Jun 09, 2019, 03:16 PM
Neophyte hacker
Raster puts little stress on the gantry motor. It just jogs one little step each traverse of the lens assy.

Cutting shapes is where the gantry motor 'earns big bucks'. It has to accelerate that whole load many times per minute, which means full load. Lens motor is moving much less weight.

It sounds like you may have to tweak the motor drive parameters or slow your cutting speeds.

charlie
to remove ads between posts
Jun 10, 2019, 04:53 PM
Thread OP
Gantry motion (Y) is not in question. Head motion is (X).
Even while engraving it stays cold, but try to vector cut/engrave something - X goes thermal. And Y doesnt care either way... Which is weird...
Both motors set to same 0.57A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by portablevcb
Raster puts little stress on the gantry motor. It just jogs one little step each traverse of the lens assy.

Cutting shapes is where the gantry motor 'earns big bucks'. It has to accelerate that whole load many times per minute, which means full load. Lens motor is moving much less weight.

It sounds like you may have to tweak the motor drive parameters or slow your cutting speeds.

charlie
Jun 14, 2019, 08:46 AM
Neophyte hacker
That is. The gantry motor is the one with the most load.

Are they stepper or servo motors? Steppers can be kinda weird, especially if the drive software isn't set up right. What about the driver board? I have seen a case where the motor drive electronics caused the motor to overheat.

charlie
Jun 14, 2019, 11:44 AM
Thread OP
I'm repeating myself but here it goes:

X motor overheats CUTTING complex design, but not rastering. Y is cold in both cases.
I have swapped drivers over to see if overheating moves from X to Y - it doesnt. Drivers are good.

They are open stepper motors. Software - LightBurn.
Jun 17, 2019, 10:55 AM
Neophyte hacker
yep it is weird, especially since you swapped drivers. It may still be how your driver software runs the motor but don't know how to fix it.

The acceleration load is much different between raster and engrave. But it is weird that y axis is ok.
Jun 18, 2019, 01:12 PM
Thread OP
I'm getting really tired of this...

Resonance wobbles in exact same places on 4 different cuts of plywood. Repeatable. No idea what it is at this point.

Jun 18, 2019, 01:38 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Is there a possibility there is a problem with the rails at that point? Maybe there is a burr or something on them that is causing a hang-up at that point.

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My old shop....
Jun 18, 2019, 02:32 PM
Thread OP
No, checked the rail, its clean.
At this point i'm just thinking super s**t cheap motion system design in general.
Just did "spiral test" i devised to see how resonance travels.
Took a spiral bowl design, cut down the spiral to smaller, 17turns 75x75mm.
Placed 5 side by side, ran at 100mms-15%, 150mms-15%, 200mms-15%, 250mms-15% and 300mms-20%
Resonance wobbles present in all, but 250mms and 300mms lost steps spectacularly. And i did 400mms fill engraving without issue.
Its only when i combine X and Y motion s**t goes sideways.

Jun 18, 2019, 03:00 PM
Are you running it from a computer or importing from a USB drive? If the former, perhaps the computer does not have enough memory? I had a problem with a file that had a lot going on and the old computer I was running it off of just didn't have enough memory. I upgraded my computer, and the problem went away. This was on a K40 laser cutter that didn't have a built in controller.

SteveT.
Jun 18, 2019, 03:04 PM
Thread OP
Nah, confuser is a gaming beast (oldish but still a beast). No way measly xy would take it down.
i7 with 16gb of ram, 980ti for graphics. And about 5tb of disk space, not that it matters...

But yeah, i ran it off the pc via usb. I can try sending the file to controller first but i would bet you real money its gonna do exactly the same.

Here's my spiral test. Try to run it at 250-300mms ?
Jun 18, 2019, 03:08 PM
Probably, but I was just 'shooting in the dark' to try to come up with an answer for you, as I have no other.

SteveT.
Jun 19, 2019, 12:53 PM
A.K.A sir Crashalot
i can get my 3d printer to stutter over usb even tho i got a I5, GTX1070, 16Gb ram and raided SSDs.
even over USB3. It has no problem if i put the file on a sdcard and print from that.
USB is not as robust in some cases. Also, i do not use a laptop for the same reason.
Might have to do with how much is connected and going on and such.
/ulf
Jun 19, 2019, 07:36 PM
The spiral is interesting. I tried it on my laser and at 350mm/S I can see what I think is a combination of belt jerk/bounce... and machine shake. It's really not alarming to me. What I never saw was skipped pulses. The defects I saw were all where an axis changes direction and acceleration. I might use this to better tune those parameters.

In my early testing, I figured 100mm/S was my max speed for vector cutting. Doing raster work seems OK at substantially faster speeds.

If I was going mostly rectangular cuts, faster was also OK.
Jun 20, 2019, 02:22 AM
Thread OP
Thats the thing, i started with fastest speed required for application - paper cutting. Lots of super small details, lots of direction changes, not a lot of long travel.

The spiral on the other hand puzzles me - slow start is super messy and long head swings wave but do not stutter.

I'll be running tests later today with "jumpoff" in mind. I was suggested "jumpoff" in ruida dictionary is "jerk" in 3dprinting.
Jun 29, 2019, 01:22 PM
Thread OP
Well, some "progress" rebuilding. Got fed up with sellers promises, started repairs/improvement myself.

Yesterday replaced X bearing carriage - No change, still wobbly.
Today set microstepping down to x16 (from x32) and recalibrated - No change.
Tomorrow will try to replace X stock driver to TB6600, see how it goes.

Need help with it though. I have only 3 signal wires from ruida to driver, PUL/DIR/VCC. Only 3 points to connect. Weird stock drivers.
The TB6600 has 6 connections on signal side -
ENA+, ENA- (not used in this case i figure)
DIR+, DIR-
PUL+, PUL-

How do i connect a standard driver to the controller ? Do i need to jump something (VCC to PUL+ and DIR+?)?
Also have DQ542MA driver, 6 connections. Wont use it now for fear of burning unidentified motor as it starts off at 0.7A RMS.

Also, still cant change motor, because MXL pulley on it is pressed on (no grub )and my other motor has a flat on the shaft.
Bought GT2 belt and pulley, will eventually transition from MXL to GT2, as GT2 is much more widely abailable, it appears.

Quick Reply