Jun 25, 2019, 03:29 AM
I'm not sure this helps. We don't fly by propping up bits of the model, we're proactively determining what it does. This just makes flying towards oneself 'different' from flying in any other direction, that makes 2 types of flying to learn, it also makes it more difficult to understand what is going on when orientation is lost or during aerobatics etc. It's much easier long term to develop a good sense of what the model is doing from the outset.

My instructor told me "imagine you are sitting in the model, just move the stick in the direction you want to go"

Then practice. A lot. Spend a whole flying session flying circuits towards yourself. Keep practicing, fly whenever you can, in a wide variety of conditions, there is no substitute for stick time.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 25, 2019, 08:43 AM
A man with a plan
This is probably a moot point in the modern world anyway. In the last 15 years any young person I've taught has found the entire process easy to the point of boredom because of extensive prior experience playing video games.
Jun 25, 2019, 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee taylor
This video should offer some help to the beginner R/C model airplane flyer. I am certainly not a pro but I do have some tips.

Learn to make turns. Learn to fly towards you. Learn to level the wings constantly. Learn to land.

note: When your plane fly's towards you the right-and-left controls will reverse. There is a simple fix for this and all beginner pilots need to learn it. It is called "moving the stick towards the wingtip that is down"
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee taylor
Seeing myself in the cockpit when the plane is flying towards me just flat does not work for me personally. If it works for you .... GREAT... use it. I flew my Senior Falcon and P51 that way for many years. Never liked it. I do what is best for me and I think everyone should do the same
I've read the entire thread and agree with Lee regarding the second words bolded... we each should do what we find works for us, however, I'd take a little issue with the first bolded words "all beginners need to do it."

The two are a bit contradictory.

My instructor forty five years ago, taught the over the shoulder or face the way the plane is flying method and I in turn trained many pilots using that method. I've no experience with the move the stick to the low wing so can't say one way or the other whether it is a good or bad technique.

I remember what what worked for me, but I've been around long enough to know there are often many ways to do something and others don't have to do as I do.
Jun 25, 2019, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EloyM
Moving the stick towards the low wing tip adds one more step to the learning process and will only complicate things. I have experience to prove it. I am the grandfather of RC flying in El Salvador, having been the first person to fly RC there. Through ham radio, I had contacts before I arrived, rapidly located a flying site and stirred up some interest. Put together, trainer, got a Buddy Box for my Orbit, learned some aviation Spanish, and off we go.
I never mentioned orientation reversal or any of that other stuff. From the first, I taught that the only lefts and rights that mattered were those of the airplane and the stick movements to obtain the reaction desired. When I left thee years later, I left eight competent builder/flyers. The group grew, I met about 20 of them at a meet in Honduras years later.
The system works with girls also, I later taught a young lady here in CA . No reversal - left is left and right is right! Only difference is you have to stand really close to be sure she hears your instructions clearly.
Stick to the low wing? - bah humbug!
Left is left and right is right. That's what I've been teaching people for decades. The only people I have a little bit of trouble is those who were suggested to either turn their back or push the stick toward the low wing. They were trying to remember either or sometimes both methods. After training hundreds over the years, all were not even thinking of pushing the stick the wrong way. Usually within minutes, everyone was flying circuits with no tendency to do the wrong thing. I just keep saying right, center and then left, center. Also, I have them think ahead of the plane through their flight. Plan ahead their turns before they make them.

Last but not least, I tell them that though most of the flight they have all the time in the world to move the lever. No hurry. Those who have video game experience give me the most trouble. They want to bang the sticks around like they did with video games.
Jun 26, 2019, 01:20 AM
To add fuel to this discussion!!!!! I got my first multi- channel proportional radio in 1966, learned to fly with it without any low wing or over-the-shoulder instruction. You may be familiar with some of my Model Builder, RCM, MAN, MA magazine work, which I mention here only so I can add that I have seen a lot of RC flying, both expert and sport.
I am 100% convinced that RC flyers come in two basic types - those that PILOT their machines, and those that POINT them. Before you automatically disagree, think about it, think about your thought processes while you are in the air.
I am not qualified to discuss human brain activity, but there is no doubt that the RC PILOT is in his airplane's cockpit and knows at al times where it is headed and what to do to get it there. The POINTER? Again, beyond me, just that he is thinking totally different.
The only competition I ever did seriously was Quarter Midgets, in their early .15 powered
days. Those of you that also race know very well, that when you are mixing up, there is no time for pointing. At five feet off the ground, going over 100 MPH, , with the left wing tip pointed straight at the ground, friend, there is no time to remember which way to move the stick to get back level. You pilot back to level and get ready to aim the wing at the ground again - those pylons comes up fast!!!
Your turn!
Jun 26, 2019, 07:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EloyM
To add fuel to this discussion!!!!! I got my first multi- channel proportional radio in 1966, learned to fly with it without any low wing or over-the-shoulder instruction. You may be familiar with some of my Model Builder, RCM, MAN, MA magazine work, which I mention here only so I can add that I have seen a lot of RC flying, both expert and sport.
I am 100% convinced that RC flyers come in two basic types - those that PILOT their machines, and those that POINT them. Before you automatically disagree, think about it, think about your thought processes while you are in the air.
I am not qualified to discuss human brain activity, but there is no doubt that the RC PILOT is in his airplane's cockpit and knows at al times where it is headed and what to do to get it there. The POINTER? Again, beyond me, just that he is thinking totally different.
The only competition I ever did seriously was Quarter Midgets, in their early .15 powered
days. Those of you that also race know very well, that when you are mixing up, there is no time for pointing. At five feet off the ground, going over 100 MPH, , with the left wing tip pointed straight at the ground, friend, there is no time to remember which way to move the stick to get back level. You pilot back to level and get ready to aim the wing at the ground again - those pylons comes up fast!!!
Your turn!
You are of course correct... there is no time for thinking in such a scenario.
Jul 02, 2019, 07:32 AM
I taught myself to fly and used the looking over the shoulder method at first, then eventually stopped doing that. I think it works because you move the stick the correct way if the tx is oriented the same way to the plane.

Quick Reply