Jun 25, 2019, 03:25 PM
Sonoran Laser Art
Thread OP
The first batch of kits were completed yesterday for those that requested one here. Finishing up the build plan and steps took a little longer than expected. I'm about ready to build another one and I will post some pics and explain a little about the build. 36 yr anniversary is tomorrow and the wife has plans so it may be a few days before I get started.

It goes together so quickly it's very surprising which makes the build very enjoyable. I had to do a little searching for a servo small enough for the spoiler and it should be here in a few days which I will also share.

I am looking forward to seeing some additional builds and impressions, I beleive you will be very pleased. I need to get it on my website too shortly.

I am going price the kit at $125. With the carbon fiber, material for 3 piece wing and removable stab, music wire/bondable PTFE tubing, and the 1/64 ply pod reinforcement it's a very nice little model. Every wood piece is laser cut that I can think of and the parts are bundled and bagged for protection. There are zero trees/carriers to cut parts out of. It also comes with and vinyl sticker "Yellow Jacket 1.5m" like all my complete kits now.

It's perfect for F3RES type contest especially on smaller fields. Due to the lite weight a bungee with about 4 lbs pull is just right. Remember it's under 250g AUW which is a plus for a lot of reasons. We're talking about a bungee launch plane with an AUW like the most competitive DLG's. Hand tossing is fun too, it's not designed to discuss launch. Got a bad back, knee, shoulder-there you go-anyway just an update, things are progressing just fine.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 25, 2019, 03:46 PM
Corky,

Just emailed you to place an order for a 1.5M along with spoiler servo for same (assuming that a D47 will not fit). At any rate, your cox.net server rejected both emails saying it didn't like my email address. (Everything worked fine when I ordered my YJ 2M.

How can we work this out?

Joe
Jun 25, 2019, 04:21 PM
Sonoran Laser Art
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcglider
Corky,

Just emailed you to place an order for a 1.5M along with spoiler servo for same (assuming that a D47 will not fit). At any rate, your cox.net server rejected both emails saying it didn't like my email address. (Everything worked fine when I ordered my YJ 2M.

How can we work this out?

Joe
I have not received a email?

Here's the address [email protected]

Also If you submit through the website contact function that works too. I can have a kit ready next week and could send a Paypal invoice when ready to ship. I have a few of the spoiler servo's coming so that's no problem if it fits OK. They are just Turnigy 4g servo's that don't cost much and look decent.
Jun 26, 2019, 08:52 PM
I just wanted to thank Corky for all his hard work.
When I came home from work this afternoon there was a box from Sonoran Laser Arts on the front porch.
I broke open the box and took a look at the plans and the many many excellent cut parts.
Tomorrow I will repackage the kit and get some photos. Friday I will start a build thread and see if I can spend Saturday and Sunday knocking this little gem out.
It is a real beauty and so excellently kitted. This is my 5th SLA kit build and from past experience I am looking forward to the fit of these beautifully presented parts.
Thank you Mr Miller
Your Bud in So Cal
LJ
Jun 26, 2019, 10:26 PM
Balsa Dust Vs Foam Dust
Corky - Definitely want on the waiting list for this one.
Jul 05, 2019, 08:53 PM
Sonoran Laser Art
Thread OP

Spoiler Installed

Iím not sure how many 1.5ís are out there with spoilers but this is lookin good. I did have to shave a little of the spoiler for servo clearance but very minimal. Canít wait to get the spoiler dialed in. A few more kits were shipped this week. One buddy is looking at Mylar and Tissue. The weight savings may be a little bit but the look might be really cool.
Jul 06, 2019, 01:42 PM
Sonoran Laser Art
Thread OP

1.5M Building Tips

I have started another 1.5M build and am posting photos and comments on my website under Building Tips.

For those with initial kits please refer to this first with if have questions. If your question in not answered send me an email through the contact function and I will respond and update this page if needed.

I just got through the center section this morning and will be adding to this as I go.

https://sonoranlaserart.com/building...building-tips/
Jul 09, 2019, 01:47 PM
I will take a look. Thanks for the info. I think I will be the first to build a 1.5 M YJ in Albuquerque.
Jul 09, 2019, 04:24 PM
Sonoran Laser Art
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjo328
I will take a look. Thanks for the info. I think I will be the first to build a 1.5 M YJ in Albuquerque.
Yes, you will have the first in Alb. I think there are 9 out there right now and in some very capable hands. I started building another on Saturday, a few hours a day and it's almost ready to cover. Looking forward to seeing others photos and feedback.

I'm enjoying this little plane a lot, here's a couple photos for inspiration from the build log.
Last edited by CloudSniffer; Jul 09, 2019 at 04:35 PM.
Jul 10, 2019, 04:50 PM
Sonoran Laser Art
Thread OP

Ready to Cover

I started on this Saturday morning. All that was left this morning was to install the push rods/tubing and final sanding. Everything is together that comes in the kit. All that is left is to cover and complete the final assembly.

Weights
Wing assembly 69 grams
Fuse and Tail 60 grams

129 grams = 4.55 oz

At 8 oz the wing loading calculates at 3.88 oz sq ft. My first one weighs less than that with the spoiler and servo. Being able to move the battery into the front bay and cleaning up some excess heavy wiring I used are the two areas I am working on for this one.

Just a little over half the max 250g leaving 4.25 oz to stay under 8.8 oz.
Jul 10, 2019, 08:42 PM
Balsa Dust Vs Foam Dust
Well that's just impressive.
Are you still using the ultracote lite covering or something else?
Jul 10, 2019, 08:58 PM
Sonoran Laser Art
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by plane_tech
Well that's just impressive.
Are you still using the ultracote lite covering or something else?
Still Ultracote Lite. A few colors are out of stock but I have several rolls on hand. I heard from overseas that the machine is down for Lite so we will see how it goes. I’m half tempted to try some HK for color in strategic spots that won’t add a lot of weight.

Red and blue is an issue, white, purple, and yellow seem to be available.
Jul 10, 2019, 09:05 PM
Balsa Dust Vs Foam Dust
I have a couple rolls in my stockpile. White and transparent orange for sure. Maybe transparent blue
Jul 10, 2019, 09:20 PM
Sonoran Laser Art
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by plane_tech
I have a couple rolls in my stockpile. White and transparent orange for sure. Maybe transparent blue
White and Orange would be sweet.

About to have twins. I shaped the nose a little different on this one. More slanted down and rounded. I like it, something to think about.
Last edited by CloudSniffer; Jul 10, 2019 at 09:29 PM.

Quick Reply