Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Feb 07, 2005, 04:13 PM

Mike Roach DH-2 Take 2

Hello All:

Finished my DH-2 over the weekend (pictures below). I owe a HUGE thanks to many of you who have given me advice over the past couple of months and most importantly to Frank vonJaerschky and his thread which pretty much laid out the good standard construction process for this bird. Danke Herr Frank. I took the outrunner motor, the carbon fiber booms, the softflex thread, and addiing ailerons right out of your play book. On the other hand, I did simplify/cheese out on a few other aspects of your build including using the DARE 9 cyl. motor, using seperate aileron servos in the lower wings, making the 'fiddly bits' out of dowels and ply insted of metal, and using custom decals instead of painting. I also glassed the nose to give it a bit more strength...

The DH-2 is an unusual plane and I enjoyed all of the rigging and logistics involved. Hats off to Mike Roach for a great design and plans.

Here are some of the stats on the plane...

1) Motor is a PJS 800 E outrunner. Probably too much power for the plane.. these things aren't supposed to fly straight up are they??
2) Battery is a 8 cell 800 NIHM
3) Covered in Documam... thanks to all of you who encouaged me to use it.. this is great stuff after you get the hang of it. MUCH stronger than silkpan and takes paint pretty well as everyone has been saying.
4) Paint is Floqul 'doped linen' this stuff seems to have a bit of a green hue to it... should it?? Gotta love the 'no smell' aspect of acrylic paint. This is my first non dope plane.
5) Plane has 4 hitech 55 servos and a 555 receiver.
6) AUW comes out to 24 oz. A bit porkier than Frank's 20oz.. I can blame it on the motor and batts, but I am sure I could trim some fat on my building techniques. Hope this is still ok.

Anyway here are some pics. Happy to answer any questions. I strongly recommend this plane and plans to any of you wanting to try something a little different.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 07, 2005, 05:17 PM
Formerly "vonJaerschky"
She's a beauty, well done! I'm glad I was able to help. You will really enjoy flying her, it is a real sight in the air. Too bad we're so far apart, I'd love to see a flight of these in the air at the same time. Once again, great work!
Feb 07, 2005, 06:40 PM
That looks super, I've always thought that the front office of a DH-2 would have had a heck of a view when being thrown about. Where do you fly around Oakland? I'm in Hayward.
Feb 07, 2005, 07:51 PM
Frank, it would be a great to do a tandem flight... sometime perhaps . I will first have to establish that this plane is airworthy! Thanks again for your great advice and for paving the way on this build. There were a number of times I referred to your thread to keep me on the right track.

vonZipper. Thanks as well. Yes, the same thoughts come to my mind about this plane. Those brits were nuts (and extremely brave) to go up in this bag of strings. Must have been a crazy and freezing ride up there. At least they didn't have to worry about oil in their face or the machine gun shooting off the propeller! Another quality that does NOT come to mind regarding the design of this plane is aerodynamic! I reckon it will glide about as well as a cardbord box with the power off! To answer your other question, I have been flying out in a little empty field in Orinda.. It is a great place to fly... SMALL planes, and a lousy field for bigger birds. It has taught me to fly tight circuts! Where to you fly? I am looking for a bigger field to tell you the truth. Be nice to meet you sometime.

Alex
Feb 07, 2005, 08:27 PM
Formerly "vonJaerschky"
You'll find the glide isn't all that bad, believe it or not. Yes, you need to be careful with all that drag and the light weight, because it does not have a lot of momentum. But it has a very forgiving stall. If your PJS is anything like my Nippy, you will have heaps of power available.
I can't help noticing your anenna wire. Running the antenna on this little beastie is a real pain, because if it comes loose and winds up in that prop.... I got an E-Products "Lightenna", and it has made anntenna routing much easier because it is a lot shorter than the stock Hitec antenna. I haven't noticed any reduction in range at all. Not that you'll be flying this beauty far away. I love to keep it close and just marvel at the magic of flight!
Feb 07, 2005, 10:13 PM
Frank. Good to hear that the DH-2 actually glides with all these draggy parts and wires. As for the Lightenna.. can you just plug it into the regular hitec receiver? I was worried about the antenna getting stuck in the prop and thought I might tie it off somehow for flight. Thanks for the tip.

Alex
Feb 08, 2005, 05:29 AM
Formerly "vonJaerschky"
You have to cut off a large chunk of your old antenna. They include a short length of straw that you slip over your old receiver wire and slide right up to the case. Then cut where it sticks out of the straw, and solder on the Lightenna. I was worried at first too, but as I said, no problems and it is a lot easier to run the antenna wire. My antenna now exits the front of the fuselage and I have it taped to the leading edge of the lower wing. The antenna goes out to about the middle of the leading edge. The antenna wire is red, but it is thinner than a stock antenna wire, and it doesn't trail behind the airplane so it is much less noticabe. I will definately be buying Lightennas for all my small electrics. There's an old thread on E-Zone with lots of info, and where to order them: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...hlight=Litenna
Last edited by Wolpertinger; Feb 08, 2005 at 05:32 AM.
Feb 08, 2005, 07:49 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Very nice build. Good luck.

J
Feb 08, 2005, 04:56 PM
Thank you J..

Frank, I will follow your lead once again with the lightenna. It looks perfect for the needs of this plane. Unlike your quick turn around into the air, I will probably wait a few months before the first flight. I just munched my Heinkel 111 (see "Tom Hunt's 111 thread) on maiden and I need to get this plane fixed and flying sucessfully before I try my luck with the DH-2. I do build the planes to fly, but I generally wait until I have finished my next build so I have some time to hang it up and look at it. Gives me a little time to forget how much time I sunk into the project!

Alex
Feb 09, 2005, 02:45 AM
Alex, That looks just great, well done..........another great Mike Roach DH2 takes to the air.
I say, you can't get enough of the unusual pusher types.......

My DH1 will be test flown as soon as the weather here is kinder!

Ian
Feb 09, 2005, 07:32 PM
Hi Ian:

Good luck with your first flight. Do you have a completed pic to share.. I didn't recall seeing the final product on your thread, but I could be wrong. Is that pic the real thing? If not, it really looks the part. Alex
Feb 10, 2005, 02:57 AM
I have yet to take final photo's, hopefully this weekend......but I have lots of other issues of late to deal with.
The posted picture in #10 just happens to be a large IC model that has been doing the scale comp rounds here in the UK.......I thought that it was a nice flying picture.

Ian
Aug 08, 2005, 06:12 PM
Formerly "vonJaerschky"
Hey there Rekitter - Any update on your DH2? Have you flown her yet?
Aug 13, 2005, 02:56 PM
Lori, hey, you're home early
I've just taped together enlarged plans/3-views from the recent FSM issue devoted to th FE8. I scaled it to a prop size of 10" so that I can use a 4-blade GWS prop and as yet to be purchased outrunner and Dare dummy radial. Will be built using my usual method and materials: foam blocks and Depron with a minimum of wood. The wingspan escapes me for the moment and the plan is not at hand.

Alex and Frank-- Nicely done planes!

Mike
Oct 10, 2005, 02:06 AM
Hey All:

At long last the DH-2 finally took to the air. She flies great.. plenty of power, CG just right, very slow and looks great. I have spent the past several months working out several kinks and having problems with the ESC. It was a thrill . I had my very experienced friend fly and trim her for me.. everything was going great.. he handed me the controls and the next thing it was doing a nose dive.. it was pretty windy so that was probably the culprit.. in any event we did an unscheduled landing and did a little damage to one strut and the landing gear, but nothing at all serious.

Frank, thanks again for all of your help witht his project and giving me some great ideas. I will get it back up in the air very soon. Also Mike if you have your ears on.. great design.

Here are a few pretty lousy pics to prove that she is airworthy.

Regards,

Alex

Also, sorry I did not respond to the last few messages, I was out of town when they posted and just read them. Guess I have now answered your question Frank!