This thread is privately moderated by UpNup, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 27, 2019, 06:44 PM
Who are these that fly?
Thread OP
Mini-HowTo

Aileron and Flap p-51B

Amazing that it took several free hours this weekend just to make one flap and an aileron. Im trying to be careful, but wowzers. This is my second RC build from plans and no short kit this time. Gratification yes, instant no on this P-51B 57 WS.

Can I at least get a participation award? Ha!
to remove ads between posts
May 27, 2019, 10:49 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
Once you've done it a few times it gets a lot faster. I haven't stick-built in a while, but I built dozens of airplanes over the span of a few decades. When I started, the best glue was Ambroid and it took overnight to set. You'd pin everything together and go do something else while it dried. Then I got a magnet building board. No more pins. That sped stuff up quite a bit. But then CA showed up and then I was able to build about as fast as I could lay the parts down on the board... A model that'd take 2 weeks with Ambroid could be done in a (exhausting) day with CA.
May 28, 2019, 11:24 AM
Who are these that fly?
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketsled666
Once you've done it a few times it gets a lot faster. I haven't stick-built in a while, but I built dozens of airplanes over the span of a few decades. When I started, the best glue was Ambroid and it took overnight to set. You'd pin everything together and go do something else while it dried. Then I got a magnet building board. No more pins. That sped stuff up quite a bit. But then CA showed up and then I was able to build about as fast as I could lay the parts down on the board... A model that'd take 2 weeks with Ambroid could be done in a (exhausting) day with CA.
Thanks for the encouragement. Yes, this build uses both Titebond II and CA. I use medium CA to give me a few more seconds grace. Is it me or does CA seem to be somewhat brittle? I like the Titebond's texture when dry.

Quick Reply