May 27, 2019, 04:22 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Better battery connectors?

I've been using Deans for some time but realize I may need to go to a heavier connector. I've been attempting to use Castle brand 6.5mm but they are very difficult to work with as in assembling them and attempting to plug them in. If they are out by a thousandth they won't plug together. I'm considering starting over and removing them for a different type or brand.
Any recommendations for an alternate brand such as XT 60 or EC type?
to remove ads between posts
May 27, 2019, 05:11 PM
XT60 or XT90 for big currents

not knockoffs, Amass brand
May 27, 2019, 07:45 PM
Bombs away! Err...landing
Yep, definitely XTs I've switched all my deans over and have no regrets.
May 27, 2019, 10:33 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
XT60 and EC3 are mostly interchangeable, electrically equivalent. In fact, today I flew a new quad with a pack that had EC3 on it, with XT60 on the quad. EC3 plugged in to the XT60 just fine.

Mechanically, I like the EC connectors best. If soldered correctly, there is no exposed conductor on the back side of the connector after assembly. Deans and XT both suffer from this weakness and need extra heat shrink to address or the connectors are not really safe.

Both EC and XT are superior to Deans, IMO, in that both male and female connectors are fully shrouded. I've seen newbies at the field with the male Deans soldered to their battery with the live connector blades just swinging in the breeze. You can't make that mistake with XT or EC.

I've been using EC for many years. The biggest problem I have with them is that they can be "airtight" when mated, making them very hard to unmate (which isn't necessarily a bad thing). The XT connectors don't have this problem. I'm slowly switching from EC2 to XT30 for my small stuff where wires are more easily torn if the connector-separation process goes badly.
May 27, 2019, 11:29 PM
Bombs away! Err...landing
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketsled666
Mechanically, I like the EC connectors best. If soldered correctly, there is no exposed conductor on the back side of the connector after assembly. Deans and XT both suffer from this weakness and need extra heat shrink to address or the connectors are not really safe.
If you're worried about it, then get the ones with end caps.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/new-xt60...-5set-bag.html
May 28, 2019, 06:43 AM

knock off XT60 intermittent from new

ive been consistently crashing a Volantex ASW-28 , - changed rxes, changed cg, -it flies ok then suddenly noses in several inches into dirt , the last crash the lipo didnt disconnect and the orange rx was blinking red and orange- intermittent lipo connection- i looked at the (what i now suspect strongly is a knock off XT60 )(it doesnt say "amass " on the esc side), and the crosshatch cuts were closed up- tight- theres no room for that variance in there, and now when i rebuild this again i wont be flying the knock off XT60- i spread the cross cut conductors with an xacto to where they look ok but theyre still untrustworthy -in this pic ive already opened the crosscuts back up with the xacto, the blade is perfect width to do it - i should have took the pic with the slots tightly closed as they were post- crash - long winded post just to say knock off XT60s are the worst -
May 28, 2019, 07:07 AM
Thread OP
Who sells the AMASS brand and how do you tell if a certain dealer offers them? I suppose you could ask them.
I'm going to continue to use Deans on smaller planes .
May 28, 2019, 09:44 AM
If you're looking for better connectors that have lower loss, XT60's are definitely not your answer. They have been tested by many of us and proven to have much higher resistance than Deans Ultra connectors. That said, they perform decently and are an easy conversion given that nearly all midsized hobby batteries are affixed with XT60 upon arrival.

Genuine AMASS XT60 connectors are available from HobbyKing, among others.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/nylon-xt...s-genuine.html
May 28, 2019, 10:07 AM
My preference is for HXT 6mm bullets from Hobbyking. They will handle any current you can throw at them, it's almost impossible to solder them poorly, and they are very short and easy to place in the fuse (assuming it's a small fuse.) The large diameter (but short length) connectors plug in nice and tight and will have very minimal resistance. The only negative is the potential for connecting them incorrectly. I haven't done that yet, but it's certainly possible.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hxt-6mm-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
May 28, 2019, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth
If you're looking for better connectors that have lower loss, XT60's are definitely not your answer. They have been tested by many of us and proven to have much higher resistance than Deans Ultra connectors.
Wow news to me.

If that is a significant issue, please explain why, and also, which type do you reco as overall better than Deans?
May 28, 2019, 12:08 PM
Whether it's significant or not is entirely dependent upon the application. OP expressed interest in a 'heavier' connector. To me, this means lower loss (less resistance). XT60 have much higher resistance than Deans Ultra so it would be automatically eliminated. However, for most applications (~60A or less), the delta in performance would not be noticeable.

I haven't tested them but XT90 (4.5mm dia. contacts) may have slightly lower loss than Deans Ultra.

I personally prefer and predominantly use Anderson Powerpole connectors in most of my models. I do use XT60 connectors in my racing quads though. While they have higher loss than Anderson Powerpoles, they're very convenient in that nearly all power distribution boards and lipolys are fitted with them upon arrival.
May 28, 2019, 12:15 PM
Great answer, and yes APP is my default standard for all use cases, being a crimp over solder guy (not to start up on that derail here 8-)

And yes the convenience factor is a big one for XT60 in the RC world.

Quote:
Whether it's significant or not is entirely dependent upon the application.
So, setting aside the OP for the moment, just for 101-education's sake, in which type of application would the XT60's higher resistance become a significant issue?
May 28, 2019, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by John61CT
Great answer, and yes APP is my default standard for all use cases, being a crimp over solder guy
Same. I got my WMR crimper ~15 years ago and haven't looked back. Have probably crimped close to 500 APP connectors on batteries, ESCs, cables, and various adapters. APPs are a joy to attach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John61CT
So, setting aside the OP for the moment, just for 101-education's sake, in which type of application would the XT60's higher resistance become a significant issue?
Given that an XT60 mated pair have nearly twice the resistance of Deans Ultra, excessive heating and subsequent desoldering could become an issue in a high current application. Quantifying this exact current would obviously be challenging as there are many variables to consider (attached wire gauge, wire insulation material, ambient temperature, airflow over the connector/wires, solder joint quality, current draw duration, etc...).

Suffice it to say that if I were drawing over ~50A continuous, I'd absolutely choose Deans Ultra over XT60. But then I'd probably look for something else (XT90, et al.) as I personally believe that Deans Ultra and their copies are poorly engineered.
May 28, 2019, 01:31 PM
Quote:
.......XT60 have much higher resistance than Deans Ultra so it would be automatically eliminated. However, for most applications (~60A or less), the delta in performance would not be noticeable.

I haven't tested them but XT90 (4.5mm dia. contacts) may have slightly lower loss than Deans Ultra........
Happen to have some resistance values?

I went to xt60 after a brief break from the hobby. Every one of my Dean's had corroded to the point of either having a much greater loss or downright unreliable connection.

Connectors had to be swapped regardless, so I went with the gold plated genuine amass xt60's with snap on covers from an eBay seller. My new iCharger X6 uses xt60's as well so that was also a factor. I also prefer the solder cups over soldering the Dean's blades as they're a snap to solder. 10 pairs were enough to change over everything & make a couple adapters so it was a very easy conversion for me. Others milage may vary.

Ec3/5 was also on the menu but cost was the major factor in choosing the xt60's.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
May 28, 2019, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Given that an XT60 mated pair have nearly twice the resistance of Deans Ultra, excessive heating and subsequent desoldering could become an issue in a high current application.

But then I'd probably look for something else (XT90, et al.) as I personally believe that Deans Ultra and their copies are poorly engineered.
So maybe a good rule of thumb, if the Amass XTs are preferred over APP, would be to transition from XT60 to XT90, when current goes over 40-50A

Quick Reply