Jun 06, 2019, 09:27 AM
Just ordered and bit the bullet on shipping($60) so I could get it tomorrow. I think I'll put an xt30 with a capacitor on since I already have some 2s lipos for my beta75x. Hopefully the cap protects the board.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 06, 2019, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanuser
some are theorizing the piddly connector is intentional, as a way to limit current burst, so as to not fry the board.
I've heard all kinds of theories about that PH connector actually. And they all have some tinge of truth to them.

So now that the videos are out... all of them... pretty much at the same time... clearly, once again, this is an A+ concerted marketing push by Emax.

You're trading the washout for flight time with the TH.

You don't get the washouts, but the penalty is flight time. All the reviewers murdered their packs just trying to get to 3 minutes on 2s. They were falling out of the sky at 2:30-2:40 I believe.

Would I recommend one for a beginner? Maybe.

"If you can deal with the poor RF performance and idiotic battery connector, this is a reasonable package."

Would I buy one? No. I'm neither beginner nor rampant consumer. Like, if you already have a decent brushless whoop, this doesn't seem to serve much purpose other than to blow another hole in your wallet. But then again, that's exactly what some of you need.

For comparison, the Tinyhawk S absolutely murders something like a Blade (R) Inductrix (R) Brushless. It's kind of embarrassing. I mean, it was kind of embarrassing before with the 1s, and now it's really, really embarrassing.

It might hold its own against some of the more "regular" whoops depending on situation, although the bar has been slowly raised during this time.

The only other thing is the timing. Emax is a little late to the game. Again.
Jun 06, 2019, 12:53 PM
We are not men, we are DEVO 7e
when you say poor RF performance, do you mean control range, video range or both?
Jun 06, 2019, 01:06 PM
The short flight times are a bit off putting for me, itsmbad for the battery...
I puffed a gnb recently flying my 65mm 2s brushless which only gets around 2:30 to 3 minutes and gets the batts pretty warm.

My 85mm whoop build withm1103 8000kv does much better with 5 to 6 minute flights and nice cool batteries at the end of flight.

I'm gonna get the uruav 85 to see how that performs, reports are quite decent so far and I'd like to find something I can recommend to people which is strong safe and reasonably fast with good flight times and a nice camera for reasonable money an do think that might fit the bill.

I really like this emax frame design though , maybe it might work well on 1102 motors and obviously props to fit.
Jun 06, 2019, 01:23 PM
Quote:
when you say poor RF performance, do you mean control range, video range or both?
Both.

To be honest, the video feeds don't look that bad, but that may be due to the proliferation of vastly improved RXs, not improved VTX design.

And they pretty much all hid their control RSSI. AndyRC at least mentioned it; he said it dipped to the 30s at 100m or something.
Jun 06, 2019, 04:41 PM
cbp
cbp
Seeing all the headbutting between FrSky and Jumper, can anyone confirm if my Jumper T16 will bind to this bird? I would like to order it for in-house play.
Jun 06, 2019, 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatZilla
Both.

To be honest, the video feeds don't look that bad, but that may be due to the proliferation of vastly improved RXs, not improved VTX design.

And they pretty much all hid their control RSSI. AndyRC at least mentioned it; he said it dipped to the 30s at 100m or something.
I have eachine800 and sjv01 box goggles, had to switch vtxs on the original. I will post the results in a day or two
Jun 06, 2019, 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbp
Seeing all the headbutting between FrSky and Jumper, can anyone confirm if my Jumper T16 will bind to this bird? I would like to order it for in-house play.
Why wouldn't it? FrSky has nothing to do with EMAX. They are using FrSky's protocol (not the dreaded ACCESS protocol) but, the built-in receiver is not an official FrSky product (AFAIK).
Last edited by Temporal Flux; Jun 06, 2019 at 05:33 PM.
Jun 06, 2019, 07:18 PM
Just to confirm, a capacitor on the xt30 should prevent any problems burning out the board? This is what I've read but then why in the world would emax not just do this. The included battery looks weak and I have some good hv 2s batteries I use on my beta75x
Jun 06, 2019, 08:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymatic
I have eachine800 and sjv01 box goggles, had to switch vtxs on the original. I will post the results in a day or two
That's what I'm interested in.

All these reviewers are pitching this at beginners, but what beginner is going to be rocking a Rapidfire, Clearview, TrueD-whatever or OwlRX?

I saw the video feed from the Emax box goggles in the original TH kit, and it was flipping awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymatic
Just to confirm, a capacitor on the xt30 should prevent any problems burning out the board? This is what I've read but then why in the world would emax not just do this. The included battery looks weak and I have some good hv 2s batteries I use on my beta75x
Cannot confirm.

That happened to be one of the other theories surrounding the PH connector -- that Emax knowingly put it on there because it would suck so much as to protect the board from burning out.

Like, even I am not so crass as to pitch a theory like that.
Jun 06, 2019, 08:32 PM
monkeymagic
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatZilla
That's what I'm interested in.

All these reviewers are pitching this at beginners, but what beginner is going to be rocking a Rapidfire, Clearview, TrueD-whatever or OwlRX?

I saw the video feed from the Emax box goggles in the original TH kit, and it was flipping awful.

Like, even I am not so crass as to pitch a theory like that.
Deadright - these expensive modules that go in expensive goggles can paint a bit of an unrealistic picture.

As for the quad I like that it has guards rather than ducts.

You could forgive emax by being late if they added more useful features but this is literally just a regular tinyhawk that can take a 2s battery. Should have been out 6 months ago. All that aside I think it looks reasonable for $99 as an indoor quad but it will get smoked outdoors.
Jun 06, 2019, 08:48 PM
So I guess the question would be if it's a voltage spike or current causing issues. Wonder if an LC circuit would be the best bet
Jun 07, 2019, 12:41 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
The reviews do look a bit directed, with Emax playing a big part in when these would go live, and maybe even some rules might have been added to highlight some things and underexpose other aspects. Though some reviewers who got to test this early one, usually say what it's like, and won't agree on censorship. And I doubt they would trade that reputation for being one of the first to review this.

Anyway, we will know more when the second wave of reviews appear, from bought units, or at least from later production runs, where these first reviews are likely done with early samples, coming from Emax themselves, and might even have been cherry picked for best results.

So far what's been confirmed is that it is a bit lighter than the first TinyHawk, and has higher kv motors, so it could be more punchy on 1S even. If flight times do end up less than 3 minutes, we are back to the first brushless whoops, which usually got between 2 and 3 minutes and were more like proof of concept that a brushless indoor flyer was possible, but current tech should at least allow 4 minutes, I think. At least that is what feels very comfortable when flying my Mobula 7.
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Jun 07, 2019, 12:50 AM
We are not men, we are DEVO 7e
there's no way nick burns would agree to review anything if there were "rules added to highlight some things and underexpose other aspects."
Jun 07, 2019, 01:29 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Quote:
there's no way nick burns would agree to review anything if there were "rules added to highlight some things and underexpose other aspects."
Yep, that is one the people who I referred to, highly doubt being willing to risk their reputation for a first review. I've never seen him sugarcoat things.
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!

Quick Reply