This thread is privately moderated by smithdoor, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 17, 2019, 05:26 PM
'Douglas' to his friends.
Ah, I'd not thought of that. Hmm... A paper film, or a coat of varnish..? I might yet be tempted to try this system, as it certainly has many advanteges. Hmm... I'll keep an eye out for steel sheeting... Thanks for the tips.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 18, 2019, 05:42 AM
I went with smaller squares of steel sheet (couple feet on a side from Lowe's) for my current project just to try it out, and really like it. It's not perfect - magnets sometimes stick when you don't want them to, and sometimes to each other - but overall, I have to pin less, things stay put better, and I definitely prefer it.
Jul 18, 2019, 05:45 AM
AutoPilot .
i sure couldnt stand the noise of magnet slapping on that board , i need to be relaxed when building balsa plane
Jul 18, 2019, 09:03 AM
There is a learning curve when starting with magnets, but once you get it figured out they are lots of fun to build with.
Jul 18, 2019, 09:29 AM
'Douglas' to his friends.
Hmm... A crazy idea, maybe, but could it do the job..? How about painting a board with magnetic paint..? The best of both worlds, magnets and/or pins..! Has anyone used magnetic paint successfully, on a work-top or on their walls..? Hmm... Could it work..? I'm tempted...

Jul 18, 2019, 02:18 PM
I'm not sure about that, but when I was experimenting with different thicknesses of steel boards it seemed like the thicker the steel the better the magnets stuck to it.
Jul 27, 2019, 10:06 PM
I bought a Micromark scroll saw and it is fantastic. Come with a fence and angle guide.
Jul 29, 2019, 02:58 AM
helo
Jul 29, 2019, 10:53 AM
Yes, a scroll saw is a great thing!
Jul 31, 2019, 07:43 AM
Owner of CFC Graphics
The "mind" is probably the absolute best tool you have.

Unfortunately, it can sometimes get in the way.
Aug 02, 2019, 03:36 PM
Sailplanes Rock & Balsa Rules!

Sanding Tools

When it comes to sanding, I love my Great Planes Easy Touch Sanding Bars but I also use other sanding blocks. Two tricks that I have found useful -

1) Home Depot and Lowes have free flooring samples that are the perfect size for a sanding block. I get a smooth finished sample and then, using 3M 77 Spray adhesive, I attached sandpaper to the block. Then I trim it using a razor knife to the exact size.

2) For tight spots i attach sandpaper to a Simpson strap tie (98 cents at HD)

In both cases you can peel of the tired paper and replace it with no problem.
Aug 02, 2019, 03:50 PM
Sailplanes Rock & Balsa Rules!

CA - Keeping things Clean

I once read where Acetone works wonders at cleaning out pipettes and CA extender tips. Sure enough, it works like a dream.

I keep a jar sealed with Acetone and drop in the extender tips as soon as I am done using them. Occasionally I will take the top off the CA bottle - cap and spout and drop them in to the acetone. It keeps things from getting clogged and gunked up.

Oh yeah, long handled tweezers help in retrieving the tips from the bottom of the jar. Just touch the tip to a piece of paper towel and the acetone inside sucks right out.

I got extra CA bottle tops - along with CA and tips from Model Merchants - they don't charge S&H either.
Aug 02, 2019, 04:19 PM
I got the last of the Easy touch sanding bars from Great Planes. I had a heck of time finding another 22" bar, but I finally found one and now they are all gone forever...I really like the sanding bars as my hands are big and I can grasp them easily.
Aug 03, 2019, 06:35 AM
You might try asking Michael Selig. I just bought some Great Planes sanding bars from him the other day.

He sells on ebay.

Andy
Aug 03, 2019, 11:22 AM
I will check, I never did find a 33” bar as I think they stopped making those a long time ago. But, for now I have 2 of each size and three of the little short ones.

Quick Reply