Jul 20, 2019, 04:49 PM
Thread OP
I like the boobies - Part 2 - 2nd day of bagging (3 min 46 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Jul 20, 2019, 10:59 PM
pnc
pnc
Looks pretty good to me nice job...

Pete
Jul 21, 2019, 02:01 PM
It's time for me to fly
What's your layup here? Chiffon against the cores, then your printed graphics, light glass outside?
Looks good Nate, especially if it's your first bagging attempt! My first try looked, well let's say, not that good
Jul 22, 2019, 03:33 AM
Themadartist

One more hat in the ring ...

Howdy everyone,

I thought I'd share my intended design for a bagged Elf for myself, and what the test piece looks like.

You'll see in the sketches that I'm only using the fabric in the main wing, and trying to mimic the design onto the tails.

I hope to be painting the mylars this week, with a view to laying up the wing shortly thereafter. I will post some pics of the end result, however it turns out.

Cheers, Steve.
Jul 22, 2019, 11:46 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnc
Looks pretty good to me nice job...
Pete
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimZinVT
What's your layup here? Chiffon against the cores, then your printed graphics, light glass outside?
Looks good Nate, especially if it's your first bagging attempt! My first try looked, well let's say, not that good
Mylar, fiberglass, paper graphics, chiffon, foam, chiffon, fiberglass, mylar.

Learning lots of things. Like if you sharpie the foam it will come through the chiffon and any light pencil gets magnified ALOT and that i really need a very clean area so no stray strands of anything gets in the stack as it is never getting out after it sets lol. Figuring out the correct amount of epoxy will be an ongoing process but im just making personal projects so if its a little heavy thats fine for now.

Really enjoying this type of building. Been haunting this forum section for years and finally felt confident to give it a try.
Jul 22, 2019, 11:48 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy97
Howdy everyone,

I thought I'd share my intended design for a bagged Elf for myself, and what the test piece looks like.

You'll see in the sketches that I'm only using the fabric in the main wing, and trying to mimic the design onto the tails.

I hope to be painting the mylars this week, with a view to laying up the wing shortly thereafter. I will post some pics of the end result, however it turns out.

Cheers, Steve.
Thanks for sharing. My wife has been giving me weird looks with how much time i have been spending looking at cloth on line ha! And i went and picked up some actual cloth scissors and man they make a huge difference over normal office paper scissors. But the only color they had in long bladed Non right handed was pinks
Jul 22, 2019, 11:54 AM
Thread OP
somewhat related i guess, but man i really like how balsa looks sandwiched in fiberglass.
Jul 27, 2019, 12:04 PM
supreme being of leisure
a fin is a fin!

helped a friend with some fins that were carved from laminated balsa and cedar covered in glass...way too pretty for the board he put them on...
Jul 27, 2019, 12:10 PM
Themadartist

In the bag ...

As a follow up to my earlier post, I have now laid up the set of Elf wings with the fabric "inlays". I've done a bunch of layup videos before, but I thought this one was worth documenting. So, here's a link to the video, I hope it's informative in one way or another. Cheers, Steve.

Laying Up The Skull Fabric Elf Wings - 27 July 2019 (23 min 0 sec)
Jul 27, 2019, 04:24 PM
supreme being of leisure
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyHonest
You should consider other peoples feelings as a measure of truth then I guess ?
huh?
Jul 27, 2019, 04:46 PM
Entropy is happening!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyHonest
You should consider other peoples feelings as a measure of truth then I guess ?
Double "huh"??
Jul 29, 2019, 05:43 AM
Themadartist

Finished product ...

To close out this story, the wings came out of the bag today. My normal bagged Elf wings come in at 210 grams per panel.

As anticipated, the fabric inlays soaked up more resin, and the panels came out at 265 grams each. As I've said before, the extra weight is all close to the Cg, so there's no additional penalty from extra balance weight etc.

I'm very happy with the results, knowing of course going in, that the carbon etc. would show through somewhat.

Enjoy, Steve.
Last edited by Guy97; Jul 29, 2019 at 06:19 AM. Reason: Add pics
Aug 02, 2019, 08:39 AM
Slow builder
That looks awesome.

Al
Aug 02, 2019, 09:46 AM
Scott
You said your normal bagged wings come in at 210 grams. Is that painted? If not, by the time you finish one it would probably be about the same.

Cool look either way.

Scott
Aug 02, 2019, 09:51 AM
Themadartist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pylonracr
You said your normal bagged wings come in at 210 grams. Is that painted? If not, by the time you finish one it would probably be about the same.

Cool look either way.

Scott
Yes Scott, that's painted - so it's an apples for apples comparison.

Quick Reply