ChinModel Cessna 337/O-2 Skymaster.

Wingspan: 52 in
Overall Length: 39 in
Flying Weight: 1820 grams
Wing Load: 22 oz./sq ft)
Power: BL 2215/1050kv x2
30-amp ESCs
2x 3s 2200s

I've been eyeballing this kit for a couple of years now. It was pricey for the size of the model but at the same time the options for Skymasters are few and far between, and when you do find one it's usually a very large 80"+ ARF that costs $500 just for the airframe. So in the grand scheme of things the $250 I paid to have this shipped from Thailand doesn't seem so bad.

EBay had said that the model would take about a month to get to me. Instead, it took less than a week. The shipping was extremely fast. The model was exceptionally well packaged. The box was lined in foam and all the contents are bagged. The plans are folded instead of rolled but the way the kit is designed you aren't building over the plans anyway. They're just for reference. Cowls are fiberglass and are beautifully done. At one point the kit was sold with either white cowls or grey/black cowls depending on if you were building a civilian Skymaster or an O-2. That apparently isn't an option anymore and the cowls shipped were white. I'll be painting them since I plan to build it as an O-2.

All of the hardware is included. All nuts/bolts/washers, hinges, wheels, steerable nose gear, all pushrods and flexi-rods are included.

My plan is to power it with a pair of Turnigy 1050kv Park 450s and, with today's batteries I'm thinking a single 3s 2200 might be enough, though a pair of the lightweight Zippy Compacts might work too. Kit called for 9" props, with a 1050kv 450 that should be about right.

This is the scheme I'm planning to go with. Already shot an email to Callie.

Will get started very soon!
Last edited by Rampage; Sep 18, 2019 at 05:15 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 27, 2019, 11:27 PM
DFS#000178
Thread OP
Fuselage sides done. Quick and easy.

May 28, 2019, 01:21 AM
DFS#000178
Thread OP
Basic fuselage box is taking shape.

May 28, 2019, 06:41 AM
Gorilla glue rocks
Dude, love a box of parts! Looks like someone is going to have a lot of fun for a few months! Enjoy. I know I will enjoy watching.....sounds a bit creepy....

Spit100
May 28, 2019, 10:44 AM
Wanted for breaking Ohm's Law
Just checked out Chin Model. They have some nice selections, I would like the Cherokee if it was a little larger, say 52 span.

What are your options for battery hatch? Is there a top or bottom hatch? Ill follow along too.....
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
May 28, 2019, 12:26 PM
DFS#000178
Thread OP
Battery hatch appears to be on the bottom just aft of the firewall. It looks like it's going to be fairly large with lots if room for two smaller or one larger pack.
May 28, 2019, 12:37 PM
I have a Royal kit on Ebay of this 337 , 76" wing span, $350.00 buy it now price, if you still want a larger one.
Jun 01, 2019, 09:04 PM
DFS#000178
Thread OP
I don't think I want to take on a Royal kit. Haha. Thanks, though. I think this one will keep me occupied for a while. My luck EFlite will release a Carbon Z before I'm even done with this one...

Here's a little progress. Got the firewall doubler mounted, the nose sheeting and 'instrument panel' done and the fuselage underside sheeting and landing gear mount in. Also routed the pushrod for the nose wheel steering.

And here's where the battery hatch is going. It's got plenty of space for a pair of compact 2200s.

I also now have the Turnigy 1050kv Park 450s and 30-amp ESCs and a roll of light grey Ultracoat. Callie's going to have an order for the graphics here in the next couple of days.

Moving right along.
Jun 01, 2019, 09:30 PM
Make sure you mount thos motors so they can make the Max possible noise.
. Just like the Real Cessna.. a horrific noise maker
Jun 01, 2019, 09:57 PM
DFS#000178
Thread OP
Oh I'm already looking forward to how much noise the pusher's going to make. It's going to be obnoxious.
Jun 03, 2019, 01:47 AM
DFS#000178
Thread OP
Front and rear cowls are both fit. I'm not going to drill the holes for them until they're painted and the plane's covered but the fit is pretty good.

And the battery hatch.

There has been some deviation in the cut parts from the manual. The firewall and doubler are different from the manual and as such the battery tray plug didn't fit quite right as it didn't reach all the way to the firewall and there was no 'stop' for it to rest on on the firewall. So I lengthened the battery hatch plug a bit and made a shelf for it on the firewall then sanded like a madman until it all fit.

Very, very pleased with this kit so far. This has actually been a very fun build thus far.
Jun 03, 2019, 04:08 PM

Thank you for the build thread!

Great job so far. I will be following and looking for inspiration for my own build, a Vailly 1/4 scale L 5 Stinson. I started it 5 years ago then shelved it until recently and I hope I keep at it until it is done. I never make promises though! LOL! Subscribed!
Jun 04, 2019, 12:51 AM
DFS#000178
Thread OP
Didn't do much tonight. Sanded a bunch on the fuselage to get some of the curves right. Also started framing up the wing.

Wing is completely self-aligning and self-jigging. No need to build it over the plan. Everything fits perfectly.
Jun 04, 2019, 12:52 AM
DFS#000178
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzir
Great job so far. I will be following and looking for inspiration for my own build, a Vailly 1/4 scale L 5 Stinson. I started it 5 years ago then shelved it until recently and I hope I keep at it until it is done. I never make promises though! LOL! Subscribed!
Jun 04, 2019, 10:30 PM
DFS#000178
Thread OP
Waiting on glue so nothing new for a little bit.

So, I went on a bit of a shopping spree to finish things up.

2x light gray Ultracote
2x Suppo 2117 1100kv motors (decided to leave the Park 450s where they are)
2x Plus-32 32-amp ESCs (they're new, I want to try them)
1x HS82MG for the elevator
5x Turnigy 9g MGs for everything else
10x7 and 10x7R MAS props

And of course the graphics from Callie.

Moving right along.

Still thinking on battery. The model in the manual uses 2 3s2200s. I'm wondering if that's going to be a bit overkill though. For 5-6 minutes I should be able to fly on a single battery, but I guess I won't know for sure until I run the numbers on a watt meter.

Also the battery tray is going to take some thought. The default setup uses foam inside the fuselage to pack the batteries in and I don't like that. So I'm going to see what I can put together with a traditional tray.

Quick Reply