Jun 20, 2019, 03:12 AM
SSM
SSM
Voluntary Assumption of Risk
Great thread - thanks to all!

Out of interest, will these paramotors glide? What happens when you throttle off at a height?

Simon
to remove ads between posts
Jun 20, 2019, 07:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmason42
Hey, guys - just want to let you know that you all are doing great with this! These are deceptively simple aircraft but are a bit difficult to master - I spent a few years trying and crashing, so it's good to see you all in the air!

Regarding the 649mm brake line mark - this is the designed length (no experimentation, but as per the plans), so IF HK constructed it properly that should be the sweet spot. The only exceptions come on either dead calm days or windy days. On very calm days, I tend to load the cart a little lighter (say 1600-1700g instead of 1700-1800g) and trim the brakes in a BIT AFTER the launch. It takes a bit of feel, but that's why I set up a trim speed pot on the radio. This will make it really float.

Conversely, on very windy days, I will increase the weight of the cart to around 1950-2000g and let the brake lines out a BIT (maybe 5mm or so, but no more) to help with loading and wind penetration.

Hope this is helpful

-James
THANK YOU James !!

This is the single most important post that goes in my HK Para bible !

Sorry if bothering you but just to be very sure - can you please confirm that I understood this correctly:

Assuming 649mm mark is on TOP of riser ring for default position - settings for trim speed pot:

a) no wind - brake lines IN (after launch) - arms moves DOWN - shorten brake lines - that sweet 649mm mark moves DOWN closer to bottom of that top riser ring (MAX 5mm or so).. - (plus lighter weight ..)

b) more than very light breeze - brake lines OUT (also after launch) - arms moves UP - extend brake lines - 649mm mark moves ABOVE top of riser ring (MAX 5mm or so ..) - (plus more weight ..)

P.S.

Sorry if just repeating obvious that you said - I tend to do this especially when doing simple jobs involving "hardware" (you know that thing that hurts if fall on a foot..) - when lifting something heavy it is too late if someone yells "move RIGHT.." and other one yells "whos RIGHT - MINE or YOURS .."
Last edited by Darko FC; Jun 20, 2019 at 08:03 AM.
Jun 20, 2019, 10:51 AM
Lookin' up at the centerline
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgotro
I just bought the Hobby King Paramotor. When I setup my DX9 with your setting it doesn't work. The when I push the elevator up the arms go up and pushing down only one arm moves. Aileron does nothing. Any ideas.
Mine setup might be a little different because I'm using a Futaba.
But.
Instead of fooling with all of the mixes, I plugged one servo in aileron, the other in elevator and set the wing type for elevons.
Then I set end points for 0% one way and 100% the other way for ailerons, this unintentionally set the elevator for one way also.
If something's not right with the directions, try switching servos plugs before changing any settings. This kind of set up has worked well for me on the paramotor and works well for flying wings too. (without the 0% limit)

Just an alternative idea...
Nick
Jun 20, 2019, 02:24 PM
I review RC Products
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM
Great thread - thanks to all!

Out of interest, will these paramotors glide? What happens when you throttle off at a height?

Simon
Thanks Simon!

Yes, they will glide. It is best to keep a little power on, but gliding is what you should do when you want to come in to land.

GB
Jun 21, 2019, 03:02 AM
RC pilot by soul
has anyone found a nice barbie doll to put on the seat for scale looks?
Jun 21, 2019, 06:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by i3dm
has anyone found a nice barbie doll to put on the seat for scale looks?
I checked out wally world for a quality barbie but was unable to find something I found exciting enough to adorn the paramotor.
Jun 21, 2019, 04:11 PM
R/C Air Adventures
@Chris - no idea of the specs on the motor - they did not pass along that info to me. I don't even know what the max amperage is on it. There are no markings on both of the units I have. If you want to be sure, I would swap the motor. Look for something in the 1300-1400kV range capable of up to about 500W.

@Darko FC - yes, you have that correct. However, don't overthink it! Use the standard mark from dead calm up to 5-7mph winds and it will fly just fine. Use weight as your primary adjustment. 1500-1700g for dead calm up to 2-3mph, 1700-1900g for 3-5mph, 1900 up to 2100 for higher than 5mph wind.

HAVE FUN!
Jun 21, 2019, 11:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page
I'm doing something wrong. I'd hoped to take my paramotor to a large flying event this weekend -- but not way. I've unsuccessfully tried many times to get the foil to inflate and rise above my head - but I can't get anywhere with it. (not trying to launch but practicing) ......)

I finally was able to get to diagnosing the issue today. I think I mentioned that my assembly had been put on hold because I was sick -- well I guess I was much more under the weather than I'd realized. I totally failed on the 649mm measurements. I was not even close! No idea what I was doing - but I remember doing it very carefully. Got things measured and adjusted correctly today.

I was able to "kite" the parafoil today with no problems. I'm not ready to throttle up yet, still practicing the launch move and getting accustomed to that. My only concern was that when the parafoil gets overhead it tends to collapse at the leading edge (no throttle and no release). That makes me think the brake lines may be a tiny bit short. Just needing some suitable weather now to give it a go.
Jun 22, 2019, 04:23 AM
James
..yes that had crossed my mind but was just a little reluctant to pull out a nice new motor....but I did it any how although I have not tried it yet..
I have now had ten successful flights using the assisted ROG and have been able to launch in up to seven MPH winds. But I am thinking that would be pretty well max wind for this model. Can be very interesting flying in those kinds of wind.
Happy landings
Chris...
Jun 22, 2019, 05:10 AM
Yet another HK Paramotor in the air, Robyn is preferring the ground take off method so far. Certainly some different ways to get airborne but hey.....short black or cappuccino.....its still a coffee

Robyn HK Paramotor ROG with added excitement (0 min 24 sec)
Jun 22, 2019, 08:40 AM

Maiden Flight - Failed Motor

Hi Everyone,

I flew my Paramotor for the first time today. I've never flown one before and was pretty pleased with myself. I had one unsuccessful launch and one abort and then on the third try, up into the sky she went. I flew for under 4 minutes and the motor cut out. Upon investigation I discovered that the motor had burnt out. I was flying with 2x 3S 2100 batteries in parallel

I have contacted HobbyKing and I'm sure they will look after me but I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience?

Here's a low res video of the flight and a photo of the dead motor. The motor cuts out at 3:40

HobbyKing Paramotor Maiden Flight (3 min 59 sec)

Looking forward to getting her back into the air.

If I've done something wrong, I'm all ears

Cheers

David

PS first time I've used this forum too
Jun 22, 2019, 08:49 AM
Awesome David.....that field looks familiar A couple Ive seen on Facebook had dud motors........but assuming there are thousands sold and we only hear bad news its not bad odds......hope they sort it out for you
Jun 22, 2019, 09:04 AM
Haha!! Yes, you'd be familiar with the field I spoke with Chris the other day and he mentioned you. I suspect you're right, just a rare dud motor. I'm sure I'll get a replacement pretty quickly.
Jun 22, 2019, 12:54 PM
Indoor Free Flight Modeler
Success! Had a 30 minute maiden flight. Flying at 2000 grams .
Jun 22, 2019, 03:12 PM
AA6JB
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don
Success! Had a 30 minute maiden flight. Flying at 2000 grams .

Congrats Don! Nice duration there too!
Latest blog entry: Updated FMS 1400mm J3 Cub

Quick Reply