Jun 22, 2019, 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinoz
Today I had five very successful flights using the ROG method.
After having a bit of a "tumble"on my last outing ..I decided that my senior body was no longer in the condition to toss 2.3 kl over my shoulder( I'm still in pain)
So taking some expert advise from Paradude, I have now added a tail skid to the trike ..stopping it from falling back on the ground when it gets resistance from the sail.
After a couple of failed attempts.I got the "nack" of lifting the sail and find it ROG in up to 5mph with ease.
I'm sure a lot of you may use a similar method to launch but up till now have not seen it.
Thanks for posting !

This is one of the easier ways to launch this powered paraglider, definitely.
HK Powered Paraglider, first ROG take-offs, June 22, 2019 (9 min 43 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Jun 22, 2019, 07:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carswithplugs
Hi Everyone,

I flew my Paramotor for the first time today. I've never flown one before and was pretty pleased with myself. I had one unsuccessful launch and one abort and then on the third try, up into the sky she went. I flew for under 4 minutes and the motor cut out. Upon investigation I discovered that the motor had burnt out. I was flying with 2x 3S 2100 batteries in parallel

I have contacted HobbyKing and I'm sure they will look after me but I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience?

Here's a low res video of the flight and a photo of the dead motor. The motor cuts out at 3:40

https://youtu.be/c4MgfoIOKR8

Looking forward to getting her back into the air.

If I've done something wrong, I'm all ears

Cheers

David

PS first time I've used this forum too

Hi David,

My motor died on the first flight - lasted about 2 minutes maybe, the motor stopped mid-flight. Landed safely and there was a smell and was not free running.

HK have replaced it since however the rep is different and higher kv. I had already sourced a replacement as I wanted to get flying the next day.

Mike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Jun 23, 2019, 05:49 AM
Steve's HobbyKing Paramotor (1 min 21 sec)

My first attempt at ROG failed miserably. Maybe someone can help tell me what went wrong.
It was a ugly crash but surprised that there was minimal damage.
Jun 23, 2019, 06:51 AM

H-King High Performance Paramotor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotatinginnc
https://youtu.be/WuYlkKvAbSo
My first attempt at ROG failed miserably. Maybe someone can help tell me what went wrong.
It was a ugly crash but surprised that there was minimal damage.

Hi. The first thing I noticed was that the wind is behind you. You can see the chute clearly before throttling up.

Regarding the rest, first- flight- the canopy didnít open on the left side and was a bit high throttle, sometimes gently pumping brakes individually or together will open it.

Flight 2 was a little different- took of ok and seemed fine. Have you flown it using hand launch? Either throttle was too high and didnít settle or inputs were a bit high.

Mike
Last edited by miksterr; Jun 23, 2019 at 07:31 AM.
Jun 23, 2019, 07:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by miksterr
Hi. The first thing I noticed was that the wind is behind you. You can see the chute clearly before throttling up.

Regarding the rest, not shy- flight- the canopy didnít open on the left side and was a bit high throttle, sometimes gently pumping brakes individually or together will open it.

Flight 2 was a little different- took of ok and seemed fine. Have you flown it using hand launch? Either throttle was too high and didnít settle or inputs were a bit high.

Mike
The wind was <5 but changing direction. As far as hand launching, I am almost 70 and have a bad right elbow. That is why I setup a skid to keep the cart upright. Watching the video I think I panicked a little and hit the throttle. when it nosed up, I cut the throttle and the cart fell back into the wing. I have now added some expo (35%) for my next try.
Thanks for your input
Steve
Jun 23, 2019, 07:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotatinginnc
The wind was <5 but changing direction. As far as hand launching, I am almost 70 and have a bad right elbow. That is why I setup a skid to keep the cart upright. Watching the video I think I panicked a little and hit the throttle. when it nosed up, I cut the throttle and the cart fell back into the wing. I have now added some expo (35%) for my next try.

Thanks for your input

Steve

Hi Steve,

Totally understand regarding the hand launch- I was saying on Saturday after flying mine that it is like a workout!

I did several self launches and my son launched for me too (he is young but excellent at it) the ROG I tried were off grass and I needed to assist the canopy- but it took off.

I think Iíll try the backhand method shown in some recent videos. Looks like a good idea as you can see the chute inflate. Also may be a bit more natural to keep the Ďarcí as you launch.

Good luck with it. Iím the only one at our club with one at the moment but more on the way.

Mike
Jun 23, 2019, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Hi Steve,

Totally understand regarding the hand launch- I was saying on Saturday after flying mine that it is like a workout!

I did several self launches and my son launched for me too (he is young but excellent at it) the ROG I tried were off grass and I needed to assist the canopy- but it took off.

I think Iíll try the backhand method shown in some recent videos. Looks like a good idea as you can see the chute inflate. Also may be a bit more natural to keep the Ďarcí as you launch.

Good luck with it. Iím the only one at our club with one at the moment but more on the way.

Mike
I will get the hang of it soon. I am the only one flying a Paramotor at my club also and I am sure someone will have one soon.
Jun 23, 2019, 02:58 PM
Had an accidental short maiden tonight by ROG with mine then a second flight by hand launching. All good and great fun although wind was not ideal and rather gusty at times but we survived! Could have used a bit more weight.
Jun 23, 2019, 06:24 PM
G'Day Steve
From what I see from your video.
On that nice smooth surface you were attempting to ROG...I'm thinking that you had for to much throttle .They fly on 50% easy and possibly just a little more for ROG.
If you give to much throttle ..then the trike tries to pull "UP" and the sail won't let it and so the trike will try to "dance" all over the place.And weighing it down really helps keep stop it moving around.
If your helper moves forward, holding the sail up in the flying position as you apply gentle power ...then you will find it fly easily.
Just a little practice using the correct technique.
Happy Landings
Chris...
Jun 23, 2019, 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinoz
G'Day Steve
From what I see from your video.
On that nice smooth surface you were attempting to ROG...I'm thinking that you had for to much throttle .They fly on 50% easy and possibly just a little more for ROG.
If you give to much throttle ..then the trike tries to pull "UP" and the sail won't let it and so the trike will try to "dance" all over the place.And weighing it down really helps keep stop it moving around.
If your helper moves forward, holding the sail up in the flying position as you apply gentle power ...then you will find it fly easily.
Just a little practice using the correct technique.
Happy Landings
Chris...
Thanks Chris, weight is 19.70kg for my rig. Definitely need to work on throttle control. My helper actually flyís full scale paramotors but funny he didnít want to take control for the first flight. He told me the same thing about throttle control. We will give it another go soon as the wind lets us and hopefully posting a successful flight. Cheers, Steve
Jun 23, 2019, 06:37 PM
Indoor Free Flight Modeler
Had another great flight today around 20 minutes. The big difference for me on this aircraft from all my failed launches from before is that I have my brake lines on a trim knob now and found that a little bit of brake keeps the tips from tucking when hand launching. The difference in arm positions is rather small about 1/4" or so but makes a huge difference in my sail in how it inflates. Before the sail would go up then as it got to the top over me it would tuck under at the tips just at the time to launch. By adding a trim knob to the brake lines I was able to find the right spot where the sail stays nice over my head and through the launch. The knob on my radio (Horus X10) has 6 positions. Before I launch I add in two clicks on the knob, then once flying I found I really need only 1 click in the knob. If I go to no clicks it will fly but if I hit turbulence or turn too tight the tips collapse. But the key for me was finding a brake setting that made the foil inflate and stay inflated over my head at launch. When it kept collapsing I thought it was my technique.

I am going to reduce my throws for normal turning. Seems to me full brake for full left or right is too much. So going to turn down my mixes for left and right turning but keep full brake available for landing or if the tips ever collapse. I flew today with essentially no winds then as the flight went on winds got up to about 5-7 ish. Definitely can tell it does not like higher winds. Cart looks a little pointed down when I fly but when I do a static hang it is level so must be the high thrust line. I do not go over half throttle much when flying. If you want to climb it just takes time. Did find some lift as I cut the power and still went up about 100 feet in about 3 minutes. I am glad I bough this. Nice to have a different model to fly with its own set of unique challenges.
Last edited by The Don; Jun 23, 2019 at 06:46 PM.
Jun 24, 2019, 02:19 PM
[QUOTE=rlisch;42148917]Thanks for posting !

This is one of the easier ways to launch this powered paraglider, definitely.

As it is usually windy down here I tested my powered paraglider over the weekend in measured winds of around 10mph and gusting to 15mph. In the gusts the paraglider actually flew in reverse over ground, which I expected.
The issue at the beginning was to get airborne. The method I choose was ROG for better control in the takeoff phase.
After a few aborted inflationes and a back loop I added a throttle curve and 150grs of additional lead to bring total weight up to 2.5kg.
The motor power is actually on the high side for this paramotor as takeoff acceleration in windy conditions has to be measured as too much acceleration can end in a back loop.
Once I got the hang of it I just accelerated enough to keep the canopy overhead of the trike, once inflated without any forward movement. When everything looked ok I just added a little power to takeoff from the spot without any forward roll, working
my way little by little into the wind with just enough acceleration to slightly climb to a safe altitude. Each time the windspeed gusted up the paraglider started to fly slowly in reverse which I contered with reducing acceleration which actually speeds up the wing into the wind. Once up over approx. 50' and well upwind it was actually quite easy to compensate for the wind gusts. My longest flight was around 30 minutes.
With the loaded trike the canopy got very sensitive to brake line inputs. Trying a few stalls by applying brake it did not need much to enter a fullstall with a violent recovery loosing at least 60 to 70' in height. I adjusted the brake line length which did not improve the sensitivity to steering imputs very much. Suppose this has to do with the single surface canopy and its geometry.

At least I feel confident now to fly this PPG with our usual wind speeds in the morning and late afternoon hours. It made actually a lot of fun and kept me busy while flying this model.
Last edited by rlisch; Jun 24, 2019 at 02:31 PM.
Jun 24, 2019, 05:56 PM
SuperDave

Backwards Launch Method

I found this video showing a backwards launch, which seemed intriguing.

New Hobby King Paraglider Hand Launch (1 min 6 sec)

I wasn't able to get out to the field for my maiden today, but I did a few simulated launches in my backyard kiting the wing overhead. I tried both forward and backwards methods and found that I could get the wing overhead in a proper launch position more consistently using the backwards method in the video. If the wing started to come up a little to either side, I was able to correct and center the trike under it more easily. It can be a little trickier because you're moving backwards, but the motion felt pretty natural. Kind of like flying a stunt kite out in front of you (which I've been doing for years). I think this may be my method of choice for the maiden flight (hopefully later this week). If you have decent balance and fairly even terrain, it may be worth a try.

Forward, backwards, or ROG; ultimately it will come down to personal preference and what works best for you, but considering all the launching difficulties we've been seeing, it's good to have another option.

SuperDave
Jun 25, 2019, 01:04 AM
SuperDave, that seems a better way of launching. I have been looking at the tutorials on the Opale Paramodel website and that is his method. His videos are in French but with English subtitles. Can't post a link with this tablet, will try later on my computer.
Cheers Bob
Jun 25, 2019, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Hi David,

My motor died on the first flight - lasted about 2 minutes maybe, the motor stopped mid-flight. Landed safely and there was a smell and was not free running.

HK have replaced it since however the rep is different and higher kv. I had already sourced a replacement as I wanted to get flying the next day.

Mike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks Mike,

Yep! Exactly the same as mine.

I'm keen to get mine up in the air again too. HobbyKing are sending a replacement motor 3542/5 1250KV

Cheers

David

Quick Reply