Feb 22, 2020, 12:09 PM
Guess I'm the one who dozed off!

The Essie is done -- test flown, fought with, then tossed in the trash. Unstable, twitchy (even when balanced decidedly nose-heavy), and awfully hard to safely see in flight.

Since then, the Eindecker is done and was test flown last Monday (17 Feb). Much better! She flies nicely enough that my wife wants her turn on it, next session. She's also a lot easier to see, as I left off any crosses under the wings.

The pilot, dummy engine, and gun are carved pink foam; the rigging is Spyderwire, joined with rubber bands under the fuse.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 22, 2020, 12:42 PM
CC (Certified Curmudgeon)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Dunsel
Guess I'm the one who dozed off!

The Essie is done -- test flown, fought with, then tossed in the trash. Unstable, twitchy (even when balanced decidedly nose-heavy), and awfully hard to safely see in flight.

Since then, the Eindecker is done and was test flown last Monday (17 Feb). Much better! She flies nicely enough that my wife wants her turn on it, next session. She's also a lot easier to see, as I left off any crosses under the wings.

The pilot, dummy engine, and gun are carved pink foam; the rigging is Spyderwire, joined with rubber bands under the fuse.
I don't think you ever posted a picture of the SE or is my CRS kicking in again?
Feb 22, 2020, 02:02 PM
Quote:
I don't think you ever posted a picture of the SE or is my CRS kicking in again?
No, you're right, I didn't post shots, nor did I do a build thread. I'll plead that this has been a crazy Winter for us. Lots of family things (mainly good), the NPRM, and battle with one club's current Executive board (very bad).

My figuring is that the tail surfaces of the Essie were too small; the rest of the model was essentially a copy of another plane I built; that one is still flying and is an absolute sweetheart. After a few flights and fiddling with incidences, balances, etc., I stripped out the Essie and sent her off to the landfill. It was just too directionally unstable.

Happily, the Eindecker is all we'd have wanted the Essie to be, so we're happy with it. Having said that, if the NPRM passes and the hobby goes the way we fear it will, this'll be our last model weighing over 250 grams.

CD
Feb 24, 2020, 09:06 AM
Thread OP
CD... good report on what you've been doing. It was good to hear that the Eindecker flies well.

The first effort this morning was to assess what exist to work with for the proposed build. Some stuff is left from the Ultra Stick Lite 120. Stabs, Ailerons and even the wing, so the question was to use some of those with the Eindecker or save them for a rebuild of the Ultra Stick.

The wing would require cutting in half and then fitting a wing tube and thus probably better to just build new panels. The vertical stab is the wrong shape so won't work. Thus, it seems wise to think save all of that for a possible rebuild of the Ultra Stick and go new on the Eindecker. The exception is the surplus single ailerons from the Ultra Stick, which were a dual supplied item and not used. Those will be suitable for the Eindecker.

Up next... check the wood inventory and mill out what will be needed for the build.
Mar 21, 2020, 03:13 PM
Thread OP
Finally got something started... the rib template. Well, its a start.

Some know that I like to router cut the ribs, which requires a pattern for the ball bearing on the bottom of the router cutter to follow. I've found the best material to make the pattern is MDF. Because its density is so uniform, it is super easy to follow an outline on a band saw without the blade wandering. As well, it seems resistant to wear by the ball bearing follower on the router bit.

Another plus... it is free. It can be found as waste dunnage at a lumber yard or construction job site.

MDF is also easy to sand out the saw marks and any irregularities of the band saw cut. I've a bench sander with both horizontal belt and circular disc and it is quick work to to sand the pattern to final shape.

To prep the 3/4" piece of MDF, the rib is drawn on paper and adhered to the MDF with spray adhesive.

For the curious, I'm using the same rib pattern as the 30cc Ultra Stick.

Quick Reply