Jun 06, 2019, 09:46 AM
Meerkats: Cuter than mere cats
One more trick I've used is to practice on a flight simulator with the model image shrunken down to a few pixels. Learn to infer orientation based upon the direction the model is going and how it responds to your stick input.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 06, 2019, 08:16 PM
In the pictures in post 1, the problem isn't the v-tail, it's that you're not used to looking down on the model while flying. ;-p

I haven't had any more trouble with orientation on v-tails than I've had with other models. If the model is far enough away that I'm having trouble, I probably can't tell the difference anyway.

One problem I've had is a v-tail that's too small. I'm guessing that most model designers have got the memo by now, but in the past that wasn't always the case. For instance, I once measured and figured out that the Graphite II's tail volume was much smaller than that of the Supra. The Mantis, OTOH, had adequate tail volume, though on the ugly version the tail boom should have been stiffer in torsion. Adequate v-tails look too large.
Jun 06, 2019, 08:52 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln
Adequate v-tails look too large.
Agree!
Jun 06, 2019, 08:53 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln
Adequate v-tails look too large.
Agree!

Designers think they're reducing drag maybe, making the tail feathers too small. But you need the same surface area as you'd have with a normal tail. That makes each tail feather equal to the normal stabilizer's width plus half the length of the vertical.
Jun 06, 2019, 09:29 PM
An adequate v-tail may actually be slightly lower drag due to fewer intersections and higher Reynolds numbers. On the other hand, on models like a Supra, where the vertical and horizontal stabs don't intersect, the drag might be lower than for a v-tail.
Jun 07, 2019, 04:33 AM
Thread OP
All good points’ gentlemen, thank you. Yes, image in post #1 is possible on a slope but the main concern there would be to find lift in very quick order
After a fearfully deep concentration effort, my estimate is that the situation depicted in post #12 is the one that in recent times produced some brain fog that with your tips will quickly dissipate
Last edited by joao; Jun 07, 2019 at 07:27 AM. Reason: typo correction
Jun 13, 2019, 01:00 AM
That depends on the slope. There are slopes where you could be looking down on the model as in post #1 and still have lots of lift. Maybe even too much when trying to land.
Jun 13, 2019, 01:19 PM
Thread OP
Very true, thank you.
Lift also can go away unexpectedly as happened here, fortunately without consequences:
Big Gliders - Downwards... (5 min 25 sec)

(I suggest browsing this YouTube channel as it has some amazing slope soaring footage, tastefully accompanied by serene music)
I was once "saved" by a thermal while so deep down in the slope that a rescue party was already forming.

Cheers, Joao
Jun 13, 2019, 06:11 PM
Balsa breaks better
Quote:
Originally Posted by joao
(I suggest browsing this YouTube channel as it has some amazing slope soaring footage, tastefully accompanied by serene music)
Cheers, Joao
Proof that is not just the Notre Dame University Fighting Irish that have luck.

One thing to remember not everything on You Tube University is good.
There is some really bad information there, just ask the Apollo is a hoax crowd . . . ;>)

Joe
Jun 14, 2019, 03:47 AM
Thread OP
Oh yes, lots and lots and lots of garbage there, but also some pretty good content.
For Apollo deniers I think one of the best arguments is that the rival USRR had to be an accomplice as it had tracking capability, the landing was much applauded there and also, unexpectedly, heavily broadcasted (not live I think) in the state TV.
I met one such person once, and with this reasoning, self-doubt settled in for good

Cheers, Joao
Last edited by joao; Jun 14, 2019 at 12:21 PM. Reason: typo correction

Quick Reply