CC (Certified Curmudgeon)
I think its called oldagers disease...
to remove ads between posts
Jun 26, 2019, 07:41 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerinokc
I think its called oldagers disease...
Yikes... that is scary... thinking the only cure would be to get rid of all the junk....

Life without junk... can that really be imagined? Just think of how many more trips to the hardware store.
Jun 26, 2019, 07:48 AM
Yep, and if you are like me you are the first stop when the kids need advise, tools, and materials.
Jun 26, 2019, 08:00 AM
Thread OP
A story from this week. And.. this story starts to get a bit personal... so indulge me for a moment.

Sat and Sunday, I suffered vertigo... something I get every few years, and was probably brought on by last Fridays efforts that had me in and out of the house a lot, and transitioning many cycles of hot and cold.

Needless to say, there was no shower for a couple of days so Monday morning one seemed wise and I was feeling better but not completely up to snuff... so decided on a bath. My wife has been using one of those shower chairs so instead of moving it, I decided to just go to the hall bath.

After a time, the ceiling exhaust fan that automatically comes on with the light, went silent... it had stalled or thermally shut down. That hadn't happened before. The truth of course, was I'd dozed in the tub and no one had used that bathroom for any extended time in many years.

Yesterday... the ailing exhaust fan was dug into....er, dug out of 41 years of accumulated dust.

Yep... time is a player.
Jun 26, 2019, 08:11 AM
I can so relate! In my front bathroom there is a round ceiling mounted heater that was put in when the house was built in 1964. Well I have always thought it was antique brass. So last year my daughters in-law and myself are redoing the bathroom. The wallpaper came off, new paint applied, new wood look ceramic tile and a coat of bright white ceiling paint to finish it off. So while painting the ceiling the round heater gets brush accidentally with a streak of paint so I take a wet rag and wipe it off. The ceiling heater is shiny aluminum in that spot! Down comes the heater for a good cleaning! The original owners before me smoked so that explains the color.
Jun 29, 2019, 09:39 AM
Thread OP
No actual construction yet... but planning continues and while doing that, it occurred to me that I've not commented on the prime goal of the design. Having built and added several planes to the fleet in recent years, all but Big Red (gone now) have been light to moderate wind flyers. Other than an Ultra Stick that is getting old... there is not a good windy day flyer in the fleet.

Needed, is a sport windy day machine... and the design parameters have that in mind.
Jul 01, 2019, 10:39 AM
AMA 910957
Onboard!

EJ
Sep 18, 2019, 05:48 PM
Thread OP
Building season is not far off again.

A few months back, I made a trade for a Saito 1.80 with the plan to convert it to gas. A timing ring was done a while back and today the engine got timed and mounted on the test stand and run without problem. In fact I'm super impressed with it on gas and now thinking my winter project should use it.

That leaves me wondering how to best use the personality of this four stroke.
Sep 23, 2019, 05:34 PM
Thread OP
Ok gents... I think I've committed to where the winter build will go. Having been very impressed with the gas conversion of the Saito 180, I want a project to use it in and the four stroke sound kinda fits something other than a Plain Jane stick.

But... for those who have read the previous portions of this thread, a goal of the next build was to obtain another windy day flier as I'm now overloaded on light air fliers. So.... my thoughts are to build stick qualities having an Eindecker look. The four stroke sound will fit such a personality.

The variations from stick qualities will be that it will have antic wheels, an Eindecker looking cowl, and a mid wing configuration (wanted to do that anyway).

With that said... thoughts in the next couple of weeks have their marching orders.
Sep 23, 2019, 07:57 PM
I've been having the same kind of thoughts.

Right now, I have a stand-very-far-off scale SE5a on the building table; once it's done, I plan to build the Eindecker I've been drawing (Note, please, that I'm still working on some bits, such as the cowling). It's a bit smaller than AA5BY's intent, as I'm (1) allergic to balsa and (2) strictly an Electric flier (quit Glow in 1987).

Not trying to compete with anyone, just thought the coincidence was worth noting!

CD
Sep 23, 2019, 08:57 PM
Thread OP
Hey CD... glad you popped in. My build threads are loose.

I get your switch to electric... some of my flying friends have done the same. I've moved mostly to gas...haven't added any new glow in more than ten years and rarely fly the old ones.

I'll need a plan... perhaps the one you linked or an Outer Zone and have Hemkiller print it to whatever span I conclude will match the Saito 180 running on gas. I'm thinking 90-100" but haven't slept on it yet. All the plan has to do is provide the outer form. Almost certain a symmetrical foil will be used.
Sep 23, 2019, 10:24 PM
Looks like a good design to me CD.

Mike
Sep 24, 2019, 06:03 PM
Thanks, guys. The Eindecker is almost done being drawn, but I won't be able to get to it until I get the SE ('Essie') done.

Good luck on the Eindecker, AA5BY, the Eindeckers were good looking planes!

CD

Quick Reply