This thread is privately moderated by UpNup, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 01, 2019, 09:05 PM
Who are these that fly?
Thread OP
Mini-HowTo

Wheels for P-51B - balsa and ply!

Making my own wheels has been an interesting project. Using layers of balsa and basswood ply has been a challenge, but theirs texture looked like tread. The last part was building a "receptacle" into which they can fit inside the wings between #4 and #6 rib.

I've made my own plans on this. And except for pinching my thumb and later my palm with linesman's pliers working the 1/8" wire, it was relatively painless and full of good sanding effort.

The wheels were rattle can spray painted with Testor’s flat black and I used clear flat matte spray lacquer on the finished wheels for protection and durability. The hubs were dry brushed with Testor’s silver enamel. They were affixed with Gorilla Glue 5-min. Epoxy.

UPDATE: After building 3” diameter balsa wheels, I added rubber tread. I’m a cyclist and skidded to a stop at an intersection. It tore a hole in my rear tire. Hmm... I cut 3/8” strips from the tire that were 10” long and epoxied them in place. I had to repaint where I sanded and masked off the rubber before hitting it with a couple of coats of matte finish rattle can spray. In retrospect, strips from inner tubes would have been easier.
Last edited by UpNup; Jun 21, 2019 at 04:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply