Jun 02, 2019, 10:40 AM
I just spit my coffee out after reading the last couple of posts.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 02, 2019, 11:37 AM
The only problem with using starbucks straws is going to starbucks

Dave
Jun 05, 2019, 01:25 AM
For holes like that in balsa I prefer a brass tube sharpened on the inside diameter. To sharpen a brass tube on the inside, just twist the tube with a #11 X-Acto knife so it cuts the ID of the tube. That makes a much cleaner and much more precise hole in balsa then any type of drill bit. A sharp brass tube of whatever size you need makes quick work of making holes in balsa.... also at just about any angle you want. You can make some very clean pushrod exits by using that exact technique(again with whatever size tube you want), and just start it at the angle you need, twist it several times, and it will cut a very clean slot. Give that a shot on some scrap. If you've never done it you'll probably be shocked. It's that nice.

I keep a half dozen or so brass tubes around for just such purposes. If I need any tube for something else, I just cut a piece off, then resharpen the remaining length and continue it for cutting round holes, or longer round/slots. It's so much better then any bit can do.
Do be careful, as that brass tube will cut skin very easily, and when your pushing through don't let it slip.

If you have to make a small round hole and don't have clearance for whatever reason, just make the tube short, if you can't reach through, get a longer tube... there's many ways to go about it.
Jun 05, 2019, 07:38 AM
Here is how I did it after the build. Of course this is a thicker wing. OP has to adjust for the thinner wing. Sharpened tubing works.
Jun 05, 2019, 09:18 AM
...and you get those cool little balsa dots to glue on the bottom of things so they don't scratch a surface.
Jun 05, 2019, 02:12 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for all responses!!

I drilled all ribs stacked up - perfect fit for starbucks straw.

Quick Reply