Sep 23, 2019, 08:17 AM
Nick Radle
No tail wag. Yes trim and yes mixing.
Something to look at first is your horizontal stab in relation to the wing. It's probably crooked. Both of mine were.
That said, if they can mold the stab platform crooked it would not surprise me if the wings aren't straight, but mine only took about 2.5mm of trim.
On the rudder wag, check your linkage and servo security. My z bends were loosely bent and allowed control surface play. On another fms model, the servo was loose in the pocket and the control surface horn was also loose.
That's really all I can think of, because mine does not do it. Neither of my futuras do.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 23, 2019, 01:25 PM
My tail wagged but not sure whether it was gyro induced or not enough gyro yet lol, next time I fly her I will see if she wags without gyro.
Oct 08, 2019, 11:19 PM
The 6 P principle works for me
This past Sunday, got in flights 23, 24 and 25. I am still running the stock motor / fan / esc and after reassembling with Loctite, all is well! I may try the V2 Pro at some point however, very happy with the stock set up.

Yes, the rear end needs to be shimmed to get the horizontal and vertical surfaces properly aligned, just like the version 1 needed! As others have noted, there is some mixing required to resolve coupling issues however IMHO, the mixing required is not much. Once dialed in and at speed, this jet flies like it is on rails.

Remember to grease the wheels every now and then (to keep the holes from getting larger).

For me, lighter flys better!

Very happy with my Futura V2!

Michael (if your not fryin, your not tryin!)
Oct 09, 2019, 04:28 PM
So what needs to be shimmed, and why?

QUOTE=elecfryer;42908717]This past Sunday, got in flights 23, 24 and 25. I am still running the stock motor / fan / esc and after reassembling with Loctite, all is well! I may try the V2 Pro at some point however, very happy with the stock set up.

Yes, the rear end needs to be shimmed to get the horizontal and vertical surfaces properly aligned, just like the version 1 needed! As others have noted, there is some mixing required to resolve coupling issues however IMHO, the mixing required is not much. Once dialed in and at speed, this jet flies like it is on rails.

Remember to grease the wheels every now and then (to keep the holes from getting larger).

For me, lighter flys better!

Very happy with my Futura V2!

Michael (if your not fryin, your not tryin!)[/QUOTE]
Oct 09, 2019, 04:52 PM
The 6 P principle works for me
Assemble a version 1 or version 2 as per instructions and when looking from the rear the right side of the stab / elevator is closer to the top of the right wing than the left side, i.e the stab is tilted to the right. I just placed multiple pieces of card stock (thick paper .010 - .015 inches thick) under the right side of the stab (where it meets the fuselage) until (when re assembled) the gap between the right side of the stab and wing looked equal to the gap between the left stab and wing. Not an exact science however, it works pretty well.

If you have a digital angle meter, block up the jet until the wings are at equal / opposite angles then using card stock, adjust the stabs in a similar fashion.

The vertical fin can also be adjusted in the same manner, if required.

The reason why we (I) do this, is to do the best I can to get a "straight" flying airplane. If one flies the plane as assembled (no adjustments) then when one tries to pull up from level flight, the plane will yaw to the right (the direction of the tilt). ,

Looking from the rear, imagine the horizontal stab rotated 90 degrees clockwise, up elevator would now be right rudder so, tilted a little bit to the right would result in a little yaw to the right! (I think I now have this right! HA HA!)

Michael
Last edited by elecfryer; Oct 09, 2019 at 07:20 PM. Reason: had bank roll to left which is wrong! Corrected!
Oct 09, 2019, 11:19 PM
Thanks for the info! Iíll have to look at my V2 closer and see if itís off. It looked good at assembly but then again I wasnít looking that close. Just wanted to fire her up and check the fan, which FMS replaced for me as I found it was rubbing on the shroud in about 4 places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elecfryer
Assemble a version 1 or version 2 as per instructions and when looking from the rear the right side of the stab / elevator is closer to the top of the right wing than the left side, i.e the stab is tilted to the right. I just placed multiple pieces of card stock (thick paper .010 - .015 inches thick) under the right side of the stab (where it meets the fuselage) until (when re assembled) the gap between the right side of the stab and wing looked equal to the gap between the left stab and wing. Not an exact science however, it works pretty well.

If you have a digital angle meter, block up the jet until the wings are at equal / opposite angles then using card stock, adjust the stabs in a similar fashion.

The vertical fin can also be adjusted in the same manner, if required.

The reason why we (I) do this, is to do the best I can to get a "straight" flying airplane. If one flies the plane as assembled (no adjustments) then when one tries to pull up from level flight, the plane will yaw to the right (the direction of the tilt). ,

Looking from the rear, imagine the horizontal stab rotated 90 degrees clockwise, up elevator would now be right rudder so, tilted a little bit to the right would result in a little yaw to the right! (I think I now have this right! HA HA!)

Michael
Oct 12, 2019, 12:47 PM
I got a v1 for 160 nib. Should I have gotten this one? What's the main difference?
Oct 28, 2019, 11:04 PM
The best in EDF since 2005
Hey guys, I have been putting together an upgrade pack for the FMS 80mm fan, we did the Havoc first with great results, now the Futura V2 is getting a makeover!

Here is a photo of the FMS Futura 80mm fan, same as the Eflite Havoc but it has the 3280 Predator motor in it, and the rotor appears to have been balanced with a ball of masking tape! yeah well at least it was balanced LOL. The spinner seems to be slightly stiffer than the Eflite havoc one I worked on, but still average in strength.

I have upgraded my Futura V2 with the new EVO rotor set and hopefully we will get video of two Futuras together this weekend, one stock one with the EVO rotor.

EXTREME EVO 80MM FAN UPGRADE SET
Latest blog entry: Extreme RC AUSTRALIA
Oct 28, 2019, 11:31 PM
Is the photo of the FMS fan the original or the pro version? And how soon till the video comparison?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC
Hey guys, I have been putting together an upgrade pack for the FMS 80mm fan, we did the Havoc first with great results, now the Futura V2 is getting a makeover!

Here is a photo of the FMS Futura 80mm fan, same as the Eflite Havoc but it has the 3280 Predator motor in it, and the rotor appears to have been balanced with a ball of masking tape! yeah well at least it was balanced LOL. The spinner seems to be slightly stiffer than the Eflite havoc one I worked on, but still average in strength.

I have upgraded my Futura V2 with the new EVO rotor set and hopefully we will get video of two Futuras together this weekend, one stock one with the EVO rotor.

EXTREME EVO 80MM FAN UPGRADE SET
Oct 29, 2019, 04:57 AM
It was a quick photo today while I was rebuilding my Futura fan. The left rotor is the original FMS one, right rotor is the EVO with alloy spinner. The motor has the EVO shaft adapter already on it ready to go.

Weather is the big factor for us right now, last 2 weekends have sucked, hoping this weekend we get a break and can get the two up together!

The fan has been proven though, over in the Havoc thread K2roo has the EVO upgrade in his havoc, he had video too, around page 265 +/-10 from memory. The EVO fan sounds really good, and its faster in the air for the same amp draw.
Oct 30, 2019, 12:56 AM
While rebuilding the second Futura V2 fan today I thought I would stick it on the thrust stand before and after to compare it with the Havoc fan.

FMS 80mm fan with 3280 motor & stock rotor: 101.2A / 2254W 3.17kg thrust.
FMS 80mm fan with 3280 motor & EVO rotor: 97.4A 2230W 3.10kg thrust.

The Wemo is holding its own with the more powerful motor so it will be very interesting to see the Futuras in the air.
In the Havoc fan the EVO was at 2.85kg vs 3.1kg for the stock rotor yet its superior design had it faster in the air than the stock rotor.
Oct 30, 2019, 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by navyguy757
I got a v1 for 160 nib. Should I have gotten this one? What's the main difference?
The servos are better, the wing connectors are better, and the power system is better.

In reality, the v1 is very good. I've been flying mine since it was released, had it preordered. No issues.

Quick Reply