May 31, 2019, 01:12 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Klass Kote paint can pour spouts

Stupid question but how is everybody getting their Klass Kote out of the can? I always use masking tape to make a disposable funnel for dope and Hobbypoxy (when I still used it) but the Klass Kote cans are different. Is there anything out there you can buy? I made a nozzle from 1/8" brass tubing and soldered it to the lid for the thinner. There has got to be something easier out there. This is a no brainer if you're pouring enough for an entire plane but for trims and such, it's not easy done.

carl
to remove ads between posts
Jun 10, 2019, 12:34 PM
Thread OP
So I didn't get much in the way of a response to this thread but I got a bunch of looks. So here's my solution:

For thinner I drilled two holes in the lid and soldered two pieces of brass tubing to it. 1 piece goes nearly to the bottom of the can and the other is very short. The tubing size is pretty small, about 1/8" - 3/16". I have enough control to pour from a quart size container of thinner into a 1 oz medicine cup for measuring with no spills. When not using the thinner I can either put on a regular cap without the tubes or tie the tubes together with a piece of silicone fuel line to keep it from evaporating.

For colors and hardener I simply took a piece of 1" wide masking tape and wrapped it around the perimeter of the can. This gave me more room to pour and made control of the amount coming out very easy. Once the tape is wrapped around the can opening I form a low place and the paint runs out along that spot. When I'm done pouring I remove the tape and chunk it in the trash. So now I don't have a pint of paint dribbling out from the lip of the can.

Simple solution but I figure somebody out there does it differently.

carl
Jun 11, 2019, 03:43 PM
Back in the day when I was using HobbyPoxy, I used a set of aluminum measuring spoons. Always seemed to work ok and with care, minimized the amount of epoxy that got into the can rim.
I still have the measuring spoons, and have used them recently with Z-Poxy finishing resin. They still work!

Jim
Jun 13, 2019, 08:44 AM
Thread OP
Interesting and a good way to save on paint waste.

When I was using hobbypoxy, I would punch holes around the top perimeter of the can. When I was ready to pour any out, I would put a big piece of masking tape on the top to form a lip to pour through. It worked fairly well most of the time. The real trick is to use 2" wide masking tape.

carl
Jun 13, 2019, 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgrover
:.....

For thinner I drilled two holes in the lid and soldered two pieces of brass tubing to it. 1 piece goes nearly to the bottom of the can and the other is very short. The tubing size is pretty small, about 1/8" - 3/16". I have enough control to pour from a quart size container of thinner into a 1 oz medicine cup for measuring with no spills. When not using the thinner I can either put on a regular cap without the tubes or tie the tubes together with a piece of silicone fuel line to keep it from evaporating.

carl

Sometimes, with valuable/hard to replace thinners that come in gallon cans with a small opening (and no built in plastic spout) that are prone to splashing, I'll pour out the thinner into a big enough funnel to capture all the splash and draining into a dedicated large pyrex glass measuring cup..... I'll then pour back into gallon container any excess for the application at hand..... because of fluidity (?) of thinner and hard surface of the glass measuring cup, virtually none of thinner is left behind/wasted.

Pouring the correct amount of thicker paint pigment or hardener is more of a hassle..... for the small amounts typically used at any one time and for accuracy in measuring, I open use the kitchen utensil measuring spoons and acknowledge the wasted material that sticks to spoons.

I also punch at least four penny nail holes into the trough/groove of paint cans... for any excess paint caught in this groove to drain back into the can and not mess up the groove/lid connection.

Michael in Ontario, Canada
Jun 17, 2019, 11:23 PM
I use plastic spoons.

John

Quick Reply