Jun 03, 2019, 11:52 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Minx 300

I started one of these around 2003 or so when I think Electric Jet Factory offered it as a laser cut kit. They even provided pre-cut foam blocks but I remember the foam being very poor quality and poorly cut as well. I had a Vasa 55 fan in it with a brushed 300 but can't remember the motor. I never actually got it flight ready until some years later around 2010 or so but it was not fully finished. I just dug it back out and wanted to see it fly. I didn't even care if it only flew once so I hand launched it in the middle of a rocky area with no place to land. After hand launching it and making a few passes I immediately regretted it. IT FLEW SO WELL! I tried to get it back down in one piece but, no way in hell. So, I decided a couple of months ago to build another one from the plans sold through Sarik Hobbies. I am putting an FMS 50mm 4500kv fan unit in it. We'll see how she does.

BTW, the pink project foam that is sold at my local Home Depot is fantastic. I have been using it for a number of my projects. It has good density/strength and sands well.

Here are some build pics
to remove ads between posts
Jun 03, 2019, 11:56 AM
Thread OP
Lots of foam templates for such a small project. Everything has come together pretty well. I was skeptical of the accuracy of the templates for the foam cutting and shaping.
Jun 03, 2019, 04:26 PM
Thread OP
I bought a hot knife from HWFF's website and it works pretty well. It definitely made life easier when using the templates. Not a whole lot more to do to it before finishing out the surface. I am going to put silkspan on the tail feathers and wings and glass the rest of it. I am also going to use the Deluxe Materials EZE-Kote for the first time. Hope it works as well for me as it seems to be working for other people.
Jun 03, 2019, 08:48 PM
Thread OP
I didn't really care for the way the plans called to mount the nacelle and the fan unit so I came up with something else. The plans have you mounting a plate to the unit that you thread a bolt into through the inside of the fuselage. I decided to mount the fan by letting the front ply plate capture the unit and then run some screws in from the side. The nacelle then slides over it with a small screw in the back. The servo access piece covers the screw when installed.
Jun 03, 2019, 09:16 PM
Design.Build.Fly
Very nice build. A cool blast from the past for sure. I like how you made the inlet ring and then split it. Something I will have to remember. And I would've had to mod the fan mount as well for serviceability.
Jun 04, 2019, 08:13 AM
I know I considered one of these back in the day. Reminds me of an Alphajet.

Good looking work shop
Jul 14, 2019, 08:54 PM
Thread OP
Making some good progress.

The fuse was glassed using 1/2 oz glass and Deluxe Eze-Kote (works well) and the flying surfaces are silkspan and dope with the exception of the top contoured center piece on the wing.

The fuselage only needs a finally sanding before paint and the battery mounts sorted out. I am waiting for all of the primer to go on the wing so the wing's hardware can be reinstalled and brought to the same level of finish as the fuselage. At that point, an accurate CG can be taken and the final placement of the battery can be decided. The wing has a couple coats of primer on it now and hopefully the wing will be done by next weekend. This primer needs a good 48 hours before it can really be sanded without gumming up the sandpaper. I will do the maiden before making her all "pretty".

If she survives the maiden then we can dress her up!
Jul 14, 2019, 09:02 PM
Looks great!
Jul 21, 2019, 09:42 PM
Thread OP

Maiden!

I was able to find a break in the weather and send the ugly duckling into the air. I was instantly reminded of what made me want to build this one again so many years later. This little gem is just a great flyer and she cruises around nicely at half throttle. I was caught off guard trying to land a jet without a working rudder so the landing was a little behind the line of scrimmage. That will take a little getting used to. So now that she's been proven, it's time to start putting the paint on her. Got the base white sprayed on the fuselage and the black on the canopy. Maybe I'll be able to get the wings done this coming weekend but that will give me all week to think about my final trim scheme.

I'll post the maiden video after I get it up on YT
Jul 22, 2019, 09:12 AM
Thread OP
Maiden flight

Minx 300 Maiden (4 min 0 sec)
Jul 28, 2019, 01:48 PM
Where did you find the plans?
Jul 28, 2019, 10:33 PM
Thread OP
From Sarik Hobbies

https://www.sarikhobbies.com/product/minx-mk-2/
Jul 29, 2019, 07:53 PM
Thread OP
I knew that I wanted to airbrush something onto the plane but I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to this. I found an idea that I liked and tried to copy it. I finished up the wing but am still pondering about what to do with the fuse. The paints are water based and not very durable so I decided to keep as much of the airbrushing away from the lower part of the air frame as possible. Nothing will go on the bottom of the wing or around the nacelle and front fuse area where the jet is held when launched. I'll put some paint on the tail feathers since nothing should come in contact with them under normal circumstances.
Jul 31, 2019, 10:36 AM
Pro Hoarder
Super nice work..I like it
Latest blog entry: In flight
Aug 03, 2019, 06:05 PM
Thread OP
I decided against adding the tear marks on the tail and now I think it would have looked better with them, oh well. We will call this one done.

Now back to working on my Pat Tritle Ultimate!

Quick Reply