Thread Tools
Jun 11, 2019, 08:07 PM
Lifetime Member
JohnM's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim06
At more than 3-4 times the weight, those larger than "Ultra micro" (mini?) planes are cool too, just not not micro, just smallish...


Tommy
My UMX Pitts S-1S with a motor upgrade and separate ESC has, in my opinion, spectacular performance and a 5 minute flight time on 2S 450 to 600 mah packs. It is in no way large and or heavy in weight.

Here are the specs:
T-Motor MT1306 3350kv motor
Aluminum motor mount from smallpartscnc
DYS XSD 12A BLHeli_S ESC
GWS 0543 prop

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ostcount=11526
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jun 11, 2019, 08:12 PM
KE Spins make me dizzy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM
My UMX Pitts S-1S with a motor upgrade and separate ESC has, in my opinion, spectacular performance and a 5 minute flight time on 2S 450 to 600 mah packs. It is in no way large and or heavy in weight.

Here are the specs:
T-Motor MT1306 3350kv motor
Aluminum motor mount from smallpartscnc
DYS XSD 12A BLHeli_S ESC
GWS 0543 prop

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ostcount=11526

Since you're running quad motors with a 5mm prop mount, check out the gemfan 6x3's, the 5x3's, or, if you want a bit of speed, the avan flow props.
Last edited by Sabin; Jun 11, 2019 at 08:17 PM.
Jun 11, 2019, 09:41 PM
Lifetime Member
JohnM's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabin
Since you're running quad motors with a 5mm prop mount, check out the gemfan 6x3's, the 5x3's, or, if you want a bit of speed, the avan flow props.
This version of that motor doesn't have the 5mm prop shaft. It has the exact same diameter as the stock BL180 prop adapter. The GWS 0543 prop fits without modification and is a perfect match for unlimited vertical performance for the entire 5 minute flight. I have no desire to change anything. I have never had an aircraft that I could say that about the power setup. I never expected the results to be as good as they were.
Jun 11, 2019, 09:50 PM
KE Spins make me dizzy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM
This version of that motor doesn't have the 5mm prop shaft. It has the exact same diameter as the stock BL180 prop adapter. The GWS 0543 prop fits without modification and is a perfect match for unlimited vertical performance for the entire 5 minute flight. I have no desire to change anything. I have never had an aircraft that I could say that about the power setup. I never expected the results to be as good as they were.
Good to hear the output shaft diameter is an exact match.

These new mini/micro quad motors are something else, aren't they? Certainly makes conversions much more viable, huh.
Jun 11, 2019, 09:52 PM
Lifetime Member
JohnM's Avatar
I do have some Emax 1306 motors, 3300kv and 4000kv. I have been trying out different combos on my Hitec Zipper. I have settled on the F20 T-motor on 3 cells for the best performance though. The F20II 1408 3750KV motor is a beast. It does great on 2 cells, but even better on 3.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...1&postcount=49
Jun 12, 2019, 06:15 AM
Lifetime Member
JohnM's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabin
Good to hear the output shaft diameter is an exact match.

These new mini/micro quad motors are something else, aren't they? Certainly makes conversions much more viable, huh.
I fully agree, the multicopter market has created a whole new breed of motors and efficient ESCs. It is a great time to be in the micro aircraft hobby. So many advances have taken place since I first got into this hobby of electric powered aircraft.
Jun 15, 2019, 04:12 PM
KE Spins make me dizzy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM
I look forward to your test results. What cells are you using? MAH size and brand?
Don't know how I missed this, but whatever...

I'm running the Venom 220mah drone batteries. I picked up a four pack just before they were discontinued.
Jun 17, 2019, 09:54 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
rocketsled666's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by microheli
It's cheaper, for the lower efficiency use a bigger battery and weight is not so important like the small 1S planes.
Maybe I misread your post, but Brushless is more expensive than brushed by a fair amount, if for no other reason that they use a lot more magnet, but also they require a more expensive ESC. Brushless is also more efficient than brushed by a fair amount, brushed motors have a lot of parasitic drag from the brushes, and commutation isn't nearly as efficient. Also, eliminating the gearbox improves efficiency.

A 1S brushless airplane would be easy to hack. There are many 1S ESCs. You can get to the PWM output of the throttle channel on the brushed RX bricks in the Horizon 1S airplanes, and you can drive a brushless ESC with that signal. If Horizon wanted to produce one it'd take minimal effort since all the parts already exist, it's not a design task as much as an integration task.

Horizon hasn't done it I suspect because they must not think there's enough of a market. Regardless of the few here in this thread who think there is. The reason there are a lot of 1S brushless quads is because flyers are looking to maximize performance and brushless is perceived to be better. But I've seen plenty of comparos of 1S brushed and brushless and the biggest difference tends to be just that the brushless motors last longer. At the 1S size, performance deltas are not all that significant, at least for micro quads.
Jun 17, 2019, 11:06 PM
KE Spins make me dizzy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketsled666
A 1S brushless airplane would be easy to hack. There are many 1S ESCs. You can get to the PWM output of the throttle channel on the brushed RX bricks in the Horizon 1S airplanes, and you can drive a brushless ESC with that signal. If Horizon wanted to produce one it'd take minimal effort since all the parts already exist, it's not a design task as much as an integration task.
You don't even have to do the brick hack anymore. Microheli sells a 1s capable receiver, seven (!) channels for the FrSky system that you can just run right off the lipo. Also, the RX4R is small and light enough to just stick in the UM size aircraft. Only caveat with that is it goes down to 3.5v, so you'd have to set a timer, lest you run the battery lower than the cutoff and lose control over your servos.
Jun 17, 2019, 11:11 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
rocketsled666's Avatar
I was thinking of sticking with Horizon avionics.

But I'm not surprised there's a FrSky RX that does it.
Jun 17, 2019, 11:46 PM
KE Spins make me dizzy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketsled666
I was thinking of sticking with Horizon avionics.

But I'm not surprised there's a FrSky RX that does it.
Oh man, when I got my Taranis QX7s, I shelved my spektrum stuff immediately. I could go on about all the nice things OpenTX can do, but there's two standouts above all others that I can't live without. Custom channel mapping, and the ability to adjust the centerpoint of the servo, down to the millisecond, without using subtrim. We have true centering from the servo itself with that little ability. It also accepts modules that output DSM2/X if you really want to hang onto your Spekky RX's.
Jun 18, 2019, 03:43 PM
Registered User
jimjim06's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM
My UMX Pitts S-1S with a motor upgrade and separate ESC has, in my opinion, spectacular performance and a 5 minute flight time on 2S 450 to 600 mah packs. It is in no way large and or heavy in weight.

Here are the specs:
T-Motor MT1306 3350kv motor
Aluminum motor mount from smallpartscnc
DYS XSD 12A BLHeli_S ESC
GWS 0543 prop

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ostcount=11526
So Whats your flying weight?
The UMX Spacewalker has a flying weight of 22 gram, its lightweight.
Its easy to fly in a small gym, loops w/o any problems and is a great little micro!
Its my favourite UMX, just like they are supposed to be, small and light.

Here is a tube!
UMX Spacewalker! (6 min 38 sec)



Tommy
Jun 19, 2019, 10:24 AM
Lifetime Member
JohnM's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim06
So Whats your flying weight?
The UMX Spacewalker has a flying weight of 22 gram, its lightweight.
Its easy to fly in a small gym, loops w/o any problems and is a great little micro!
Its my favourite UMX, just like they are supposed to be, small and light.

Here is a tube!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlWuFiVReQw


Tommy
I do not consider my UMX Pitts S-1S a good candidate for an indoor aircraft. Mine weighs 88 grams without battery. My packs weigh from 30 to 38 grams.
Jun 19, 2019, 05:59 PM
Registered User
jimjim06's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM
I do not consider my UMX Pitts S-1S a good candidate for an indoor aircraft. Mine weighs 88 grams without battery. My packs weigh from 30 to 38 grams.
And thats why I like the really Ultra micro planes, they are small, light and can be flown anywhere, like in a gym or in my garden or the kids playground or a park, no one gets scared and no one ever complained.

I am not saying that the 2S UMX are bad, they are just not really ultra micro, they are more like the 1/2A Baby-bee powered planes I used to build and fly, like 35 years ago... Just less messy.

The Kyosho 4-ch 25gram Cherokee brought me back into this hobby, the really cheap and fun-to-fly 2-Ch Silverlits and Airhogs made me buy a lot of new toys (We are talking about toys?).

So please Horizon, design a 1S UM brushless @ max 40grams, something like the original Champ, thatīs still selling well, I guess?
The only reason that many of us dont like the Micro 1Sīs, is the short lifespan of their brushed motors!


Tommy
Jun 19, 2019, 08:56 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
rocketsled666's Avatar
I could easily fly my UMX Beast 3D and UMX Waco in the space of a single basketball court (my indoor flying venue was a small heated gym, one basketball court sized space with 20' ceilings). The UMX Mustang was much too fast for anything but a hair raising experience. The Pitts was on the hairy edge of being too much work. But it was definitely not relaxing. Now my Pitts has a 1306 4100KV motor and it's definitely too quick.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Review Horizon Hobby E-flite Pitts S-1S 850mm BNF Basic Review Jim T. Graham Electric Plane Talk 30 Jun 13, 2019 09:10 PM
Article Horizon Hobby UMX Habu 180 DF BNF Basic kevin Micro EDF Jets and Power Systems 22 Mar 26, 2019 06:35 AM
Question Good Brands for Electric Planes??? (I'm done with Horizon...) DrewC Electric Plane Talk 198 Jul 14, 2016 06:34 PM
Build Log umx beast and um t-28 Frankenstein plane SkyHobby Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 0 Jan 05, 2016 12:13 PM