Jun 04, 2019, 01:10 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

What materials have you tried under fiberglass instead of painting mylars?

I am going to start doing a couple small bagged fiberglass wings to begin learning the process. I have been reading up on different ways people get color and graphics on the wing. Painting the mylars, dying the epoxy, painting the wings after the fact. I have seen in person (but forgot to ask) and a few posts here about using rice paper or other graphics under top layer of fiberglass as well. Even some silk cloth.

I am interested in what types of paper, cloth, etc and thickness can you get away with. I realize a lot of variables are involved, im not looking to make some super strong structure, just an idea of what people like to do to add graphics to your wings.

For instance would napkin work? What type of silk cloth, chiffon? Will other types of cloth work as well? Rice paper seems to work and i would guess tracing paper. I have seen some people have pictures of there kids which i assume the printed out on something and put under. How about newspaper and comic book pages?

Thanks for any tips. I will probably experiment on my own but interested in what others are doing and i think i just don't know the correct terms to search for on rcgroups to get the results. I have been reading thru most of the posts/topics here in the composites section, but may have missed some older ones.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 04, 2019, 03:19 PM
Suspended Account
Silk scarfs in all the worlds patterns or motives have been a popular first layer on the Mylar or in the mold, probably not by the high-end fabricators but that's what makes it so much more fun to be a hobbyist or what
Jun 10, 2019, 07:47 AM
I hate propellors
the Surf board shapers have a set of spray on colours to be applied direct to polystyrene foam, The are cheap and can look good with clear resin.
Jun 10, 2019, 12:48 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by emufingers
the Surf board shapers have a set of spray on colours to be applied direct to polystyrene foam, The are cheap and can look good with clear resin.
That does sound easier. Worth a try. I think at first i will just not worry about it too much, or apply paint on the outside. than once i have more confidence in the steps i will start playing with colors and graphics.
Jun 12, 2019, 04:10 PM
A.K.A sir Crashalot
Im gonna try this https://shop1.r-g.de/en/art/190164 when i get around to it. long ways to go for me yet. i got it when they sold it on rolls tho, someone els might be selling in rolls now.
definatelly gonna print my kids to hav on some hidous contraption
Jun 12, 2019, 04:57 PM
Thread OP
Heres a place that does full color prints on fiberglass for surfboards that you could easily reporpose:
https://www.boardlams.com/pages/photo-gallery-fiberlams

and another

http://www.headlinegraphics.com/new-...?sort=priceasc
Jun 13, 2019, 05:12 AM
Themadartist

One example ...

You might find this video interesting - it's the only vid I've come across that shows the use of an image on (I'm assuming) paper. Enjoy, Steve.

Bagging a foam core dlg wing (10 min 37 sec)
Jun 13, 2019, 09:06 AM
The Junk Man
A friend of our family when we lived in Maine built custom rowing oars. His logo was printed paper under the last glass layer on the blade. Paper disappeared when glassed over and the printed logo stayed visible.

Tom
Jun 13, 2019, 08:33 PM
It's time for me to fly
Here are a few shots I lifted from the "Cervix" thread where he used printed bedsheets under the outer glass layer with really nice results. The thread is here.

I tried lightweight metallic blue fabric under the glass on the tips of some wings. It looked great on the test sample with clear epoxy, but when I bagged the wings I tinted the epoxy yellow and it spoiled the look.
Last edited by JimZinVT; Jun 13, 2019 at 08:45 PM.
Jun 14, 2019, 10:19 AM
Thread OP
thanks for a link to that post. I had actually bookmarked this store as they carry a ton of cool designs and colors in chiffon silk and other materials. I wanted to try them at some point.
https://www.spoonflower.com/en/fabri...fabric=chiffon
Jun 14, 2019, 05:51 PM
It's time for me to fly
I think there are all sorts of cool things you could do with lightweight printed or metallic fabrics in the layup. As long as the added weight is not a problem. Might not be ideal for a DLG wing, but for slope gliders, I'm definitely going to experiment with this.
Jun 16, 2019, 02:12 PM
supreme being of leisure
printed rice paper has been the standard for decades with surfboards, probably lighter than cloth options.
Jun 17, 2019, 12:25 PM
Thread OP
Rice paper is something i want to try, but if you want to do a full wing graphic it would be kind of hard to print out a bunch of rice paper sheets and have them all aligned up and stay put while applying epoxy, i would think.
Jun 19, 2019, 02:15 PM
Barney Fife, Vigilante
It's not too bad. I've used even regular printer paper for logos and stuff on rohacell wings with glass skins. It's pretty easy actually. I think I did some pics in the early pages of the 2011 Fr3aK Zone thread.
Jul 20, 2019, 12:19 PM
Thread OP
I ended up getting some chiffon. Pretty happy with the texture and color that comes thru. also tried just regular office paper and like how it looks on black. This is my first time doing fiberglass and vacuum bagging so please ignore those issues lol

Quick Reply