Jun 06, 2019, 07:59 AM
Need more speed!
Thread OP
Discussion

How do you transport your planes?

Forgive me if this isn't the correct sub-forum, but this is the only place I could find that makes sense.

I've been "collecting" airplanes over the past few years, and now I have roughly 10 .40 - .90 size airplanes that I take back and forth to the flying field. I have a 4x8 trailer I pull to have enough room to take more than one.

At first, I made jigs out of plywood and foam to securely hold the fuselages in place and slot wings in for safe travels. Then I saw a friend that just used D-rings and bungee cables to tie down the airplanes to the bottom of the trailer, and this had allowed me to fit 3-4 airplanes in it rather than the 2 I was limited to before. I just throw my wings in the car, but this isn't preferred.

for those of you who like to take several large models to the field, what methods do you use to get things there safely?
to remove ads between posts
Jun 07, 2019, 05:13 AM
A man with too many toys
I made a rack from PVC pipe.

Jun 11, 2019, 07:33 PM
Culper Junior
I fold the two rear seats down in the van, wings on the left, fuselages on the right, cover with old bathroom towels to keep from moving around.
Jun 12, 2019, 11:45 AM
Need more speed!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronca52
I fold the two rear seats down in the van, wings on the left, fuselages on the right, cover with old bathroom towels to keep from moving around.
Hmm. Maybe I should just get a bunch of towels....
Jun 12, 2019, 12:58 PM
Culper Junior
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuppster
Hmm. Maybe I should just get a bunch of towels....
Itís a lot less work, cheaper too.
Jun 16, 2019, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronca52
Look like I'm not the only one.... :-)
Jun 17, 2019, 07:11 PM
I just want to go fly!
Standing on there nose in my full size cargo van. Bungee the tails to my tool shelf with foam padding to protect the ultracoat . Most fit fully assembled. Including my large telemaster
Jun 18, 2019, 09:24 AM
Need more speed!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter3rd
Standing on there nose in my full size cargo van. Bungee the tails to my tool shelf with foam padding to protect the ultracoat . Most fit fully assembled. Including my large telemaster
So, I should go buy a box truck. Sounds economical haha!

Quick Reply