Jan 03, 2020, 10:17 AM
Fire Marshall Bill
Happy to report that HH received the S2100 I sent in the day after Christmas, and a new replacement was shipped out yesterday (the day after New Year's).
One week=pretty impressive. They found an internal short on the Ch 2 balance board unrelated to the actual balance port. Just a fluke, hopefully, unless we start hearing of this a lot!
to remove ads between posts
Jan 06, 2020, 10:06 AM
Fire Marshall Bill
Final report. Replacement charger came Sat. so 1.5 weeks door to door. Very satisfied,
Jan 18, 2020, 11:56 AM
OR65 Eagles Nest
so what is the general consenus on the new smart batteries any good ??
I have one plane I purchased a RTF Aero scout that came with one of these batteries . I like the auto storage idea as I am bad about doing that part of battery maintence /storage ...
I am considering a couple of the 6.6 life smart rx packs for a turbine jet build but still not 100% sure or ready to make the jump as it will need to get the charger and power supply for it to all work correctly if I am understanding correctly ?
Looking for comments from actual user results ...
Jan 18, 2020, 12:36 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Thread OP
I’ve been using the 6.6 LiFe Smart Battery packs for ignition and RX packs on my Valiant 10cc with very good results. The packs are buried in the fuselage and I have Smart Extensions for charging. I charge the packs the night before. I’ve set the Self-Discharge for 24 hours so they are ready to fly the next day. If I don’t get to fly, or even if I do, the Smart Batteries begin their self-discharge on schedule and they are ready for a full charge whenever I’m planning to fly again. I’ve been very pleased with all my Smart Batteries, but specially with the LiFe packs. With my standard packs, I was never sure when they were properly storage charged. Now I don’t have to worry about that.

I use the packs without any Voltage regulation as my ignition and RX are rated for full LiFe Voltage. You may need to check your equipment ratings to see if a regulator will be needed.

McD
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Jan 18, 2020, 02:00 PM
OR65 Eagles Nest
The plane I am planning on running the 6.6 LiFe packs in will be running a power safe 20 channel and has older servos thus the requirement for the 6.6 volt packs . The turbine itself will be powered by a 11.1 lipo pack .

Most of my larger Gas planes are newer builds and are safe to run 7.4 Lipo rx packs without regulators powering their ignition with Tech aero I-becs right from the RX .

Am also considering the use of the newer safe batteries in my electric aircraft for the auto storage balance function . I try to get out and fly most weekends thru spring summer and into early fall but winter is very hit and miss so packs end up sitting charged .
Jan 18, 2020, 02:36 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Thread OP
I hate to think how many Lipo batteries I ruined by letting them stay fully charged waiting for a good flying day. I own several specially designed discharge units for balancing cells and storage discharging, but they sit idle now that I’m flying mostly Smart Batteries.
McD
Jan 19, 2020, 09:05 AM
I've got 2 6S 5000mAh Smart batteries that I run, and I love it. They are both set to 12hr discharges since i often charge my batteries a couple of hours before I run. The auto-discharge really makes battery maintenance easier. I plan on continuing to buy them as money allows.
Jan 21, 2020, 12:52 PM
Fire Marshall Bill
Have you ever checked the results of the self discharge function? Please report your success with it. Mine is negligible. Discharge rate is so tiny that after a week they are only about 3.5/cell let alone 3.0! As a backup so you don't store the battery at full charge for a long period, it is a nice feature. But as your primary end of the day discharge to storage method, I think you are kidding yourself.
Jan 21, 2020, 02:25 PM
Electric Fight Columnist
The intent was never for it to be the primary discharge method for storage, it is intended to protect us from ourselves when we leave fully charged packs in storage. For that purpose, it does it’s job. It’s a very low current discharge...VERY low.
Jan 22, 2020, 01:58 AM
We shall serve the Lord
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo Te
Have you ever checked the results of the self discharge function? Please report your success with it. …...
Did you see the discharge graphs in the review? They show discharge characteristics for the two packs I reviewed. Yes, the discharge current level is very low, but they do discharge as expected. The larger the mAh rating of the pack, the longer it will take to discharge. I use the Self-discharge as the primary means of discharge on my LiFe batteries that are permanently installed in some of my airframes and it has worked very well for me.

McD
Last edited by kingsflyer; Jan 22, 2020 at 02:44 AM.
Jan 22, 2020, 01:31 PM
I did test out the discharge function on one of my packs. I set the timer for 12 hours and the voltage to 3.80, then charged the battery to 4.10/cell. It took a couple of days, but the battery did discharge as expected and ended up very close to 3.8v/cell.
Jan 24, 2020, 10:00 AM
I just tested the discharge rate of one of my smart packs. It was a 1300mAh 3s pack set to self-discharge to the standard storage voltage of 3.8V per cell, with the timer set to 24 hours.

The pack was fully charged to 4.2V/cell at 5:40 pm 1/21 so it should have initiated the self-discharge around 5:40 pm on the 22nd. At 9:30 pm on the 22nd the pack was at 90%, at 9:00 am on the 23rd it was at 70% (3.96V/cell), at 9:15 pm on the 23rd it was at 43% (3.85V/cell), and my last measurement at 8:30 am on the 24th it was at storage voltage.

So, it took less than 48 hours to go from full charge down to the standard storage charge. For me, that is a perfectly acceptable discharge rate, though I’ll probably set the initiation time down to 16 hours.
Jan 25, 2020, 03:31 AM
So when using s2100, With provided wall cable

You get 100watts per channel and 200 watts total?

So what changes when powered with the 30amp 540watts power supply??

Also ,

When I am charging my 5000mah smart lipo, It wont go past 8.0 amps for charging? ??? I thought it was 12 amps max

Thank you?
Last edited by alibaloch94; Jan 25, 2020 at 03:38 AM.
Jan 25, 2020, 07:33 AM
We shall serve the Lord
Thread OP
My understanding is that the S2100 can provide up to 100 Watts per channel when you are charging two batteries (one on each channel), or up to 200 Watts if you are only charging a single battery on one channel.

With the Spektrum SPMXC10201 power supply, you get up to 540 Watts of power. You could power two S2100 chargers simultaneously with each charger supplying 200 Watts and still have another 140 Watts of power available from the supply.

I'm guessing you have a 6-cell 5000 mAh pack, so 8 Amps x 25 Volts = 200 Watts.

McD
Jan 25, 2020, 03:21 PM
OR65 Eagles Nest
So I just received my new rx Life batteries for a turbine project I am working on they will be powering the power safe RX for controls only ...
I also have one other of the new horizon smart batteries but have yet to purchase a smart technology charger for use with them . Want to be sure to get what I need and one that will charge any of the smart batteries I may get in the future . it also needs to be able to make/read the changes to the settings on the battery chip for the self discharge and other functions . I spent a short time playing with one at the local hobby shop but was unable to figure out how to access the programmable self discharge settings so are all the smart charger able to if so how and which charger should I be looking for ??? I will be flying everything from 2S-12S lipo and as mentioned 2S life rx packs I also run a few 2slipo rx packs on my HV 3D planes ...
suggestions ??

Quick Reply