Nov 11, 2019, 02:55 PM
Could you make an adapter using PH2.0 plugs to run dual 1s batteries similar to how the Mobula7 or Trashcan connect up? The 2S batteries for the TH S are kinda a 1 off type and I have a bunch of 1S's.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 12, 2019, 03:28 PM
Enjoying every minute of it...
Are these still worth getting? Only skimmed through the 300 or so posts...

Only looking for 1S for inside mostly, have faster stuff for outside. Are there any fc upgrades that'll fit besides the stock fc? Worth replacing vtx and especially cam?

Wonder if just getting a spare frame then using existing parts from the bin might be an option...
Nov 12, 2019, 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnd flyr
Are these still worth getting? Only skimmed through the 300 or so posts...

Only looking for 1S for inside mostly, have faster stuff for outside. Are there any fc upgrades that'll fit besides the stock fc? Worth replacing vtx and especially cam?

Wonder if just getting a spare frame then using existing parts from the bin might be an option...
It works fine out of the box for indoor flying in-house or in the office. If your walls are too thick (european style) you might have some trouble with penetration, the vtx is very week, but typical american homes work great

The camera is fine, the fov is great, only dynamic range is not too spectacular, but very fine for uniformly lit indoors.

Power is great on 1S indoors, the tune is spot on.

Outdoors in my opinion this quad doesnít make any sense, skip it and go for toothpicks etc (but you already have that).

The only thing needed to change long term for indoor flying is to direct solder the motor wires, the connectors may start to introduce resistance and youíll notice severe voltage sag. Also the PH2.0 connector may develop resistance, swapping it to a solid pin can solve this.

The camera can very easily pop out of its mounting slots. There is a very good 3D file that you can print that slides onto the lens, it will never pop out again:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3400051

Otherwise, a very fine little machine. But if I had to get an indoor whoop right now, Iíd get something like the Beta85 Pro 2 and fly it with a throttle scale. Since I already have plenty 2S XT30ís lying around, the camera is better, the vtx is better, pretty much everything solved what is wrong with the TH.
Nov 12, 2019, 08:59 PM
FPV Ground Pounder
I agree with Hunonl30 the Tinyhawk S is a great 1s indoor whoop. It's my main indoor flyer and I fly it all over inside my 800 sq ft house, including sitting in the basement and flying up stairs. I'm running the stock tune. I do on occasion fly it outside but prefer a 2s for outside. For me a 85mm is just a little big for my small inside flying space. There is also the Betafpv Metor which was just released and I'm hearing that the is or will be shortly a Mobula 65 hitting the market, but the Tinyhawk S is a proven flyer and has been around for awhile. I'd say you couldn't go wrong with one.
Nov 12, 2019, 09:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugonl30
It works fine out of the box for indoor flying in-house or in the office. If your walls are too thick (european style) you might have some trouble with penetration, the vtx is very week, but typical american homes work great

The camera is fine, the fov is great, only dynamic range is not too spectacular, but very fine for uniformly lit indoors.

Power is great on 1S indoors, the tune is spot on.

Outdoors in my opinion this quad doesnít make any sense, skip it and go for toothpicks etc (but you already have that).

The only thing needed to change long term for indoor flying is to direct solder the motor wires, the connectors may start to introduce resistance and youíll notice severe voltage sag. Also the PH2.0 connector may develop resistance, swapping it to a solid pin can solve this.

The camera can very easily pop out of its mounting slots. There is a very good 3D file that you can print that slides onto the lens, it will never pop out again:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3400051

Otherwise, a very fine little machine. But if I had to get an indoor whoop right now, Iíd get something like the Beta85 Pro 2 and fly it with a throttle scale. Since I already have plenty 2S XT30ís lying around, the camera is better, the vtx is better, pretty much everything solved what is wrong with the TH.
Much appreciated, thanks for your detailed input... sounds like you've been there done that. Just thinking 1S, smaller props, lighter...
Nov 12, 2019, 09:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps50
I agree with Hunonl30 the Tinyhawk S is a great 1s indoor whoop. It's my main indoor flyer and I fly it all over inside my 800 sq ft house, including sitting in the basement and flying up stairs. I'm running the stock tune. I do on occasion fly it outside but prefer a 2s for outside. For me a 85mm is just a little big for my small inside flying space. There is also the Betafpv Metor which was just released and I'm hearing that the is or will be shortly a Mobula 65 hitting the market, but the Tinyhawk S is a proven flyer and has been around for awhile. I'd say you couldn't go wrong with one.
Thanks, sounds like what I'm hoping to duplicate use-wise. Oh, just looked at the Meteor review by Albert Kim... hmmm
Nov 12, 2019, 11:16 PM
quote: The only thing needed to change long term for indoor flying is to direct solder the motor wires, the connectors may start to introduce resistance and you’ll notice severe voltage sag. Also the PH2.0 connector may develop resistance, swapping it to a solid pin can solve this. :quote

That is the ultimate solution to solder the motor wires and I eventually will but in the mean time I have been hitting the motor plugs with Dioxit electronics cleaner with good results. I also went with an XT30 connector with good enough results that I will keep it in spite of the slight extra weight. If you only do 2s I would recommend the xt30. For 1S it's a toss up. The solid pin jst 2.0 is good but eventually you will have to replace that too. I also agree for outside I go to my 4s 3 inch quads as the Tinyhawks cannot compete with them in any way on 2s. I have one 3 inch that way out performs the Tinyhawks on 2s easily that will go 10 minutes. The Tinyhawk's motors are really geared for 1S.
Nov 13, 2019, 09:14 AM
The new BT2.0 connectors might be a better option for the battery connector.
Nov 13, 2019, 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Temporal Flux
I was wondering if doing them in series like other 1-2s whoops have done with ph2.0 connectors would have any value?
Nov 13, 2019, 09:36 AM
Are we not men? We are DEVO!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProgOP
I was wondering if doing them in series like other 1-2s whoops have done with ph2.0 connectors would have any value?
of course it would.
why wouldn't two 9 amp connectors work better than ones that are rated at half or less?
Nov 13, 2019, 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Temporal Flux
Yes I just saw those the other day. Are they new to the market? Anyone use them and do they last? If as good and lighter I would be willing to solder them over.
Nov 13, 2019, 10:13 AM
FPV Ground Pounder
Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOOMNI
Yes I just saw those the other day. Are they new to the market? Anyone use them and do they last? If as good and lighter I would be willing to solder them over.
I don't know that anyone can answer that question yet. They just came available the other day on Betafpv's site. I have some on the way as well as others.
Nov 13, 2019, 09:25 PM
Looking forward to your report on these. The XT30's are great and I run them on 4s 3 inch quads no problem but I think it is overkill on the Tinyhawks slightly weight wise.
Last edited by TURBOOMNI; Nov 13, 2019 at 09:33 PM.
Nov 13, 2019, 10:05 PM
FPV Ground Pounder
Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOOMNI
Looking forward to your report on these. The XT30's are great and I run them on 4s 3 inch quads no problem but I think it is overkill on the Tinyhawks slightly weight wise.
I use XT30's on my 2s whoops on 1s I still use the PH2.0 with solid pins or some I have taken apart and flowed solider down the rolls. I have a battery wired for the BT2.0's for when they get here. I agree an XT30 is to heavy for 1s I think any performance gain would be lost in weight gain. It will be an interesting experiment.
Nov 13, 2019, 10:14 PM
Are we not men? We are DEVO!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps50
I have taken apart and flowed solider down the rolls.
I know, it works pretty well right?
I suggested that a month or so ago to someone on RCG complaining about sag and got nothing but crickets and blank stares.

I was chatting via PM with another RCG member today about how the site has changed lately.
Its become a sort of race to buy the latest gear, display it and never really show it being flown for fun. There's very little stoke posted, mods are at a minimum and people are stomping their feet when release dates aren't met to a T. its basically turning into a fashion show, and dork waving contest about what top speed you can get coupled with and unhealthy appetite for any new buzzwords.
Sure people still come looking for help, or come up with an good tweak/mod. but often the answers by oldtimers are ignored and the mods are poo-pooed.

its an odd shift for sure.
(thanks for nothing, zuckerberg.)
Last edited by xanuser; Nov 13, 2019 at 10:26 PM.

Quick Reply