Jun 19, 2019, 12:13 AM
Big 3D
I do not know if he's doing a review or asking for help. I have never flown a paramotor but I think I understand the concept. I have the HobbyKing paramotor sitting here ready to go just waiting for the right time. But everything I've studied about paramotors for the last 5 years says this one should fly nicely. I just do not want him to get discouraged or discourage anyone from trying this paramotor.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 19, 2019, 01:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmyers
Regarding line lengths, did you see this post?
Yes I did, I printed out the plans and made up the lines except my non slip loop knots were questionable about being exact. (1-2mm +/-).

I flew the PPG today, a few failed launches but eventually got her in the air. I made a mistake by leaving some tape on the opposite side line which I had marked for reference. Needless to say, this didn't help with the launches. Here is the video.
HK Paramotor 3rd Flight Several Failed Launches & lines taped! (7 min 35 sec)

Happy flying!
Jun 19, 2019, 04:11 AM
Today I had five very successful flights using the ROG method.
After having a bit of a "tumble"on my last outing ..I decided that my senior body was no longer in the condition to toss 2.3 kl over my shoulder( I'm still in pain)
So taking some expert advise from Paradude, I have now added a tail skid to the trike ..stopping it from falling back on the ground when it gets resistance from the sail.
After a couple of failed attempts.I got the "nack" of lifting the sail and find it ROG in up to 5mph with ease.
I'm sure a lot of you may use a similar method to launch but up till now have not seen it.
Jun 19, 2019, 04:12 AM
Parasail ROG (0 min 25 sec)
Jun 19, 2019, 06:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinoz
Today I had five very successful flights using the ROG method.
After having a bit of a "tumble"on my last outing ..I decided that my senior body was no longer in the condition to toss 2.3 kl over my shoulder( I'm still in pain)
So taking some expert advise from Paradude, I have now added a tail skid to the trike ..stopping it from falling back on the ground when it gets resistance from the sail.
After a couple of failed attempts.I got the "nack" of lifting the sail and find it ROG in up to 5mph with ease.
I'm sure a lot of you may use a similar method to launch but up till now have not seen it.
I will be trying this on my next outing. +1 , it is tough on this senior body as well
Jun 19, 2019, 07:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradude
After seeing a few vids and setting up a couple DO NOT SKIP James video regarding kiting. The vid above is brake lines too tight.....if the foil is not overhead, the trike will soon be dead.
+1+1+1 on all of James's videos, they were excellent and I really appreciate his work in getting this thing out there. I probably would never have tried a paramotor except for this one becoming available at such a great price.
Jun 19, 2019, 09:18 AM
Lookin' up at the centerline
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmason42
Taildragger - that looks like you were using an awful lot of throttle. At full throttle, the cart will try to do a loop over the wing. Under normal conditions you should never need more than half throttle. The inflation looks good, and as long as your weight is in the 1700-1800g range, I think too much gas might be the issue.

Good luck!
Thanks, the weight is 1520g as per the HK setup vid. Do you think I could find the throttle envelope a little wider with a few more oz. ?
I was shooting for about 2/3 throttle but probably overshot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmason42
@TailDragger - have you checked the brake lines? Those tips collapsing looks like there might not be quite enough brake pressure - plus the inflation is a little fast. Also remember, fast throttle changes will cause the cart to twist in the lines due to the p-factor. The key is smooth throttle changes.
Great info!
I wasn't sure about tweaking the breaklines, haven't seen much on it, but from the latest remarks it seems that too much pressure and the sail won't come up high enough. too little and the sail collapses too easily.
The thing I'm still unsure of is how much leeway I have.
Currently the brakeline marks are about 1/16" above the 2 metal line holders, the vid says they should be even with the top.
Could that 1/16" (maybe 1/8") be critical?

Time to start straightening the prop guard supports and trying again. The guard ring broke between the two holes where the support attaches, I think I can repair with a little sheet plastic and some solvent.

Thanks for the help diagnosing the not so obvious (to me) errors guys.

Nick
Jun 19, 2019, 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamin
I do not know if he's doing a review or asking for help. I have never flown a paramotor but I think I understand the concept. I have the HobbyKing paramotor sitting here ready to go just waiting for the right time. But everything I've studied about paramotors for the last 5 years says this one should fly nicely. I just do not want him to get discouraged or discourage anyone from trying this paramotor.
No review, I'm just a semi bored fixed wing flier that doesn't recognise the effects of line length, etc. and looking to learn.
No discouragement either, most of my experiments look like flying jigsaw puzzles.
You should see some of my autogyro fails.

So how about it pros (and semi pros) does one or two mm on the break lines make a big diff?

Oops. forgot one question, the support line bar above the servos is bent up on one side about 1/8".
would that have any effect on stabibility?
Jun 19, 2019, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by taildragger1589
No review, I'm just a semi bored fixed wing flier that doesn't recognise the effects of line length, etc. and looking to learn.
No discouragement either, most of my experiments look like flying jigsaw puzzles.
You should see some of my autogyro fails.

So how about it pros (and semi pros) does one or two mm on the break lines make a big diff?
From what I can gather (from opale FAQ stuff), yes. They advice adjusting 1cm at a time, this advise would lead me to believe that 1cm could make a difference.

Oops. forgot one question, the support line bar above the servos is bent up on one side about 1/8".
would that have any effect on stabibility?
From the above, yes.
Jun 19, 2019, 01:38 PM
First unbend the flybar to be even both sides 649mm seems to be the sweet spot everyone gets back to after experimenting recheck carefully the marks and knot placement. Also the holes in the control arms should be just above the top edge of the flybar sighting across it. Yogi One more thing get the weight up to 1800grams trike only no sail place the weight at the back of the battery tray.
Jun 19, 2019, 04:58 PM
Yogi1
Jun 19, 2019, 06:45 PM
Got a diver's weight bag that'll take it to1793g.
prop guard supports are fairly straight.
Two adjustable spanners worked well at straightening the flybar.
all I have to do now is mount the prop guard and retie the brake lines

Thanks for all the advice.
Jun 19, 2019, 08:17 PM

Doesn't work

I just bought the Hobby King Paramotor. When I setup my DX9 with your setting it doesn't work. The when I push the elevator up the arms go up and pushing down only one arm moves. Aileron does nothing. Any ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushdoctor
My setup for the DX9:

Right servo = ELE
Left servo = AIL
NO servos reversed
Travel: AIL = 150 /0 ELE = 0/150 Adjust end points to align brake arms. (i.e. mine ELE = 0/133)
Mix 1 : ELE>AIL -100% -100% Offset 0%
Mix 2: AIL>ELE 0% 100% Offset 0%
Mix 3: AIL>AIL 0% -100% Offset 0%
Mix 4: RUD>AIL 100% 0% Offset 0%
Mix 5: RUD>ELE 0% 100% Offset 0%

Works great and I set Aileron trim to large increments.
Jun 19, 2019, 09:12 PM
R/C Air Adventures
Hey, guys - just want to let you know that you all are doing great with this! These are deceptively simple aircraft but are a bit difficult to master - I spent a few years trying and crashing, so it's good to see you all in the air!

Regarding the 649mm brake line mark - this is the designed length (no experimentation, but as per the plans), so IF HK constructed it properly that should be the sweet spot. The only exceptions come on either dead calm days or windy days. On very calm days, I tend to load the cart a little lighter (say 1600-1700g instead of 1700-1800g) and trim the brakes in a BIT AFTER the launch. It takes a bit of feel, but that's why I set up a trim speed pot on the radio. This will make it really float.

Conversely, on very windy days, I will increase the weight of the cart to around 1950-2000g and let the brake lines out a BIT (maybe 5mm or so, but no more) to help with loading and wind penetration.

Hope this is helpful

-James
Jun 20, 2019, 01:07 AM
I may have seen this question asked before ..without an answer.
I find that the ESC will handle up to 6 cell but I have not been able to get any info on the motor ...as I would like to run 4 cell lipos.
Not that I want to go any faster...just that I have a few 4 cell not being used at the moment.
Happy Landings
Chris..

Quick Reply