This thread is privately moderated by DismayingObservation, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 03, 2019, 06:03 PM
Pronoun trouble...
Thread OP
Discussion

Glow model number one flies again!

Reviewed ten years ago.

A faithful, fun model afterwards despite a hard landing.

And...it's back!

My Wings Maker Wingman II, reviewed here in 2009 and again in 2011 as a test bed for a new GWS servo has been sitting for far too long.

It's now back. The fuselage and wing were replaced after a hard landing (the parts were too cheap to justify fixing the old ones), it was flown a few times after that and was relegated to a garage shelf.

I'd swapped in a Thunder Tiger .40 at some point, but it needed work, not to mention parts. The needle valve had an o-ring reduced to goo and the retaining ratchet broke. In went the original Thunder Tiger once I freed up the crank and carb.

Except for a new prop for safety's sake, a new fuel tank, new lines and guidance now provided by a Hitec Flash 8 radio, it's the same as when I parked it. I also have to thank a member of the club for giving me a new glow plug! I flooded the engine while filling it and I lost the gasket when I went to empty it with the starter. Darn thing went flying off, never to be seen again. I thought it had come off with the plug which was already in the engine.

The opaque black plastic canopy had long ago warped in the sun and was replaced by an off-the-shelf clear canopy. That meant I had to install a pilot bust. I don't like ghost ships. An Ace R/C Cap'n Eddy from a crashed Thunder Tiger park flyer was not only a perfect fit, he just seemed right in a model powered by a Thunder Tiger engine.

This past Sunday, up she went. The model is still sold by The World Models and it's as gentle a flyer as I remember it to be. Below are some photos after each of the first two flights. I'd all but forgotten the fun of nitro powered flight. It's also fun for me to note that old investments in the hobby are back in the asset column once more; this is just the first!

Since it's flying on a Hitec Optima 6 receiver, I'll have to go back to an analog aileron servo, but I have a few good ones on hand.
Last edited by DismayingObservation; Jun 03, 2019 at 07:07 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply