Jun 07, 2019, 09:04 AM
Awanx
Thread OP
Discussion

Carf hawk 1/5.3

Dear Flyers,

I want to build a CARF HAWK 1/5.3. Using a Kingtech 140-G1 setup

However, I am being discouraged by some reviews that I have read about this plane. I want to take your on the observation that " this plane has a high tendency to tip stall during slow turns and kangaroo on landings. ". Can some one please advise on this behavior and if yes what have you guys done to avoid such tendencies.

Your advise will be highly appreciated

Regards,
Naveed
to remove ads between posts
Jun 07, 2019, 03:05 PM
Well the wing on the thing does not look like it'd be much good slowed down. I found a video of one and the pilot yanked it into the air on take off and the left wing tip stalled. The landing was nothing to brag about, he didn't have it slowed down much and it did what we call porpoise on the landing and he hit the brakes hard to keep it on the ground after the first bounce. I was not impressed particularly since I've seen reports on that model from other manufacturers which say it fly's quite nicely. Maybe you should look at other brands of models if you want a Hawk?

BAE Hawk RC Skala 1/5.3 Hasslösa (4 min 50 sec)
Jun 07, 2019, 04:05 PM
Awanx
Thread OP
Hi Zeeb Thanks very much for the reply. Yes indeed you are correct while I have seen some other videos where the model laded OK. I have nothiced that I cannot do a high alpha landing like its bigger brother , the skygate HAWK.
Jun 08, 2019, 12:59 AM
92 pages with info on the other site. It looks like this is the best option for a hawk in this class, although I have not read anything about the T-One Hawk they sell at Pacific RC.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...ld-thread.html
Jun 08, 2019, 08:27 AM
Contact Dieselman 1220, he can tell you all about this jet. He flys his so slow it scares the crap outta me!
Jun 09, 2019, 09:38 AM
Well I have built two of those and clocked somewhat 80 engine hours and 500+ flights with them. I can't say it has tip stall tendency. I have flown it with and without fences. With and without vortex generators. With and without crow mix and with and without lower tail feathers... still don't know what the fuzz is all about

Sure I have tip stalled it but it was intentional. It can do that if yanked too hard on slow speed. It is not delta wing. I like CG much further back than suggested on user manual and less elevator travel though.

/Jyri
Jun 18, 2019, 09:03 PM
5kW Club
Best flying plane I have had.

Slow flight has been great, I had a 120 in mine, More than enough power.

I never had a bad landing, expect when the gear got stuck. But it floated right in, Just scraped up the bottom.

I believe the setup is important. I set mine up as 15 degrees takeoff, 45 degrees landing with 1/4 inch of crow.

Too much flap and you have to power it in, then when you let off the power it stops flying and bouncy, bouncy.

My 2 cents

Clay

Quick Reply