Jun 05, 2019, 06:06 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Funtana s140 - linkage geomotery

Just picked up this plane and going through things before its ready fly.

Not new and been repainted several times but is in very good condition for age. 160 four stroke was worth it just for the engine price I paid. Came from a very keen modeler who is a retired pilot. Very nice guy with too many projects.

Anyway justnwamting to check on the right track. The elevator and aileron links seemed ambit odd. Check the photos. Before and after I changed it. The servos had short armsmwhich put the control linkage at a really awkward angle. Throws seemed low for a 3d plane.

I changed for long arms and got the linksmas close to 90 as possible. I'll need to make new rods as they are too long to be perfect but it way better and getting more throw.

I measured throw and in getting 8.5cm down and 9cm up that should even out once I make new links.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 05, 2019, 06:06 PM
Thread OP
Oh and move the control horn back so the pivot point is abovemhing line
Jun 05, 2019, 07:33 PM
Thread OP
I guess I should add.. Have I made things better ... Or .I'm I misunderstanding things
Jun 05, 2019, 08:25 PM
Phil liebo
Looks a lot better with the long Servo arms. Maybe get different horns that extend far enough to center over the hinge line. And some turnbuckle style titanium rods.
Jun 06, 2019, 06:13 AM
Thread OP
Thanks Ive got the elevators to do as well which are setup the same way. Rudder is fine as its its on pull pull.

,not surrnwhat version this one is or if it was built differently to manual... Thenfuntana manual shows elevator servo also on pull pull inside the fuselage . but this had the servos on the horizontal stabiliser same as ailerons.

Looking forward to flying its my first big model.
Jun 06, 2019, 10:38 AM
Fully Sending It
As said, about the only thing you need to do now is put the pivot point on the control horn over the hingeline. Otherwise it looks perfect.
Latest blog entry: My relationship with Hitec
Jun 22, 2019, 05:44 PM
Thread OP
So i dont have any reference cause i didnt fly it with the way it was setup before. Wow this plane flies very well.

The only thing though as i feel its very soft feeling, im already flying in high rates and am going to remove the expo. Although it could just be because its a big plane and im used to much smaller twitcher things.

i had a few people double check the cg with me and they seemed to think it was severely tail heavy, the guy i bought it from said the cg was perfect where the receiver battery had been put but i dont know if that was before a repair to the tail and it had shifted the cg rearward.

i was told that it should balance on the wing spar. This requred moving the 3000mah subc 4 cell all the way forward (behind the fuel tank) and putting 2 turnigy 3s 2300mah lipos in the pockets beside the fuel tank to get it to ballance.

Plane flew pretty well but i didnt do any inverted tests. I removed those batteries and replaced them with 1500mah 3s lipos which shifted the cg back slight just behind the spar. again plane flew wonderfully. I flew inverted and it did require a touch of down to fly level. So will try removing those batteries and see how it flies.

i couldnt find info on the recomended cg for this model.

my next question is, is it setup right for prop hanging. it definatly has plenty of power but not sure i have the right prop.... its got a ys160 4 stroke with a 17x12 apc prop. ive only just started testing harrier so im still getting used to it and only attempted going into a hover very high.

i struggle doing things up high as i find it hard to see whats happening, so i tend to do things closer to the ground which obviously leaves less room for mistakes. 3 mistakes high is pushing it for me as i end up making mistakes becauyse i dont know whats going on.

this plane is alot bigger and reacts very different to the foamie 3d models i have tried and a profile edge 540 and due to the very light build of the frame it will break with a hard bump.

oh wanting to change to a 5 cell nimh or a 2 cell life. i swapped out the mini sized throttle servo which wa only rated for 5v for a full sized futaba servo which can run on 6 so that should give me better response all round when running on nimh 5 or life 2 cell (it made a noticable difference on my wot 4)

Quick Reply