This thread is privately moderated by smithdoor, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 22, 2019, 08:23 AM
Loos good. Is the important side flat? I dont have a printer but I have ordered from online makers.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 22, 2019, 08:58 AM
'Douglas' to his friends.
By the nature of how it works, a 3D printer bed has to be flat, so the underside of any piece printed will also be flat.
Aug 22, 2019, 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad3353
By the nature of how it works, a 3D printer bed has to be flat, so the underside of any piece printed will also be flat.
The bed may be flat but the part may not be. I've seen sinking in large parts.
Aug 22, 2019, 09:21 PM
Reply in a bit over an hour, now, as my first one is finishing.

Edit ; ... and here it is...

Total print time, just over three hours. 20% infill, and nicely flat. I'll stick some sandpaper on tomorrow, with double-sided tape (we don't have those US brand papers here, but I'll use what I have...). It feels OK for now, if it passes muster, I'll set off a print of a longer one.
(The yellow is slightly less garish 'in the flesh'; it's the flash that sets it off like that. Still, I'll know where I've put it dwn, I reckon..! )
Last edited by Dad3353; Aug 22, 2019 at 10:25 PM.
Aug 23, 2019, 05:42 AM
You could sand in the dark!

I designed it with the ends of the handle flat rather than with a lip for grip like the sides have ... I could change that... Thoughts?
Aug 23, 2019, 05:53 AM
I've not used it in anger yet, but a quick scrub of some gash wood lying about inspires confidence. Light in weight (54g of PLA...), but with enough mass to be comfortable in hand, little inertia, and not cold to the touch. So far, I'd rate it as five-star. Nothing needs changing, but, then again, I'm only a humble amateur user; the more 'pro' may have a different view of things. I'll be firing up a long version this evening. Only narrow ones for now; I'll see how they fit my building 'style', and will keep the option of wider ones open. Unbeatable value for money, too..! Durability..? Hard to predict, with my limited output, but there's a good chance that, unless Our Eldest 'borrows' 'em, they'll see me out. Here's hoping I can buck that trend, though..!
Sep 12, 2019, 02:27 PM
B for Bruce
Dad, if you've got a 3d printer you'll likely enjoy some of the things that came out of THIS THREAD. Namely a printed razor plane and a different sort of sanding block which clamps the paper instead of needing to use stickum of any sort. The portion which covers the sanding block starts with post #273 and runs to the end of the thread. Post 273 being on the second last page for me with my settings.

I've made a couple of the wood versions now and I really like them. Fast and easy paper changes and no tools needed. I'd like to try one with only one screw but I'm worried that the blocks might flex and result in too low a clamping pressure. This would be just fine for model work but perhaps not so suitable for regular wood working where I tend to use more pressure and the hold from a single center wing nut might let the paper slip and go slack. And it's only a couple of extra seconds to undo the second wing nut anyway.

Looking this up reminds me that I need to get back to my Fusion learning too. Fall and the rain is coming and that's soon enough.
Sep 13, 2019, 11:57 AM
^^ A Good Call; thanks.

Quick Reply