Jul 10, 2019, 09:25 PM
Balsa dust maker
Thats what I have on the YJ3m.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 13, 2019, 10:53 AM
I got the center section built yesterday. I can devote only a few hours a day to the build at the moment so it won't be super quick but it goes quickly anyway. I'm not planning on installing a spoiler servo but will use the spoiler piece and build it as if there will be a servo. Is it possible to install a servo 'from the top' through the spoiler opening in case I try it later ? I find that I rarely use the spoiler on the 2M YJ so decided to go for lightest weight on the 1.5 .
Jul 13, 2019, 04:13 PM
Sonoran Laser Art
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjo328
I got the center section built yesterday. I can devote only a few hours a day to the build at the moment so it won't be super quick but it goes quickly anyway. I'm not planning on installing a spoiler servo but will use the spoiler piece and build it as if there will be a servo. Is it possible to install a servo 'from the top' through the spoiler opening in case I try it later ? I find that I rarely use the spoiler on the 2M YJ so decided to go for lightest weight on the 1.5 .
I installed the first spoiler servo after the wing was built and flown.
Jul 18, 2019, 09:44 AM
The wing and tail are done, fuselage just needs final nose shaping/sanding. i'm using HS-53 servos, and the 6 chan. version of the antenna-less Spektrum rcvr.
The 6 chan. is smaller than the 4 chan., which is why I'm using it. But things are tight and the rcvr. must be removed to get the batt. in/out. No problem because there is no room for anything to shift without tape or velcro. I will shorten the servo leads by 50+ % to reduce clutter. The wing weighs 81 grams, before final sanding which can't account for the 12 gm heavier, 69 gm. that Corky has on the build tips. I didn't use epoxy anywhere....so ?

I enlarged the hole in F1 so that the batt. can go through it and right up against the back of the nose block. This will hopefully give more balance options. I'm using the same 480 mil. NIMH batt. as Corky.
Last edited by banjo328; Jul 18, 2019 at 09:54 AM.
Jul 18, 2019, 06:16 PM
Sonoran Laser Art
Thread OP
Quote:
The wing and tail are done, fuselage just needs final nose shaping/sanding. i'm using HS-53 servos, and the 6 chan. version of the antenna-less Spektrum rcvr.
The 6 chan. is smaller than the 4 chan., which is why I'm using it. But things are tight and the rcvr. must be removed to get the batt. in/out. No problem because there is no room for anything to shift without tape or velcro. I will shorten the servo leads by 50+ % to reduce clutter. The wing weighs 81 grams, before final sanding which can't account for the 12 gm heavier, 69 gm. that Corky has on the build tips. I didn't use epoxy anywhere....so ?

I enlarged the hole in F1 so that the batt. can go through it and right up against the back of the nose block. This will hopefully give more balance options. I'm using the same 480 mil. NIMH batt. as Corky.
Banjo, it sounds like your coming along fine. I haven't covered the one in the pictures yet so I did weigh it again and got the same 69g. I have two scales, one is a postal scale so I tried both and in oz got 2.4 oz on both. Other than sanding the tips I can't imagine what would account for 12g other than wood, glue, or the scale? I use all CA on these except for shaped end tips and laminating the center beam. On this one I used Titebond but very sparingly. My weight includes the spoiler but not a spoiler servo.
Jul 21, 2019, 04:14 PM
RTF weight with battery is 8.2 oz. so I'm satisfied with that. Prelim. bal. tests before covering indicated that it might be nose heavy so I used regular wt. Ultracote on the tail. Overall color scheme was dictated by what Ultracote I had on hand other than the orange fuse. which is an unknown brand on an old roll but I think it's Monocote and I like it for its visibility at slant ranges for orientation . Moving the batt. 1/4" aft of the back of the nose block resulted in balancing at 2.25" with no extra weight added anywhere !

Possibly maiden tomorrow if the weather isn't as bad as predicted. I have a wimpy hi-start made from red HK rubber that may not even reach the recommended 4 lbs., but it should be enough to get it up and I'll test my regular RES hi-start to see how many paces results in 4lbs.
Last edited by banjo328; Jul 21, 2019 at 04:24 PM.
Jul 21, 2019, 10:24 PM
Sonoran Laser Art
Thread OP
Nice job Banjo, I think you have the first completed plane besides mine. I was out yesterday and flew the 1.5 and my 2M. I now have the tow hook about center in the slot and get a nice angle on the launch. After I finished and rolled my two high starts up I went out and hand tossed it for about a half hour. I almost caught some air about 3 times. I may get a climb out eventually. It was pretty fun trying. I'm still playing with the CG. Looking forward to your maiden.
Jul 22, 2019, 02:27 PM
Couldn't maiden it today, but have the tow hook 1/8" ahead of the bal. point , same as on the 2M and I've never changed that setting.
Jul 23, 2019, 09:56 PM
Looks like a fun plane. I'm wondering if anyone has flown both this and the Chrysalis, and how they compare. I had a Chrysalis for a few years and really liked it. A smaller, lighter model for windless F3RES contests sounds like a good idea. If they had an F3RES contest near me, I'd want to attend. I once attended a contest that used 4 identical high starts, years ago. Was quite fun.
Jul 24, 2019, 02:04 PM
To answer your question Lincoln, I have built a Chrysalis, two Slites, 2 Meter YJ, and now the 1.5. Short story, both YJs are superior in build ease, overall performance. That's all I'll say here. If you want a more detailed critique, send me a PM..

As for the 1.5 M, I finally got in 6-7 hand tosses, and 6-7 hi-start flights today. The wind wasn't as dead calm as i would have liked for fine tuning and the wimpy hi-start I was using didn't show optimum launches (3.7 lb. tension at 40 paces) but it was adequate for initial testing.

The trim , balance , tow hook positions were not changed and only the tow hook might be changed with a more powerful hi-start, but I doubt it. The wind was just enough to allow penetration when flying straight and level but there was no margin for circling without constant stick.

The elev. trim was flown with neutral elev. and any deviation for a slight up elev. thermal setting resulted in stalls. Until I can fly it in dead air I can only say that it doesn't like deviation from neutral elev. for presets. This is different than the 2M where I have elev. settings for launch, cruise (neutral elev.) and thermal. The differences are only a few millimeters between launch and thermal but it makes a diff. in consistent launches and hands off thermaling.

So all in all I'm very happy with the 1.5 and will work on the presets some more after an upcoming bout of wind/rain, they say.
Jul 24, 2019, 05:27 PM

Successful Maiden

Mr. T's 1.5 meter Yellow Jacket (2 min 32 sec)
Jul 24, 2019, 07:38 PM
Sonoran Laser Art
Thread OP
Chris, thank you very much for the video. I sure enjoyed watching. It looks like Banjo was doing pretty well with it for the first flights. Like all new gliders getting the setup dialed and learning what it likes in different conditions is half the fun. I have had some nice long flights with mine hoping from thermal to thermal.
Jul 25, 2019, 02:40 AM
Sounds good! Maybe a bit hypothetical, though, since I already have two kits of the same size which are probably decent flyers. Hmm...

My favorit size would be 2.5 meters or so. I have a couple of kits that size, but I suspect a Yellow Jacket would outperform them.
Quote:
To answer your question Lincoln, I have built a Chrysalis, two Slites, 2 Meter YJ, and now the 1.5. Short story, both YJs are superior in build ease, overall performance. That's all I'll say here. If you want a more detailed critique, send me a PM..

As for the 1.5 M, I finally got in 6-7 hand tosses, and 6-7 hi-start flights today. The wind wasn't as dead calm as i would have liked for fine tuning and the wimpy hi-start I was using didn't show optimum launches (3.7 lb. tension at 40 paces) but it was adequate for initial testing.

The trim , balance , tow hook positions were not changed and only the tow hook might be changed with a more powerful hi-start, but I doubt it. The wind was just enough to allow penetration when flying straight and level but there was no margin for circling without constant stick.

The elev. trim was flown with neutral elev. and any deviation for a slight up elev. thermal setting resulted in stalls. Until I can fly it in dead air I can only say that it doesn't like deviation from neutral elev. for presets. This is different than the 2M where I have elev. settings for launch, cruise (neutral elev.) and thermal. The differences are only a few millimeters between launch and thermal but it makes a diff. in consistent launches and hands off thermaling.

So all in all I'm very happy with the 1.5 and will work on the presets some more after an upcoming bout of wind/rain, they say.
Jul 25, 2019, 02:27 PM
One thing I notice about Chris' video is that the color scheme shows up well. That flight was when I was still sorting the very sensitive pitch control which has been tamed by just using very small elev. travel on low rates. Today was as dead calm as could be hoped for even if the low altitude thermals were lacking.

While it has always thermalled well on the early flights I was having trouble with consistent launches. It would either veer off one side or the other right after release or it would go straight over my head and do a loop behind me. Exciting but no damage. So today I moved the CG 1/8" forward, just shifting the batt., and moved the tow hook forward about the same amount.

This allowed me to finally exploit the full performance of the wimpy hi-start which gives about 50% of the launch height of a regular RES hi-start but now launches are predictable, straight ahead, and it still flies the same after release given the dead calm and poor lift, but I did get several 4 min. flights anyway.

I will lengthen the tow hook about 1/4" I bent it too short when building. This will help in getting more vertical launches right out of the hand, more like the 2 M. No more testing until next week probably. F5J practice tomorrow, and/or rain...
Aug 01, 2019, 03:34 PM
Continuing testing and having problems with porpoising and stalling unless milking the elev. constantly and turning to kill the stall. Then today during a 12 minute flight (it does thermal well if you stay on the elev. all the time ) and having shifted the CG around without much observable difference, I noticed that the porpoising and stalling were much less when circling right than when circling left . Ah-ha ! A clue ! On the ground 3 of us squinted at the wing and agreed that the right wing had more washout than the left and even the right was very little. I used the specified 1/32" shim on both sides of course but something happened in the build, overlooked at the time. So I will warp in some more washout on the left side using the twist/heat/hold method.

Meanwhile the new rubber I got to use in a light hi-start specifically for the 1.5 M, proved to be too wimpy, 1/4" OD , 1/32" wall thickness, the same brand of rubber I use on my heavier hi-starts, but this one can get only 3.2 lbs. of tension at 50 -55 paces and there's no feeling that further pacing would change things. 4.5 -5.0 lbs. works well in our thinner air. 4 lbs. specified on plans.

Quick Reply