Jun 01, 2019, 08:46 AM
Makin' future-scrap
Thread OP
Discussion

Apollo XI Field Closure (Sepulveda Basin)

I received the following message from the Valley Flyers;

Effective May 24th 2019 the FAA suspended operations at the Apollo Field pending review of the local airspace and operating procedures. The club, Department of Park & Recreations, AMA and the FAA are working together to resolve this matter. Please do not fly UAS (drones, fixed wing model airplanes or Helicopters) until this matter is resolved. Failure to comply could jeopardize our ability to reopen the field.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 01, 2019, 09:30 AM
60 years down the tube... Our Government sucks!
Jun 01, 2019, 10:19 AM
Team Futaba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06kal
This seems to be different than the info in the post above. I wonder what is actually going on.
Jun 01, 2019, 12:43 PM
DS JUNKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
This seems to be different than the info in the post above. I wonder what is actually going on.
How so?
Jun 01, 2019, 12:53 PM
Fire Marshall Bill
How is it that SULA has authorization for FOD, but Apollo is not authorized? Did no one bother?
Jun 01, 2019, 01:06 PM
The "Foaminator"

Saturday 6-1-19

I was just at the basin this morning 6/1/19 at 10:00 am Only a couple of folks flying very small planes in the park flyer area, As I drove in I noticed ONE Sign that said ABSOLUTELY NO FLYING with a us code of 49 USC 44809 posted. This is not an official government sign as it was hastily created. The code it refers to has recently been updated as of May 31, 2019. One of the issues in that code that has actually been in place for years is that since we are with in the 5 mile range of VNY any individual that wishes to fly at the basin needs to contact airport operations and get clearance. I tell ya if I wanted to fly today I would have gone to VNY and asked for permission. Would I get it? who knows. Anyways it's only my humble opinion that nothing has changed until OFFICIAL Signage is posted.
Jun 01, 2019, 01:40 PM
DS JUNKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo Te
How is it that SULA has authorization for FOD, but Apollo is not authorized? Did no one bother?
I think the problem is the basin is a wide open public park not a privately held field controlled by a club under the protection and insurance of the AMA. Ultimately the FAA fixed site authorization will need some signatures of people agreeing to their agreement. For a club that is ez as the board can agree and sign to the terms and agree to enforce the terms. They can even require all members to sign the agreement like we all had to do at LA jets before they let u fly at the field. That way every opertator has now signed a legally binding contract with the FAA, or at least the club officers have who are responsible for the conduct of their members.

I would have 0 fear about losing the basin if it was under the control of a club so as to satisfy the FAA's desire for accountability. But how do you do that at a public field that is wide open to anyone?? The FAA can say no way we arent isuing a authorization if there is no accountability. We're talking the basin here.. a place where Ive seen morons shoot model rockets right off the control line pads directly into the the pattern of KVNY.

I think what might have to happen for an agreement to occur. The parks/rec and core of engineers will have to grant exclusive control and access of the field to the valley flyers so that they can be held responsible to enforce and uphold accountability to the FAA's authorization terms. This will be a nightmare of course to enforce on the club's part (given the range of "characters" who fly here) but it could be done.
Old Jun 01, 2019, 02:13 PM
purewater (Mikey68)
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Trolling (Obnoxious behavior).
Jun 01, 2019, 02:39 PM
Pretty clear what's going on. The FAA wants the field closed, and they're stringing the club along pretending there's some chance of an agreement. The club will be the bad guys chasing flyers out for the FAA. In the meantime, members will drift away and the parks commission will re-purpose the field to the Sherriff's Brother-In-Law appreciation association, and the application for waiver will be quietly dropped.
Jun 01, 2019, 02:57 PM
Quote:
I think the problem is the basin is a wide open public park not a privately held field controlled by a club under the protection and insurance of the AMA. Ultimately the FAA fixed site authorization will need some signatures of people agreeing to their agreement. For a club that is ez as the board can agree and sign to the terms and agree to enforce the terms. They can even require all members to sign the agreement like we all had to do at LA jets before they let u fly at the field. That way every operator has now signed a legally binding contract with the FAA, or at least the club officers have who are responsible for the conduct of their members.

I think what might have to happen for an agreement to occur. The parks/rec and core of engineers will have to grant exclusive control and access of the field to the valley flyers so that they can be held responsible to enforce and uphold accountability to the FAA's authorization terms. ...
I sure hope you are wrong about that-- speaking as someone who frequents a flying site that is associated w/ a club but is on city property and open to anyone. Signage says AMA membership is required but I'm not seeing that in the actual letter of agreement re the site; certainly local club membership is not required.

In Class D airspace.
Last edited by aeronaut999; Jun 01, 2019 at 03:57 PM.
Jun 01, 2019, 03:14 PM
DS JUNKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronaut999
I sure hope you are wrong about that-- speaking as someone who frequents a flying site that is associated w/ a club but is on city property and open to anyone. Signage says AMA membership is required but I'm not seeing that in the actual letter of agreement re the site; certainly local club membership is not required.
Is this field within controlled airspace? B,C,D etc? If not there iz no need for an FAA authorization.
Jun 01, 2019, 03:56 PM
Quote:
Is this field within controlled airspace? B,C,D etc? If not there iz no need for an FAA authorization.
Yes it is. D.
Jun 01, 2019, 04:09 PM
DS JUNKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronaut999
Yes it is. D.
Then your field is also in the crosshairs. It is not on the list of FAA authorized fields in controlled airspace? Has it been shut down? The basin is under extra scrutiny because it is nect to the busiest general aviation airport in the country.
Jun 01, 2019, 04:36 PM
Team Futaba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo Te
FOD is in a 400 foot grid and outside 2 miles from Torrance. The Basin is inside 2 miles from Van Nuys and in a zero altitude grind.

Quick Reply