing it... I mean, Traxxas has gone after YT vids before (see RCsaylor situation).

I agree with you, though, that competition is a great thing to keep these companies advancing their technology. I'm sure Traxxas will bring out a Limitless "killer" soon. Maybe an XO-2 or something.
Jun 13, 2019, 07:21 PM
The Mad Titan
Don't you need to enter in your license info to "unlock" the XO-1 to achieve those really high speeds, along with an IPad, IPhone or whatever too? Out of the box, I don't think it doesn't much more than 50 mph or so. I can also guarantee that the Arrma is going to be a lot more damage resistant in crashes than the XO-1.

Is a new, fast car revolutionary? Not at all, but the incremental improvements, better durability, not needing additional electronics or programs to achive it's potential and being designed to specifically allow for installation of a HUGE variety of electronics is what sets the Arrmas apart from the XO-1.
Jun 13, 2019, 07:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC1138
Don't you need to enter in your license info to "unlock" the XO-1 to achieve those really high speeds, along with an IPad, IPhone or whatever too? Out of the box, I don't think it doesn't much more than 50 mph or so. I can also guarantee that the Arrma is going to be a lot more damage resistant in crashes than the XO-1.

Is a new, fast car revolutionary? Not at all, but the incremental improvements, better durability, not needing additional electronics or programs to achive it's potential and being designed to specifically allow for installation of a HUGE variety of electronics is what sets the Arrmas apart from the XO-1.
To unlock the 100mph you just need to install the Traxxas app, it no longer requires an Apple device, you can use your Android phone, too.

Crash resistance? I can personally attest to the damage a crash at 90mph does to a XO-1 - it wasn't pretty, but the damage was reasonable considering the speed involved and the fact it hit solid concrete. Until we see unbiased reviewers crashing at those speeds your assumption the Armma would be more damage resistant is purely guesswork.

The Infraction comes with electronics promising 80mph, the Limitless comes as a roller, which means it definitely needs additional electronics.
Jun 13, 2019, 08:35 PM
The Mad Titan
Quote:
To unlock the 100mph you just need to install the Traxxas app, it no longer requires an Apple device, you can use your Android phone, too.

Crash resistance? I can personally attest to the damage a crash at 90mph does to a XO-1 - it wasn't pretty, but the damage was reasonable considering the speed involved and the fact it hit solid concrete. Until we see unbiased reviewers crashing at those speeds your assumption the Armma would be more damage resistant is purely guesswork.

The Infraction comes with electronics promising 80mph, the Limitless comes as a roller, which means it definitely needs additional electronics.
Spending $800 on a car and THEN needing additional items to get it going faster is a load of crap. $400 for the limitless leaves $400 for electronics, more than sufficient to equal or exceed what's included with the Traxxas without needing to unlock anything.

As for damage, Traxxas is junk compared to Arrma regarding durability. I'm sorry, it's just the truth. I own both brands, I have no financial stake in who "beats" who, I don't have a youtube channel, get early test cars, etc.... Overall, from an engineering standpoint, Arrma is simply designed and built better, because their designs and materials aren't decades old.
Jun 13, 2019, 09:03 PM
Quote:
Spending $800 on a car and THEN needing additional items to get it going faster is a load of crap. $400 for the limitless leaves $400 for electronics, more than sufficient to equal or exceed what's included with the Traxxas without needing to unlock anything.

As for damage, Traxxas is junk compared to Arrma regarding durability. I'm sorry, it's just the truth. I own both brands, I have no financial stake in who "beats" who, I don't have a youtube channel, get early test cars, etc.... Overall, from an engineering standpoint, Arrma is simply designed and built better, because their designs and materials aren't decades old.
I would be very surprised if anyone buying a $749 RC doesn't have access to any kind of smartphone or tablet. In the unlikely circumstance they don't, I'm sure the hobby shop would unlock it for them.

Your other point about durability is definitely true regarding their off-road offerings, but at this stage you are guessing with regard to this new platform.
Jun 14, 2019, 08:29 AM
Totally planned it that way
At this point, I don't think durability issues can be questioned... the Infraction/Limitless haven't been out to see. Arrma has a track record of good durability, how that transfers to "on road" cars will be interesting.

In noting the Limitless, I did some checking on HH website... The recommended power/electronics package for the Limitless is the same power package for the Infraction- same motor, ESC, servo, cooling fan, and steering servo. I like the idea of the roller for the Limitless, but considering the recommended parts are the same as the Infraction, I wish they would have made a RTR or BND version of the Limitless as an option.

FYI- Cost to outfit the Limitless like the Infraction: $362 for the AVC Rx, motor, ESC, Servo, and ESC cooling fan. So $761 to put the recommended electronics into the Limitless including the cost of the Limitless roller setup. There may be a few more bucks for servo arm/servo saver and it's not including needing a Tx... which is another $50 or so if you do a DX2. Puts it on par with the XO-1, right? It also makes the Infraction seem like a pretty good deal at $600 as it includes the speed pinion gear to get the 80mph.

Someone mentioned tires- $30 a pair... $60 a set.
Jun 14, 2019, 08:16 PM
Born again RC'er
As an admitted Arrma fanboy, I don't see the Infraction as a X01 killer. The Limitless, maybe. It seems to have more potental out of the box, but RTR it's top speed is a whopping 0mph...

As for the Infraction, the BLX185 is a great power plant, but it just does not have the power of a Castle 1717 and MM2. I know the current X01 uses a less powerful traxxas knockoff of the Castle gear, but still, 1717 is a bigger motor than the Arrma 4074, and should make a decent bit more power. I really feel Arrma missed a chance to drop a 4082 with the old BLX200/Max8, or at least bring back the 4275 BLX200 motor.

Durability? Maybe at 40mph, Arrma beats Traxxas, but a +60mph RC car vs curb, none of them fair well.

But, I am a fan boy, so I want it anyways... LOL Even though I don't really have a decent place to run a car like this.
Jun 14, 2019, 09:12 PM
The Mad Titan
Durability isn't just about surviving a crash. It's about build quality, not vibrating apart, not spitting out drive shafts and dog bones, not popping shock caps, not stripping pinions and spurs and diffs, screws not backing out, etc.... ANYTHING will get destroyed if you hit a brick wall at 100 mph. It's more important to consider what's going to stay together when you DON'T crash.
Jun 14, 2019, 11:05 PM
Quote:
Durability isn't just about surviving a crash. It's about build quality, not vibrating apart, not spitting out drive shafts and dog bones, not popping shock caps, not stripping pinions and spurs and diffs, screws not backing out, etc.... ANYTHING will get destroyed if you hit a brick wall at 100 mph. It's more important to consider what's going to stay together when you DON'T crash.
I can only speak to my own experiences, but (other than in an accident) my XO-1 has never stripped, spat out, popped or backed out a part running at very high (6S) speeds on poor quality asphalt. The only other Traxxas I've had that exhibits such durability is the X-Maxx, and even in a substantial crash that doesn't seem capable of breaking anything, either.

I think everyone here has answered my initial question, regarding the Arrma's "innovation." It's a new car with an Arrma sticker on it, and that's where the innovation ends. I will watch the unbiased reviews and see if there's any reason to update my XO-1 for the ultimate in on-road running.
Jun 14, 2019, 11:55 PM
The Mad Titan
Quote:
I can only speak to my own experiences, but (other than in an accident) my XO-1 has never stripped, spat out, popped or backed out a part running at very high (6S) speeds on poor quality asphalt. The only other Traxxas I've had that exhibits such durability is the X-Maxx, and even in a substantial crash that doesn't seem capable of breaking anything, either.

I think everyone here has answered my initial question, regarding the Arrma's "innovation." It's a new car with an Arrma sticker on it, and that's where the innovation ends. I will watch the unbiased reviews and see if there's any reason to update my XO-1 for the ultimate in on-road running.
I can tell you're a Traxxas fanboy given how offended you seem whenever anyone gives an honest assessment of Arrma vs Traxxas quality. That's cool, each to their own.

Quick Reply