Jun 04, 2019, 12:06 AM
Mongo like wind. Wind Good.
I never said "those who run the contests" are type A's Ryan. Read that again. I was refering to the few that get way too serious competing in this hobby. That takes a whole lot of fun out of it when that happens.

I too flew in contests in one of the largest soaring clubs on the west coast back in the 1990's. I was a member of SVSS for 7 years until I had to move for work. I live in a very rural setting now where flying sites are few and clubs just don't exist locally. The local hobby shop closed a few years ago and now the FAA is fully involved in our hobby. Good times,eh?

The comment I made about the club events getting too competitive happened back then and I started to fly on weekdays only and just be at the weekend contests for the guys I made friends with. I also helped run the winches and retreivers at the contests as well. I just didn't care to fly IN the contests in my later days there. I was semi-broke as I was not making much money then and the last straw for me was when one of the more senior club members ridiculed my equipment and chuckled in a mocking sort of way. That was it. No more flying in contests. He was a bully too.

Anyway, that's the long and short of it. I certainly did not mean to offend anyone. I just wanted to share my past experience so you can see where I came up with my original comment. If you want more people in your contests try to head off anything that makes it "not so fun" anymore.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 04, 2019, 12:07 AM
IT'S NOSE HEAVY!!!!
I have fun on the slopes and compete/compare/contrast against myself.

Methinks all'y'all thermal guys could give yerselves a boost from a different angle... An affixed ground point.

"Kick the can" with your plane while remaining airborn afterward... do endless halfpipes while trying to hit that same can while inverted during that halfpipe arc, etc.....be kids again!

Whilst y'all drift away downwind seeking "The Ether", we slice and dice along WITH the wind, screaming down from the heavens like a banshee in the pursuit of hitting the exact same point in space... a friggin' empty soda can outside of the ether.

Now... How do i get thermal pov drone guys to SLOPE soar with us?!
Jun 04, 2019, 07:18 AM
The Mr. Rogers of RC soaring
Thread OP
V1v, I feel if you had started with:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1VrV2
I too flew in contests in one of the largest soaring clubs on the west coast back in the 1990's. I was a member of SVSS for 7 years until I had to move for work. I live in a very rural setting now where flying sites are few and clubs just don't exist locally. The local hobby shop closed a few years ago and now the FAA is fully involved in our hobby. Good times,eh?

The comment I made about the club events getting too competitive happened back then and I started to fly on weekdays only and just be at the weekend contests for the guys I made friends with. I also helped run the winches and retreivers at the contests as well. I just didn't care to fly IN the contests in my later days there. I was semi-broke as I was not making much money then and the last straw for me was when one of the more senior club members ridiculed my equipment and chuckled in a mocking sort of way. That was it. No more flying in contests. He was a bully too.

Our interaction would have been a lot different. That post provides nuance and actionable info. I often fly some pretty ratty equipment. I too often get snide comments (and those are usually from the people I think actually like me!) about my planes. That sucks. This post gives at least 2 things the community could actually do to improve things. Be nicer/more accepting of people of all kinds of levels in this hobby and be more appreciative to people that spend their time volunteering at contests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityevader
I have fun on the slopes and compete/compare/contrast against myself.

Methinks all'y'all thermal guys could give yerselves a boost from a different angle... An affixed ground point.
City,

I can't speak for all of us "thermal guys" but I know a lot of us really enjoy slope soaring and would do it more often if we had slopes to enjoy in our areas. Many (maybe most) of us don't. I really enjoy finding and riding thermals but I would totally fly a lot of slope too if I could. I don't know if you have ever been to Indiana (if you haven't it is great you can easily avoid a city as your name indicates you like to do) but we have 2 good slopes that I am aware of (I have flown both) one of which I think isn't currently allowed to be used. Both are several hours from where I live unfortunately.

Ryan
Jun 04, 2019, 07:26 AM
Ryan your arrogance is overwhelming at times. Personally, I've seen a "you" on multiple forums, almost every one. I wouldn't put you in the "Troll" category, but you're getting close to earning that reputation. I don't understand your definition of "fun" or that of the other "you's" mentioned above, who participate in various forums in a certain manner, and yes, your ridicule of others has worn thin.

I'm sure you're a nice enough guy when not behind a keyboard, but at this point, I regret ever even participating early in this thread.

This thread has gone downhill because frankly, I don't believe it was ever intended to seek answers and have an honest discussion, but rather, to do just what was intended, to stir the pot. The off-handed remarks, smart alec/know it all attitude, thinly veiled insults, even the referencing people as "Mr.____ " disrespectful, etc. is your brand of "fun"? Well, alrighty then...

I'm rather new to RCG but not new to forums, I've been on various ones for years and thus, not exactly naive' about how they work. I typically participate to seek and offer advice, to learn, to participate with like minded individuals about whatever the subject may be. I thought perhaps this thread had some merit, but for that to happen, the intention has to be honest. Perhaps it started out that way, I can't judge what was in your heart. I can only see where it has gone and a large part of that is your particular brand of humor...what you call "fun". No thanks.

You seem to take exception to anyone who is uncomplimentary. One must show respect to receive respect. Some of these guys on here have been "running the show" since before you or some others of us were even born.
Being patronizing and condescending is unbecoming period. It comes off as arrogant, immature, and disrespectful. Eventually no one will take someone like that with any seriousness at all.

So if we ever meet in person, I'm sure we could fly and have a good time. But I personally have tired of your modus operandi on here, and apparently others have as well.

I offer this not as an insult or intentional slam at you(though I realize it likely will be taken as such) or to belittle you, but for the purpose of perhaps, causing you to consider how you interact with others. So take it FWIW.
And yes, I know you probably don't care what a faceless unknown in another state thinks, so carry on as you see fit. I just think you have valuable insight and wisdom to offer if you could get over yourself, and wear a little humility which goes a long way with earning respect.
Jun 04, 2019, 07:34 AM
Sonoran Laser Art
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwoebke
Corky,

I’m not sure why I would have started a thread “how to grow contest participation” if I hadn’t ever participated in a contest.....

I flew my first contest in 1996 and have flown at least one contest (some years it was only one brief flight at one single contest) every year since. Sadly I haven’t been able to do the 15-20 contests per year some folks in this community are able to but some years I get in 5 or more contests. I do fly alone frequently but also fly often with one other person. In April I even flew with a guy that you know that shares his name with a somewhat controversial soda company.

I’m sensitive to people’s interweb privacy so if I’m at a non organized flying session I only post pictures of me. If I’m at an organized event then I post pictures of anyone and everything. I may even be flying with you before you know it.

I like to have fun here on rc groups. I have ideas that are a bit out there sometimes and have ways of having fun here that can be unique. I like to use self deprecating humor. V1v clearly came in this thread to have some fun so I decided to have some fun as well.

Ryan
I understand better now. For me it's a lot more fun flying with others even if it's just one. I have flown alone a few times but it's usually just a quick trip to maiden or try something. When people enjoy each other's company it doesn't really matter to me if it's a contest or fun fly. Conversely if your not treated well by someone you may not come back. I think that means to grow contest people need to be inviting, respectful, and nice. Add food and it's a winner.
Last edited by CloudSniffer; Jun 04, 2019 at 07:47 AM.
Jun 04, 2019, 07:51 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashbound
This thread has gone downhill because frankly, I don't believe it was ever intended to seek answers and have an honest discussion, but rather, to do just what was intended, to stir the pot. The off-handed remarks, smart alec/know it all attitude, thinly veiled insults, even the referencing people as "Mr.____ " disrespectful, etc. is your brand of "fun"? Well, alrighty then...
Crash (I guess I won't call you Mr. Bound....),

I started this thread because I thought it was an interesting if slightly different topic posed by Don C in the "should the Nats be moved" thread. If people respond with constructive info then I won't post any flippant remarks. The very first post was a flippant one from Marc about dead horses. So that got a flippant response. But then after that you, Mike, Corky, and later Art and Don H posted some nuanced thoughtful stuff. I thought those were thoughtful responses and I responded thoughtfully. Right after that though I got a nice personal attack which interestingly only Mike seemed to take even mild offense too. I didn't personally care much about the attack because I'm here in this forum to take insults because if I dish it out I'll take it back gladly. Then we got some flippant posts about wimps that I had some fun with. Then I misread what V1v was doing I thought it was a group attack which now I understand it wasn't. Now we are here.

Regarding the "Mr.____ " I make an effort to think of each person here on 'Groups as a real person. If they use their name or if I know it I use it. If they don't (and that is fine everyone is absolutely free to use their name or not) then in my head you become "Crash Bound", Corky was "Cloud Sniffer", etc. and I either use the beginning part of your handle as your first name or sometimes Mr. and then the end of your handle as if that was your last name. I do that in an effort to think of each person here as a person.

You may be right that sometimes I take the humor a bit far. I'll work on that. I'm not going to stop responding with flippancy to other flippant comments however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashbound
So if we ever meet in person, I'm sure we could fly and have a good time.
I'm fairly confident of that. Almost everyone I have met in RC soaring has been very cool. My guess is we will meet and fly together some day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudSniffer
I understand better now. For me it's a lot more fun flying with others even if it's just one. I have flown alone a few times but it's usually just a quick trip to maiden or try something. When people enjoy each other's company it doesn't really matter to me if it's a contest or fun fly. Converely if your not treated well by someone you may not come back. I think that means to grow contest people need to be inviting, respectful, and nice. Add food and it's a winner.
This is all good stuff. Except I do enjoy flying by myself too as it is a kind of head clearing opportunity. I would like to have a big sailplane club to fly with regularly but that hasn't really ever been my situation in my time here in this hobby.

Ryan
Jun 04, 2019, 02:22 PM
Ryan, we really need to stick together today. The media and FAA are stomping us HARD right now. I know you love this hobby. Maybe you are getting a bit burnt out. Take a break if you need to. We are still a collective group here.

Don't get too cynical as those of us on RCG all have a common interest.

We are not the enemy and we need strong PR people fighting for us. Thanks for doing that.

Jun 04, 2019, 02:41 PM
Thread OP
I think things we can do ( or should do. Or shouldn't do) to be proactive with the FAA or the media would be an interesting thread on its own. I'm not going to copy your post and start it, however.

Looping proactive good PR with media/FAA into this grow contest thread I could see that some soaring contests might make for good publicity. I think something like this would be good for publicity: https://rocketcontest.org/

Ryan
Jun 04, 2019, 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwoebke
I think things we can do ( or should do. Or shouldn't do) to be proactive with the FAA or the media would be an interesting thread on its own. I'm not going to copy your post and start it, however.

Looping proactive good PR with media/FAA into this grow contest thread I could see that some soaring contests might make for good publicity. I think something like this would be good for publicity: https://rocketcontest.org/

Ryan

Yes. agreed Ryan!

Make it happen.

Jun 04, 2019, 05:18 PM
Ryan, the flippant r3mark was because how many times have you started a thread like this and it basically is exactly the same result everytime. This dead horse left the barn a decade ago or so and was run over by apathy (guilty as charged) and a decline of contest interest. As a type A competition guy, when contests began to die, my interest went with it. I did my best to invest time back as a contest worker and manager to balance what I got out of contest soaring, which was tons of fun.

This subject has been beat to death, by so many, especially you Ryan. I realize you are the Mr. Rogers of RC soaring, which I guess someone has to be it. But, bottom line, all competitions have declined in RC, we are not unique and if they move the Nats to Salina, KS, it will die and make all th3 anti-contest folks happy. There will be folks out there flying around, but to us TA types, fun flying sucks cause we can always find lift when it does not matter.

Marc
Jun 04, 2019, 07:13 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by V1VrV2
Yes. agreed Ryan!

Make it happen.

I know the people that created that event. And I know the community that organizes it. I know Iím not them. And I know this is a different community. That isnít an indictment just a realistic evaluation.

Ryan
Jun 04, 2019, 07:18 PM
Thread OP
I donít have a problem with your flippant post, Marc. I just used it to express that very few of us are angels here. We all go back and forth. Iím going to make an effort to be less snarky. But if people want to be flippant and come at me expect that Iíll probably return the action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.M. Gellart
I realize you are the Mr. Rogers of RC soaring, which I guess someone has to be it.
I like that. Iím changing my RC Groups slogan to that.

Ryan
Jun 04, 2019, 08:15 PM
Glad to suggest it Ryan, and Mr. Rogers was a nice guy...

Marc
Jun 04, 2019, 08:40 PM
The King Moonracer of balsa.
Ryan, the next picture you post of yourself needs to show you in a button down sweater and slippers. Plus you need to end every post with "won't you be my neighbor".

Wayne
Jun 04, 2019, 08:58 PM
The big picture as to why the numbers are dropping at events is hard to to answer. I’ve seen the same thing in other activities. The why is always a question. Others actives and economy are often stated as to why.

My experience indicates that the best are just so much better. The same ones win most of the time. So if you are compitive person one either put in the time and money or walk away. That’s why I hear of different class like sportsman, master, and others.

Art

Quick Reply