Jun 15, 2019, 03:34 PM
Agree carrying by the wires doesn't sound like a comfortable idea, also the battery wont stay stationary as you walk it will swing, thats is not good.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 15, 2019, 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogDipstick
I need a contact that is quick, painless, smaller than an Anderson SILVER SB1/0 Ga. Ive got loads of them but they are to large.

Rated for 350 amps or more.

Any suggestions?
I've got the Castle Creations 6.5 mm connectors rated for #8 wire and 200 Amps. They don't even get warm at 130 Amps.

http://www.castlecreations.com/en/ca...mm-011-0053-00

Also have some APP connectors that are 8X more volume than the standard APP connectors many of us have used. They are HUGE!
Jun 15, 2019, 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatZilla
And right behind that solder joint is regular wire/insulation with no additional strain relief. It's not meant to be a structural element.

It's not a good habit to get into, and it's not a good habit to suggest to anyone.

Don't carry your batteries by the wire, and don't separate the connectors by the wire.

If you stop to think about it as prescribed, then it stops being an assumption you never thought about.
Especially on the smaller servo type wires, it isn't the soldered connection that is worrisome, but the area between the end of the solder joint under the insulation of the wire. That can be a stress point where pulling on those type wires can lead to fractures of some of the strands. I've seen it happen.

For the #12 wire used for electric power in our models, any quality solder joint will be far stronger than your ability to pull those wires out of the solder joint. A "Proper" solder joint just "looks good!"

Note the solder "wicking into" the terminal at the end of this video I made several years ago. As a comparison, the bottom pin was soldered with my 60 watt pencil type soldering iron that isn't nearly as "good looking".

EC Connector 100 Watt Iron (0 min 29 sec)
Last edited by vollrathd; Jun 15, 2019 at 03:58 PM.

Quick Reply