Jun 02, 2019, 12:30 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Standoff (very) Eindecker Build

Edit note: some change of direction, one might like to skip to post # 23.

During the closing comments of the Fly Baby build, what next was tossed on the table and it seems that it might be a 30's Stick. In a letter to a friend, an outline of what was on the shelf that could be built was offered but the list didn't include any thing that enthused.

Having wanted to build a mid wing stick, a 30's stick is now contemplated to be the next build project. It will possibly have the following parameters.
  • mid wing
  • rounded tips
  • horizontal stab above rather than below
  • text covering and paint finish
  • 35cc power

The project might make use of the stabs that survived from my Big Red. I've a carbon fiber wing tube that would suit the build and carbon fiber gear strut and Dubro air wheels as well as a 35cc engine.

The plan

The plan I drew for Big Red would provide the base structure, but without the round cowl and fore & aft turtle decks. The other change is that it would be constant chord of about eight feet. I'm thinking it probably would include flaps.

Big Red was a good flyer... and a stick version without the cowl and decks and built up instead of foam core wing would be lighter.

Other than a little muffler work on the Fly Baby, my boards are clear and ready to proceed. An airfoil size would be a first consideration and the mean chord that Big Red had might work.
Last edited by AA5BY; Sep 23, 2019 at 05:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 02, 2019, 07:39 PM
Look at how John Morgan is building his foam wings. Light, easy to build and strong.

L.
Jun 02, 2019, 07:40 PM
Not sure what RCG did, but not surprised either!

L.
Jun 02, 2019, 08:08 PM
Thread OP
I'd be happy to look at a light weight and strong foam method but I've been very happy making conventional balsa ribs using a router and then ganging them and making the spar notches with dado blade on a radial saw.

Part of the issue is that I've more balsa than I can use and no foam. I also mill my own spar material.
Jun 02, 2019, 08:36 PM
Good enough!

L.
Jun 04, 2019, 08:24 PM
Thread OP
Big Red's stabs were retrieved from upstairs storage in the outbuilding and they are in good shape and will be stripped of covering in prep to use in this build.
Jun 07, 2019, 07:42 PM
Thread OP
Did some work on the drawing today, making a few changes on the Big Red plan. Of the issues looked at.
  • positioning the wing tube between the forward spars
  • establishing the gear strut position
  • running a CG analysis on an aircraft center of gravity calculater
  • establishing the width of to suit the intended gear strut
  • Insuring the necessary ground clearance

Wanted is the wing tube to be at CG as it is easy to loop a string on the tube when balancing and that has been worked out.

Wanted was an ideal gear position so as to not be too tippy when taxing but not so tail loaded that the plane wants to fly off the ground. This means about a 17-19 degree inclusive angle between a line from the wheel perpendicular to the datum line and then from the wheel to the CG point on the datum line.

Needed was the CG position to establish the gear position.

On hand is a carbon fiber strut of six inches width so will built the width to suit it. With 4.5 inch wheels, it will provide four inches of ground clearance... which is slightly more than needed but appreciated on our rough field.
Jun 07, 2019, 09:02 PM
Thread OP
A few other comments. The wing tube will be a carbon fiber given to me after salvaging it from a demised plane.

The engine will be an MLD 35cc, which had powered Big Red. It has traditionally powered a Vess 20A prop.

Setup will be 0-0-0.
Jun 08, 2019, 01:46 PM
Thread OP
In prep to cut out the fuselage box sides, needed was the wing tube to size the holes for it and I've hunted hi and low... and can't find it. I know where two sets of carbon tubes and sockets were when starting the Fly Baby build because I remember choosing one of them, the shorter of the two figuring the flying wires would be the main wing support system, so the longer would be saved for a build having no struts or flying wires.

I thought I knew where it should be, where both had been kept on the back of an over the door wing rack... but it isn't where it is supposed to be.... and when that happens... I'm screwed, because then there is no telling where it might be. Aging has taken its toll... because I've no clue where it is.
Jun 08, 2019, 10:30 PM
Thread OP
Still have not found the carbon fiber wing tube.

Alternatively...there is a 1.20 size Spacewalker upstairs in the outbuilding storage missing the last two bays of one wing panel and the fuselage is in good shape... but I didn't care for the airplane and have no desire to repair the wing. The tip got tore up when hitting the crash fence after one of the springs on the tail wheel broke loose.

At any rate, I thought about scrapping it and using the wing tube from it.... and that wing tube is missing as well... though it could have been bent when the wing was damaged.... I don't recall.

Maybe there is a storage tube with these wing tubes in it someplace.... but if so, it hasn't surfaced yet.
Jun 09, 2019, 05:48 AM
Thread OP
Awoke at 5 am which is fairly usual for me and immediately scanned my memory again about the wing tube. Nothing was there. I've no memory of giving it to someone or moving it from where I thought it was.

Yesterday, a suitable 1" aluminum tube was found in my metals stash. It is the remainder of an 8' section bought for a boat project and is 40" long so about right for an eight foot span wing. Needed was receiver tubes, and when awakening this morning... I'd wondered if some cardboard tubes within plastic covering material would be suitable.

Luck has it that there were a few rolls of a product called Aerospan with lightweight cardboard tubes nearly perfect for the 1" tube. If the carbon fiber tube is not found... this combo is a suitable alternative.

Update... upon unrolling the covering from the Aerospan tube, the cardboard tube has very little integrity. From there, I went back to try the 1" tube in the damaged Spacewalker wing... it was a very tight fit, but reaching within with fingers, indicated that the receiver was substantial. This prompted testing to see if the inside of the receiver could be sanded to a good fit for the 1" tube and that proved easily done.

So, I've determined to stop the unsuccessful hunt for the carbon tube and go with the 1" aluminum tube and the receivers out of the Spacewalker wings.
Last edited by AA5BY; Jun 09, 2019 at 02:09 PM.
Jun 25, 2019, 10:49 PM
Thread OP
Another hunt was engaged to find the engine drill template, and it too was unsuccessful so a new template was made... grrr... I thought the engine came with one but could find no shipping box for the engine or the template in any obvious place.

Other than effort on the drawing, making the engine template and stripping covering from the used stabs... no construction so far.

I will outline the process contemplated. Typically, I like to build a fore box from 1/8 lite ply. To this is added 1/16" A/C ply doublers that bond the firewall, gear support structure and wing tube. The aft end is given a Vee tail post section to bolt the stabs to. The fore box and aft section are finally overlaid with longerons and stick framed.

Tab construction was used on the Fly Baby box and went well so likely will be used.
Jun 26, 2019, 01:45 AM
I feel your pain. I’ve lost so many parts over the years. It’s a rule though, they pretty much always show up after getting a replacement. I had a SIG Super Chipmunk that went into limbo. It was the first full fuselage control line airplane I built so I remember building it very clearly even though it was about 45 years ago. I have no idea what happened to it. I didn’t crash it and I no longer have it but no idea what happened to it. Someone got a nice airplane. It was doped in the box picture color scheme. Wish I could remember.
Jun 26, 2019, 07:14 AM
CC (Certified Curmudgeon)
I'll bet once you replce the missing items they will magically reappear! Happens to me all the time.
Jun 26, 2019, 07:29 AM
Thread OP
Yep... the lost stuff often shows up.

Another player in all of this is the quantity of collected junk.... er stuff. The quantity invariably requires several locations, so it is not just a question of looking for something, but imagining where.

Many years ago, I thought my retired father in law was quite amusing. He had been a chief engineer for an oil company and thus technically inclined and like many of us, tended to collect anything mechanical that might someday be of some use to a project. His strength was that he could tell you if he had something and his weakness was he had no idea where it was. He spent a good bot of time hunting stuff.

As it turns out... I should have restrained my amusement... because he was much better than I at recall of what existed among the stuff. I'm now in the boat of not remembering what or where.

Quick Reply