Jun 06, 2019, 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinh50
Most experienced boaters know that with rtr boats they normally need a bit of work done on them to make them better. Which we are prepared to do considering the cheap prices these boats are, $600 or so for a Geico 36 would cost closer to $2000 for a custom boat to be built & probably wouldn't be much faster if at all. I think there are some great rtr boats around today, lets face it there would be a lot fewer people getting in to rc boats without some of the good rtr boats available today whether it be a $100 boat or a $600 rtr.

I completely agree. I remember when Traxxas started to become a known name back in the 90ís and at first I turned my nose up at the fact they came RTR and not a box of parts like my Tamiya and Associated cars and trucks. 25 years later Iíve owned several and agree that Traxxas did wonders getting new people into the hobby that may have been too intimidated before hand. I never would have gotten back into RC planes if it wasnít for the advent of bind and fly foamies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
to remove ads between posts
Jun 06, 2019, 03:22 PM
big ignore list/drama is dumb
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36Racer
That's the exact reason when it comes to hobbies I typically avoid FB groups and stick with forums. Too many unreasonable tools with uninformed opinions. Granted forums are not impervious to said 'expert' or 'role model'. However, they love the limelight in front of their friends/followers of social media.

To be honest though, I love to troll a troll.
Facebook says it all
I for the most part I just take a seat and watch the dumb from my computer screen... LOL
Jun 06, 2019, 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinh50
Most experienced boaters know that with rtr boats they normally need a bit of work done on them to make them better. Which we are prepared to do considering the cheap prices these boats are, $600 or so for a Geico 36 would cost closer to $2000 for a custom boat to be built & probably wouldn't be much faster if at all. I think there are some great rtr boats around today, lets face it there would be a lot fewer people getting in to rc boats without some of the good rtr boats available today whether it be a $100 boat or a $600 rtr.
Exactly!

this boating hobby would be much smaller if it wasn't for the RTR stuff like this V2 Z36
Jun 07, 2019, 02:58 AM

Pro Boat Miss GEICO Zelos 36" Twin Brushless Catamaran

Here it is. Pictures do it no justice. Truly an absolutely stunning looking boat and the fit and finish is legit.

I did hit the back with a flashlight and found 2 ever so slight imperfections in the FG that I probably wonít even bother with. Iíll try to get decent pics and post tomorrow. I didnít pull the foam and check the bow, but Iím not stressing about it at this point. The boat seems solid.

Pulled both prop shafts and the motor alignment needs no attention and they were both greased well. I literally could have tossed it in the lake out of the box and everything would have been fine. Even the struts were both set at the factory neutral 2.5mm.

Maybe I got lucky, or maybe the 2 documented horror stories and countless trolls are just that. A small sample of the population.

Stoked for the maiden. Need to swap some plugs until the 30 pack of 6mm bullets show up, and I want to put it in the pool to look for leaks. Iím going all bullet connectors so I donít need any harness adapters. I think Saturday morning it will be wet for trial runs.

First impression after holding it in my hands and preliminary inspection is itís a quality piece. If it runs half as good as it looks it just may be the best value FE boat on the market.

Jun 07, 2019, 12:04 PM
Here is the best pics I could get on the two air bubbles(?) I found on the back half of the hull by shining a flashlight through from the outside.

One on the bottom side of the deck behind the hatch and is about the size of a dime. The cloth isnít Ďdryí but the edge just lifted slightly, itís not really an air pocket. I have no concern at all with this one. See the dark pic below.

The other one is on the side of the tunnel a few inches in front of the starboard motor. I marked it with a sharpie in the picture. This is also about the size of a dime and does have an air pocket underneath. But the mat is saturated so itís lot like they didnít use enough resin. I may just leave it or if I feel inspired Iíll poke a hole in it and inject some epoxy.

Iíll pull the foam and inspect the bow, but at this point am not expecting to find anything alarming. I lightly tapped all up and down the sponson edges and tips with the plastic handle of a small screwdriver to listen for soft spots and didnít find any.

On the hardware side, one of the screws that holds the insert down was installed crooked and was stripped. So I pulled the screw, stuck a slice of lexan (I cut a sliver off of an rc car body) in the hole and put the screw back in and will forget about it altogether at this point. Everything else was tight and in perfect order.

Jun 07, 2019, 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36Racer
Here is the best pics I could get on the two air bubbles(?) I found on the back half of the hull by shining a flashlight through from the outside.

One on the bottom side of the deck behind the hatch and is about the size of a dime. The cloth isn’t ‘dry’ but the edge just lifted slightly, it’s not really an air pocket. I have no concern at all with this one. See the dark pic below.

The other one is on the side of the tunnel a few inches in front of the starboard motor. I marked it with a sharpie in the picture. This is also about the size of a dime and does have an air pocket underneath. But the mat is saturated so it’s lot like they didn’t use enough resin. I may just leave it or if I feel inspired I’ll poke a hole in it and inject some epoxy.

I’ll pull the foam and inspect the bow, but at this point am not expecting to find anything alarming. I lightly tapped all up and down the sponson edges and tips with the plastic handle of a small screwdriver to listen for soft spots and didn’t find any.

On the hardware side, one of the screws that holds the insert down was installed crooked and was stripped. So I pulled the screw, stuck a slice of lexan (I cut a sliver off of an rc car body) in the hole and put the screw back in and will forget about it altogether at this point. Everything else was tight and in perfect order.

that looks very good..
again people on the internet (facebook) are taking things way out of proportion.
the glass layup on any RTR is not 100%
now I am seeing and avoiding the haters trying to find more issues by blaming "bubbles" in the glass lay up and ignoring the fact it has 4 layers of glass and the top layer may not have laid down 100%
I have seen worse in my RTR boats in the past and never had an issue with them

Proboat sold thousands of the first generation without many coming apart ( I heard less than 1%), and again they possibly had a very bad crash that would take most any RTR out..

crashing at high speeds in water is like hitting concrete, and things possibly wont go well !
Jun 07, 2019, 06:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55
Again people on the internet (facebook) are taking things way out of proportion.
the glass layup on any RTR is not 100%
now I am seeing and avoiding the haters trying to find more issues by blaming "bubbles" in the glass lay up and ignoring the fact it has 4 layers of glass and the top layer may not have laid down 100%
Got to love the haters...I'll go out on a limb and say that I'll attract a few of them when mine gets in the water.
Last edited by MADRCER; Jun 08, 2019 at 09:10 AM.
Jun 07, 2019, 09:34 PM

Jun 07, 2019, 09:50 PM
What a cool picture. Where did you get that at ?
Factory ?
Jun 07, 2019, 11:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seadaemon
What a cool picture. Where did you get that at ?
Factory ?
That's the KY Model's facility. All it's gonna take is for someone to lay down some 90mph range passes with this boat and all those will sell like hotcakes. My v1 does it with weaker motors and this one should as well.
Jun 07, 2019, 11:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADRCER
Just got to get used to the haters.....I'll go out on a limb and say that I'll attract a few of them when mine gets in the water....
only part I don't like and I won't speak or mention his name but a person I have been in contact for a while now about all this lame bs hate, is the haters against Proboat trying to make something out of nothing..
as we can see above from the factory (KY) where these are put together it is one clean place to work!
not to mention they build high end boats for other countries.
they are selling like crazy already and are being pushed to some good speeds out of the box.
These boats are selling themselves
Jun 07, 2019, 11:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa Twin Spar
Thanks for showing the clean place these boats are made
Jun 12, 2019, 01:23 PM

Got mine today.

Finally show up today
Jun 12, 2019, 01:59 PM
Can the moderators merge the two threads going on this boat right now, into one thread?

Jun 14, 2019, 05:42 PM
found on facebook, dutch rc shop made a test ride with the miss geico zelos 36 2019. everything straight out of the box. lipos are unknown.

Look the video!

Mis geico zelos (0 min 15 sec)

Greetz,

Rik

Quick Reply