Jun 15, 2019, 05:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirDOGGe
Yeah, I put a 2030 fitted with a finned heat sink in an 11" FT007 in place of it's stock 380 brushed motor, and even there it wasn't the answer. The fact that they are 2-pole brushless motors didn't help the cause.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/atta...mentid=9594662

https://static.rcgroups.net/forums/a...brushless8.jpg
I've never tried one in a boat but I tried a 2040 in a Tamiya Monster beetle "QD" the slightly smaller more toy grade version. It was great when It got up to speed but it cogged and jerked a lot down low. Just going up to a 2430 size motor was a big improvement, same KV but much smoother low end and maintained more speed going through grass etc. The 2430 happened to be 4 pole too.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 16, 2019, 07:09 PM
Well guys, long time no action around here. been working on the fix of my NQD...Got a little accident with it and broke the hull. repaired it using some fiber glass adhesive. Got it running again. Took it to my fav spot, here is winter time so rivers are quite big these days and got some dangerous rapids (which I couldnt avoid)
I like to run it using also my little hd recorder, which is a a Caddx Turtle, it gets 6v directly from the ESC
This little Yellow NQD and a white one was given to me by Oyley from this forum.

My setup is this
Brushless 2848 3930 KV Motor
Hobbywing Seaking 60A ESC
Cheap micro metal gear Servo
3S in this video.

Nqd Tear Into river run and FPV (1 min 40 sec)
Jun 17, 2019, 03:51 PM
Cool vid Chapizoo. You are boating in some big water over there. Itís winter here in NZ too...but the big rain hasnít arrived yet so Iím still able to have some fun on the small streams all around my home.

Kiwikrawlers NQD Tear Into (1 min 54 sec)
Jun 18, 2019, 06:59 PM

Impeller mounting

OK guys I need some advice. I have received an order from Shapeways with a bunch of impellers for the Tear Into. Having never glued an impeller to a shaft...I want to know what the best way might be to do this. Iím thinking epoxy. With a small hole drilled through the impeller to act as a key.
Jun 18, 2019, 09:05 PM
Jetdrives R Us
Thread OP
Epoxy may be a bit too viscous for the job, but CA cement (superglue) works nicely. Grind a flat near the end of the shaft, drill a hole in the impeller where the flat will be, press it on with hole over flat and fill the hole with CA cement. Poke with thin wire to remove air pocket. Reapply after fully cured until it fills the hole. High humidity helps the curing process.

Has anybody done any experimentation to see which pitch is best in that pump? I'd start with the one closest to 18 degrees and work both ways from there.
Jun 25, 2019, 02:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundogz
Epoxy may be a bit too viscous for the job, but CA cement (superglue) works nicely. Grind a flat near the end of the shaft, drill a hole in the impeller where the flat will be, press it on with hole over flat and fill the hole with CA cement. Poke with thin wire to remove air pocket. Reapply after fully cured until it fills the hole. High humidity helps the curing process.

Has anybody done any experimentation to see which pitch is best in that pump? I'd start with the one closest to 18 degrees and work both ways from there.
Thanks Sundogz have whacked out several shafts with different pitch impellers. So will be interesting to see how they go. Great advise on the mounting and didnít think of the flat spot on the shaft...so you da man! 🤓

So tell me how you are measuring the pitch...is it from the vertical back to blade angle? Just wanna be talking the same language when I have some results from my testing. 🧐

Oh...and below is why I love jet boats....you can have a power of fun in ankle deep water. Was trying to thread the needle through a small shoot in a couple of inches of water! 🚤🌊🌊

Skinny water jetboating (2 min 47 sec)
Jun 25, 2019, 10:19 AM
Jetdrives R Us
Thread OP
Here's how I measure blade pitch (for reference).
Jun 25, 2019, 06:00 PM
Looking forward to the results of different impellers. Any link to buy them and make our own tests?
Jun 25, 2019, 09:08 PM
1ONkar, Satnaam

Hello

Who is selling upgrades for this boat?
Satnaam
Jun 25, 2019, 10:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapizoo
Looking forward to the results of different impellers. Any link to buy them and make our own tests?

Just be warned the centre bore for the shaft on these impellers is 3mm. So too big for the production 2.3mm shafts that come with the Tear. I drill out my jetdrive and install a metal sleeve and use a flex shaft...so am able to use whatever shaft diameter I choose. Itís easy to do with a little tool I came across by chance. And the hole stays perfectly straight and aligned.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/LH...d-impeller-set
Jun 26, 2019, 07:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKrawler
Just be warned the centre bore for the shaft on these impellers is 3mm. So too big for the production 2.3mm shafts that come with the Tear. I drill out my jetdrive and install a metal sleeve and use a flex shaft...so am able to use whatever shaft diameter I choose. Itís easy to do with a little tool I came across by chance. And the hole stays perfectly straight and aligned.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/LH...d-impeller-set
Thanks man. I already got one of my pumps modified with a metal sleeve, but no flex shaft. Any link to find a 3mm one?
BTW, heres a vid I made this weekend in a little pond, looks like a swamp on fpv. Hope you like it. its 3S and Im happy with it.
Nqd Tear Into and Caddx in the Swamp (1 min 50 sec)
Jun 28, 2019, 02:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapizoo
Thanks man. I already got one of my pumps modified with a metal sleeve, but no flex shaft. Any link to find a 3mm one?
BTW, heres a vid I made this weekend in a little pond, looks like a swamp on fpv. Hope you like it. its 3S and Im happy with it.
https://youtu.be/eaBuDyox87Y
Wicked vid man. Love seeing other users boats on the water.

This link https://www.rcgenesis.net/22mm-shaft-for-rc-model-boat is a 2.2mm shaft Iím using with some other 3 blade impellers I have. Itís a nice fit in a 3mm outside diameter brass tube I sourced. Canít find a link to that tube right now but can hunt it down later if anyoneís interested. I also use the couplings from the same place as the flex shaft...and can recommend them as theyíre great quality.
The pic below is for another option for the shaft. Itís an 1/8 inch outside diameter brass tube that I have found that 2.4mm tig welding rod is a perfect fit for. The welding rod is 316 stainless so should resist corrosion well.
As for a 3mm flex shaft for the nqd jet drive I wouldnít bother as itís too big. I do have 3mm flex from a local model shop but I will be using that in a 25mm jetdrive Iím planning on dropping into a tear into hull. But thatís a complete new project so watch this space
Jun 28, 2019, 02:31 PM
Just Plane Nutts
My usual source for brass, copper or (soft) aluminum hobby-grade tubing: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...acat=0&_sop=15
Jul 06, 2019, 04:09 PM
Does any of you guys know if theres a 3d printed nqd nozzle to print? Stl files..i wanna see if I can mod one and add a bearing
Yesterday, 11:16 AM
Hi All,

I just bought my first NQD Tear Into jet boat and I'm looking at modding this beast out. Does anyone have some specs for a build as well as pictures? Anything really helps

Can't wait for the fun and some frustrations to begin!!

Quick Reply