Jun 21, 2019, 01:41 PM
The Mad Titan
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim06
Sounds like a problem a 1S-brushless setup might alleviate?

Tommy
It would indeed. I would think it's worth a shot to just get one out there and see what happens. There must be enough parts in the parts bin to re-issue an existing 1S platform with little development needed and see how it does. I know producing something isn't cheap, and to do it willy-nilly isn't really a responsible business decision, but considering how well the old 1S planes sold, I'd think it would be worth a try.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 21, 2019, 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC1138
It would indeed. I would think it's worth a shot to just get one out there and see what happens. There must be enough parts in the parts bin to re-issue an existing 1S platform with little development needed and see how it does. I know producing something isn't cheap, and to do it willy-nilly isn't really a responsible business decision, but considering how well the old 1S planes sold, I'd think it would be worth a try.
YES!
It would be so simple for them to try it, why not make a (super-boring) high-wing Cessna or Piper on 1S brushless motor, and see how that sells?

Tommy
Jun 21, 2019, 05:41 PM
KE Spins make me dizzy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim06
YES!
It would be so simple for them to try it, why not make a (super-boring) high-wing Cessna or Piper on 1S brushless motor, and see how that sells?

Tommy
And give it floats.
Jun 21, 2019, 07:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coptafeel
ya know, i wouldnít mind so much these umx birds with the 1s brushed motors if it didnít require invasive surgery to replace the stupid things (theyíre certainly cheap enough). If it were like changing out a motor on say - a umx pitts, it would be no biggy at all, but because they is what they is, iím done with the genre.
Carefully cutting open a fuselage, removing the silicone, (and usually requires pulling entire motor mount up from foam) re-applying new silicone, carefully taping fuse back together, only to potentially have to repeat same procedure all over again in as little as 20 or 30 flights just isnít really my idea of time well spent anymore.
+1!!!
Jun 21, 2019, 08:41 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
When you fly 1S in a really small space but you insist on doing aerobatics, loops and rolls, you invariably hit the wall or the floor. Motor mounts are the first thing that loosens up. Slice along the seam with a sharp Xacto to separate the fuselage top/bottom and you can reach right in to get the motor (or in my case, the motor mount). If you're only ever doing it when your motor wears out, it might seem like a PITA. When you end up doing once or twice a night, once each week during the winter, it becomes pretty second nature. Just keep a roll of scotch tape in the flightbox to stick it pack together again afterwards. Peel off the old before applying the new and you can hardly tell it's been cut in to...
Jul 03, 2019, 06:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruzr11803
If the "inheritance" is worth anything maybe there will be Tactic compatibility [with the new micro Fokker D.VII].
Actually, the D.VII electronics/motor are physically identical to the Ares setup, but apparently flashed with a different protocol ... which I was hopeful was Tactic so I could use my Anylink2. It is not!

Quote:
Would be helpful if the user manual wasn't a dead link on horizon's site...
You're not missing anything ... at all. The only options with the transmitter are servo reversing and "factory reset".

Gene K
Jul 03, 2019, 07:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01
Actually, the D.VII electronics/motor are physically identical to the Ares setup, but apparently flashed with a different protocol ... which I was hopeful was Tactic so I could use my Anylink2. It is not!

You're not missing anything ... at all. The only options with the transmitter are servo reversing and "factory reset".

Gene K
I received mine from the LHS and sadly found all of this out first hand. But on the positive side it is a nice flyer and for $80 I'm happy with it. Hopefully this plane sells enough that it encourages HH to make more that are BNF to Spektrum!
Aug 16, 2019, 05:22 PM
Hmmm, not looking good for 1s aficionados. The little T-28 is still one of my favorites. Even the yellow one is now "discontinued."

https://www.horizonhobby.com/t-28-tr...h-safe-hbz5600
Aug 16, 2019, 05:47 PM
Lifetime Member
I wonder if the 1S micros will now all be under the Flyzone brand now that Horizon has bought Tower Hobby
Aug 16, 2019, 06:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG
Hmmm, not looking good for 1s aficionados. The little T-28 is still one of my favorites. Even the yellow one is now "discontinued."

https://www.horizonhobby.com/t-28-tr...h-safe-hbz5600

I have one of these and the Micro Radian, really like them both and they are very reliable. I wonder if they will discontinue the components as well, I see a lot
indoor kits etc spec them. I also liked the small GWS 180 motors and gearboxes, they were very versatile, cheap and lasted quite a while. Must not be enough profits?
Aug 27, 2019, 03:50 PM
I modified my polecat with the receiver/gyro brick of a xk edge430, a 6a esc by emax and a 1105 bl motor with 4000 kv and 5030 gemfam prop with 300mAh and 150mAh lipos.
Gives about 4 to 5 minutes flight time.
Aug 29, 2019, 03:13 PM
UMX P-51 bl. "Gentle Annie"....now on the extinct list!
Aug 29, 2019, 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketsled666
When you fly 1S in a really small space but you insist on doing aerobatics, loops and rolls, you invariably hit the wall or the floor. Motor mounts are the first thing that loosens up. Slice along the seam with a sharp Xacto to separate the fuselage top/bottom and you can reach right in to get the motor (or in my case, the motor mount). If you're only ever doing it when your motor wears out, it might seem like a PITA. When you end up doing once or twice a night, once each week during the winter, it becomes pretty second nature. Just keep a roll of scotch tape in the flightbox to stick it pack together again afterwards. Peel off the old before applying the new and you can hardly tell it's been cut in to...
I don't often change out a brushed motor, primarily with my Spitfire or T-28. Maybe once, twice a year and it's not really that difficult. I first slit the original stickers at the seam with a razor blade. On the T-28, I can just slide out the motor and put in a new one, with a dab of silicone adhesive around the seam. I've never replaced the motor mount but I fly outside and can't remember when I last nosed one in hard. On the Spitfire, I just slit the foam to the back of the motor mount, so I can rotate it a little forward, to squeeze in a long can UMX Radian motor. There's just not much room between the back of the motor and the brick for the little Spitfire, but no big deal. Then I just rotate it back in place and glue the slit seams with a little BSI Foam Cure. Pop the fuse pieces back together and apply little pieces of packing tape over the slit sticker seams. After the original stickers have been slit the first time and the packing tape applied over them, I can just peal off the little packing tape pieces to separate the fuse. Easy peasy.
Sep 01, 2019, 10:12 PM
KE Spins make me dizzy.
And I've completed the UM polecat 1s brushless conversion. I wasn't happy with how the 1306 2700kV was working out, so I tried an 1106 4500kV motor. It was pretty much bang on with what I wanted. It's able to swing a 5" prop, cruise was at 55% throttle, and had enough power for good punchouts and vertical for a few moments.
Sep 03, 2019, 11:33 AM
The solution to the problem of flight quality for 1S models is the use of brushless motors with gears. I have been successfully implementing this option for about 10 years.
The use of brushless motors with gearboxes allows to obtain high efficiency of the motor-gearbox in combination with high thrust. In practice, it turns out that the weight of the model is preserved with an increase in traction of almost a half to two times!
My posts:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ght=vladimir88
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...r-micro-motors

Unfortunately, manufacturers did not go in this direction of development. In my opinion, this led to the degradation of the production of this area of micro-models.

At the moment I am developing new gear motors based on the latest motors for drones. These motors make it possible to obtain very good characteristics of gear motors even with relatively small diameter propellers.

An video- example where the use of a brushless motor- gearbox. The weight of the model "Sakura mini 3D" reduce from 50 grams (provided there is 2S power and a brushless motor) to 30 grams when using 1S power and a brushless motor- gearbox.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=841fzKmO-IQ
Last edited by Vladimir88; Sep 03, 2019 at 12:09 PM.

Quick Reply