Oct 25, 2020, 09:17 PM
399' and holding
Sounds like I need to get the building tools out...
to remove ads between posts
Oct 26, 2020, 02:29 PM

Finally done

So I finished mine today, came in at 249 grams on my kitchen scale. That is with a 450 mah battery, I could drop 10 -12 grams if I went down to a 300 mah battery, but I am fine with it as it is. later in the week we will hopefully have a calm sunny day to do test glides and maiden flight. I will post some pics then. I am going to start with the cg a little forward of the recommendation at first, any suggestions on that?
Oct 26, 2020, 02:58 PM
Sonoran Laser Art
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by markj22
So I finished mine today, came in at 249 grams on my kitchen scale. That is with a 450 mah battery, I could drop 10 -12 grams if I went down to a 300 mah battery, but I am fine with it as it is. later in the week we will hopefully have a calm sunny day to do test glides and maiden flight. I will post some pics then. I am going to start with the cg a little forward of the recommendation at first, any suggestions on that?
Awesome, glad to hear it's completed. I am looking forward to seeing it. On the CG, honestly I would set it exactly on the number on the plan. It's where mine is after also starting forward some. Being a small plane the CG is in a smaller range than bigger planes. Once you get it right and trimmed good things happen. You really need some kind of balance tool as using your figures isn't accurate enough. I just use an old Great Planes stand right now.
Oct 26, 2020, 03:12 PM

Thanks Corky

Couple more questions I am definitely going to program in some expo as currently my radio is very sensitive around center. I assume I will need some mixing of spoiler and elevator? I pulled an old mini slow stick my son bought me years ago to warm up on, although the lemon receiver I ordered for it is not here yet. I am excited to get back into flying again, I think this plane will be great for an unused rc field near me. It does have trees around it but is plenty big for a glider. Took me a few weeks to get used to being retired but no complaints on that.
Oct 26, 2020, 04:01 PM
Sonoran Laser Art
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by markj22
Couple more questions I am definitely going to program in some expo as currently my radio is very sensitive around center. I assume I will need some mixing of spoiler and elevator? I pulled an old mini slow stick my son bought me years ago to warm up on, although the lemon receiver I ordered for it is not here yet. I am excited to get back into flying again, I think this plane will be great for an unused rc field near me. It does have trees around it but is plenty big for a glider. Took me a few weeks to get used to being retired but no complaints on that.
You will need a little up elevator when the spoiler is deployed. I use a switch for the spoiler such as gear and mix in the elevator so it happens at the same time. I would start with about 1/16" of up and fine tune from there.
Oct 26, 2020, 04:16 PM

sounds good

I have a sig balancer but it is way to big for this plane so I am going to try to balance it on two pencils mounted in a board.
Oct 27, 2020, 02:29 PM

Pics

Not great pics but here you go
Oct 28, 2020, 11:04 AM
Lurker
This is looking good guys.
Oct 31, 2020, 06:32 PM

1st outing for the YJ 1.5

The wife and I took the YJ to an old RC field need us today. Did some test glides, first one resulted in a quick climb and dork landing but no damage at all. After some experimentation I got the plane to glide straight and land itself gently, it is very sensitive to small changes in trim and cg. It is obvious it is going to fly great!! The wind was weird, calm for three or for minutes and then a 10 mph puff for 5 minutes. I am very rusty and declined to launch under power with the sudden changes in velocity, it will be windy for the next couple of days and then warmer and light winds, will try and get out early and try a maiden. I did do couple of harder tosses and got to do a little low level flying. The plane is sturdy and responsive and very light, this is going to be fun! we saw the lake, turkey, and deer and we had fun. The Rc field is long abandoned but it is a pretty park on the lake.
Nov 15, 2020, 10:37 AM
Hi All,
This is my first post here. I'm almost done with my YJ 3.5M elec, so I'll be posting here more often. Yes, I ordered a YJ 1.5M kit.

My first question of the build is to get some input on the electric power equipment list. I've read this entire thread twice, and I think I have a good list. Just want to see if anyone has suggestions. The only thing missing right now is the size of the prop blades, but I figure with further testing by others now flying, that a good consensus on this will form.

1) Emax Eco 1407 2800 KV motor eBay $21.37

2) Venom Fly 30C 2S 300 mAh 7.4 V LiPo eBay 2 @ $14.99 16g

3) ZTW Mantis Slim Brushless ESC 15A Amazon $21.99 7g

4) Turnigy D56LV 6g servos Amazon $8.04 ea

5) VM Spinner 25mm for 5 mm shafts Hyperflight $41.00

Regards,
Steve P.
Last edited by Steven Pituch; Nov 16, 2020 at 03:09 PM.
Nov 16, 2020, 02:30 PM

Motor and prop

I have only been out a couple of times to fly the 1.5 and it was too windy for the plane, but the motor Corky suggested, the eco-max and a VM spinner and 6x4 prop the plane climbs quite strongly. The plane has a wider speed range than the older planes I have flown. Have fun.
Nov 16, 2020, 03:08 PM
Hi All,
Just a note to you’all. I just received my 1.5 meter kit, and provision for the motor mounted in the fuse has been shown on the plans, so Corky has been busy.

Steve P.
Nov 16, 2020, 03:16 PM
Sonoran Laser Art
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Pituch
Hi All,
This is my first post here. I'm almost done with my YJ 3.5M elec, so I'll be posting here more often. Yes, I ordered a YJ 1.5M kit.

My first question of the build is to get some input on the electric power equipment list. I've read this entire thread twice, and I think I have a good list. Just want to see if anyone has suggestions. The only thing missing right now is the size of the prop blades, but I figure with further testing by others now flying, that a good consensus on this will form.

1) Emax Eco 1407 2800 KV motor eBay $21.37

2) Venom Fly 30C 2S 300 mAh 7.4 V LiPo eBay 2 @ $14.99 16g

3) ZTW Mantis Slim Brushless ESC 15A Amazon $21.99 7g

4) Turnigy D56LV 6g servos Amazon $8.04 ea

5) VM Spinner 25mm for 5 mm shafts Hyperflight $41.00

Regards,
Steve P.
I purchased the VM spinner and 6x3 prop from Kennedy. They are here on the Snipe II E accessories page. Barry sent them 1st Class and corrected the shipping charges. You have to be careful picking props to make the root end is the correct width.

http://www.kennedycomposites.com/snipe2e-repl.htm

The motor came from EMax USA- very reasonable

https://emax-usa.com/collections/pow...9781757b&_ss=r

I'm using a Turnigy plush 32 12A ESC with BEC and 2S 300 mah Nano batteries with JST connector. Both from Hobby King
Nov 16, 2020, 03:44 PM
I have been using these in a couple small projects lately. Running a 2S lipo sized to suit the CG I need. Typically a 450. Prices in Aus $ so US$ is prob 35% cheaper. Shipping less than 2 weeks right now. From Banggood. In China.

The VM 25mm spinner is a winner!
Nov 17, 2020, 06:37 PM
Got the 5 individual wing panels done today.

The wing is 3 piece, right? It’s not 5 piece. I just want to be sure.

Steve P.

Quick Reply