Feb 07, 2005, 12:50 PM
Thread OP

DS-30 Lightning F Mk1a on the way

Oh dear ... another Lightning

Mine is 26" span and 37" long for a Fun 480-42 and Schuebeler DS-30 carbon fan unit.

Cells will be RC1600 nicads for first flights, then Schuebeler 3s4p 6.2Ah lipos once I know it isn't gonna crash. The lipos weigh only the same as the nicads.

Initial power on the Lipo pack is about 52A, 530W. Model weight will be around 3lb, (probably a little more )

Gordon
to remove ads between posts
Feb 07, 2005, 12:57 PM
Lithium Member
Very nice subject Gordon, I love it !

Is this from your own plans? If so will they be available, I am looking for a home for my DS-30 fan - something that does not look like an s400 pylon racer with colorful stripes and a swept wing
Feb 07, 2005, 01:33 PM
Thread OP
Hi Herb

Yes, it is my own design and the intention is to make the plans available.

I'm hoping that it'll at least GO like a pylon racer

I shot build pics from the start, so I'll continue this as a build thread when I've had a chance to re-size the pics.

Gordon
Last edited by Gordon; Feb 07, 2005 at 01:36 PM.
Feb 07, 2005, 02:20 PM
Pro Hoarder
Hi Gordon, Its looking great so far. If this turns into a kit I am in for one.
Scott
Latest blog entry: In flight
Feb 07, 2005, 02:53 PM
Thread OP
Hi Scott

A manufacturer has shown interest in kitting it CNC-cut, so we'll see what happens eventually

Gordon
Feb 07, 2005, 02:57 PM
Thread OP
OK, here's the story from the beginning

3/32" balsa fuselage sides and 1/16" liteply bulkheads, with 1/8" birch ply wing mount bulkhead. The hatches are for the Rx and fan unit.
Feb 07, 2005, 03:02 PM
Thread OP
The elevator servo mounts beneath the fan location
Feb 07, 2005, 03:05 PM
Thread OP
Here's a view of the fan mount. With the DS-30, the mounts are screwed to the fan before they're glued in place to avoid distorting the fan housing when it's tightened in place, which would rsult in the rotor rubbing on the housing.
Feb 07, 2005, 03:05 PM
Thread OP
Another view of the fan and servo mounts
Feb 07, 2005, 03:09 PM
Thread OP
Here's the nose ring, a strip of 1/64th ply wound into 2 layers and CA'd. Note the keys to assist in centring the nose ring accurately. The key pieces are actually the offcuts from the slots they'll key into
Feb 07, 2005, 03:10 PM
Thread OP
Here's the nose ring glued in place
Feb 07, 2005, 03:12 PM
Thread OP
The tailpipe nozzle will be a simple squashed oval

Note the carbon tow CA'd in the corner to stiffen the (weak) liteply former. The rear fuselage sides were softened by painting copiously with household ammonia, and spring clips used to hold the side to the former whilst the CA was applied. The carbon was added immediately after gluing the sides to the former.
Last edited by Gordon; Feb 07, 2005 at 03:15 PM.
Feb 07, 2005, 03:27 PM
Thread OP
Here are the ducts.

I laid up the front 4 sections using 6oz glass and Z-poxy finishing resin. The last section is Mick Reeves thin Pro-skin epoxy-glass sheet, for no better reason than I'd got fed upof laying up cloth.

I simply waxed a piece of plastic-faced shelf board - the stuff that flat-pack furniture is made from (used to be called Conti-board) then painted on PVA release agent, then applied the epoxy to the glass sheet very thinly using a credit card as a spreader. The front 3 sections have 2 layers of glass for anti-collaps strength. The 4th section (the one with the slit) goes aft of the fan and is only one layer to keep it flexible.

This ducting weighs about the same as 1/64th ply, but produces a smooth duct surface with no further work. Also, I can run the velcro battery straps over the top of the duct with no risk of collapse - not the case with card for instance.

The nose duct (first section) converges to FSA, then the second duct parallel, and the 3rd section expands to fan diameter. The 4th and 5th sections are basically parallel-sided.

One reason for making the second section smaller diamater was to ease fitting the batteries in the small fuselage depth available.
Feb 07, 2005, 03:28 PM
Thread OP
Here's the ducting in place
Feb 07, 2005, 03:30 PM
Thread OP
Now for the planking. I used the method decribed here for the first time, and it worked well.

http://www.modelairplanenews.com/how...rip_plank1.asp

Quick Reply