This thread is privately moderated by smithdoor, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 30, 2019, 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhk750
Between Taco Time catchup cups and my wife's beauty supplies, I never need to buy anything...
it always helps to have a grandaughter who's a nurse and gets all those little 'pill cups'. haven't bought any of them in years! and they're graduated on the side so measurement is accurate.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 03, 2019, 06:28 PM
I just want to go fly!
I build with mostly hand tools but can’t live without my dremel. I really enjoy using a small razor plane as well. Such a great tool to have.
Nov 07, 2019, 03:02 PM
Picked up some stainless steel stir stick. Think I like them better than the wooden sticks. Not throughing out the wooden ones.
Nov 27, 2019, 09:44 PM
I inherited some clamps from an estate. Never knew about them before, and I quite frankly don't know how I ever lived without them before.
Dec 01, 2019, 07:44 PM
I just want to go fly!
Lots of little spring clamps are so useful. Buy in bulk at harbor freight for cheap
Dec 04, 2019, 07:50 PM
I don't see it mentioned here, but I have a little vacuum that is indispensable. \

$25 and sits on top of a 5 gallon bucket. Perfect for hanging right under the bench.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bucket-H...0100/202017218
Dec 27, 2019, 08:45 AM
I'm surprised there is not a more comprehensive listing of building tools,from the various sizes of straight pins ,with the MOST complete selection available from BRODAK Manufacturing ;then there is all important sanding tools--- like T bar aluminum sanding bars which go up to 36" length and a MUST HAVE. being ( Perma Grit) sanding tools in varied shapes and sizes all made using Tungsten Carbide Abrasives. Sanding IS the most important aspect of BALSA airplane construction arguably..
Last edited by fastruchard; Dec 27, 2019 at 08:56 AM.
Dec 29, 2019, 05:36 PM
Who are these that fly?

Using a Cooler for a Stand

A cheap Styrofoam cooler has been helpful in my P-51B build. I make a cut that is the width of the fuselage. The edges are covered with black duct tape to keep them from flaking.

Tip: Use one upside-down in your shop so that things that fall through can easily be reached underneath. Use a second one right-side up in the field to hold anything that falls and it will be kept securely there.
Jan 15, 2020, 01:03 PM

tools

i have a peg board i use to hang bags of supplies in, paper punched holes at top of the snack bags above the ziplock thing,i place a small card for info of the airplane parts in bag, can put small tools in them and hang them, i put plans in the large brown envelopes and hang them. for cutting 1,16 balsa iuse a cuticle trimmer i buy at dollar tree along with emery boards, i use ALL/FIX glue for my work,usually wood will break before glue does.my first in 1960 i used duco cement and 6 years later packing it away for college the albatros fell apart in my hands, i use washable glue sticks to put on plan where a small part is going and it sticks so i can get it very accurectly, i tremble, it holds the part, like a quarter inch of 1/16 balsa. i found a larger old style paper cutter. i use this to cut 1/16 stringer material,cut with the grain of course, laptop with a good pdf maker program,came with my cannon printer, i can enlarge or reduce any plan
Feb 08, 2020, 02:11 PM
Who are these that fly?
A heavy book! It kept Titebond II from warping 1/32 thin sheeting. It provided even weight on this elevator for my DW Griffin powered glider.
Feb 09, 2020, 02:03 PM
B for Bruce
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNup
A heavy book! It kept Titebond II from warping 1/32 thin sheeting. It provided even weight on this elevator for my DW Griffin powered glider.
LOL LOVE IT ! ! !

Associated with the traditional "heavy reading" from UpNup is a good stack of smooth page magazines. They slip and slide and can be used for form fitting weights that only curl in one direction when stacked up thick enough. Very handy for things like leading edge wing sheeting. Or for wrapping a couple around some upper deck sheeting as a form fitting caul and binding in place with some elastic cord.
Feb 09, 2020, 02:16 PM
I suppose that is the great thing about having a significant collection of RCM magazines, ballast always readily available. I suppose that is sacrilege these days.

I have also used big books and mylar report covers for glassing stabilizers before. Apply glass and epoxy, stick in the report cover and put into the middle of the book. Apply heavy weight and you have an instant poor-mans vacuum bag setup.
Feb 09, 2020, 03:11 PM
I use soft cover books a lot with weights on top ... The soft cover folds over curved surfaces nicely and distributes the weight.

Quick Reply