Thanks
to remove ads between posts
May 26, 2019, 12:34 PM
Build a scale plane already!!!
My last Solartex project,, Scout was Rattle can rustolem,,

The Stearman was K&B Epoxy paint many many moons ago

The Zero was Sig Dope,, also many many moons ago
May 26, 2019, 03:51 PM
The higher quality paint, the better results. I would not use rattle can paint, no way.
Latest blog entry: Testing the blog page
May 26, 2019, 04:13 PM
Scout looks good... Rattle can or not .
Zero is inappropriately shiny.
Stearman looks ok Shiny being less of an issue on a circus aircraft
Albeit KB Is Very Toxic/banned.
Plus I've seen a few where it added pounds to an airframe.. Insult to injury IMO.
May 26, 2019, 08:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2000
The higher quality paint, the better results. I would not use rattle can paint, no way.
Yeah,, if you know what you're doing Rattle can can come out great,,, so Yes way
May 26, 2019, 08:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare
Scout looks good... Rattle can or not .
Zero is inappropriately shiny.
Stearman looks ok Shiny being less of an issue on a circus aircraft
Albeit KB Is Very Toxic/banned.
Plus I've seen a few where it added pounds to an airframe.. Insult to injury IMO.
LOL. I'm so pleased you approve and don't really care you don't

well if a few ounces of paint add pounds, you are definitely doing something wrong,, LOL

buy that evil banned paint here,,, while you still can, http://www.superpoxy.com/

Good luck OP,, looks like you're going to need it asking advice around here
May 26, 2019, 10:21 PM
Thread OP
Thanks
May 26, 2019, 10:49 PM
Eternal Child
Two thumbs up for rattle can myself. Been using the very successfully on Solartex for years!

Here's my last two "rag wing" Solartex planes.

I always give mine 2 coats of primer first, give a good Scotchbrite go over, clean the surface & rattle spray away!

Remember, Solartex is open weave fabric, that should be sealed first with a acrylic Polyurethane (brush on is my choice) to get that "scale doped finish" look. Scotchbrite off any fuzzys, prime, Scotchbrite again, paint.

All of this IMHO, of course!
May 27, 2019, 05:32 AM
Scale_only,
Thanks for that link to Superpoxy. I thought that stuff was gonzo.

Stevster, what brand of rattle can did you use?

And I have another general question on rattle-can paints.... which ones are the most fuel proof (or are all of these planes gassers)? I tried Krylon with not much luck, the glow fuel softened it.

Thanks,

Bob
May 27, 2019, 07:24 AM
ARFs Are Me
Rattle can paint works well, in my opinion. I like it's convenience.

My preference is Rustoleum, using Duplicolor primer.
May 27, 2019, 08:12 AM
Eternal Child
Just like Tom uses in his picture #3
May 27, 2019, 10:13 AM
A good fuel proof clear coat that I used on SolarTex is SPRAYMAX 3680061, 2K URETHANE CLEAR COAT It is a 2 part spray can that requires a respirator for safe use. Find it and a respirator on Amazon. One can should do a 40-60 size plane. You can use that clear coat to fuel proof almost any paint. It will build up weight fast. One coat is all you need.

I have found that Rustoleum can be fuel proof if put on in very light coats and allowed to dry 2-3 days in between coats. I still prefer the clear coat to be sure though.
Last edited by JimboPilotFL; May 27, 2019 at 10:19 AM.
May 27, 2019, 10:44 AM
Thread OP
Thanks
with all of these advancements in spray paint technology there had to be something out there that would work
thank you , thank you , thank you
I was more worried about the solvent in the paint getting to adhesive under the covering and causing a reaction
Thanks to all of you who responded especially the ones who responded about spray paint
May 27, 2019, 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2000
Rusoleum has proven be be one of the best sprays I've used, and I've painted Microlite more than anyone on this site, which can be difficult to paint. Price and quality do not correlate. More costly model sprays are formulated to be fuel proof, not to be user friendly or necessarily look good unless very carefully sprayed, such as Top Flite and Coverite to name a few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboPilotFL
A good fuel proof clear coat that I used on SolarTex is SPRAYMAX 3680061, 2K URETHANE CLEAR COAT It is a 2 part spray can that requires a respirator for safe use. Find it and a respirator on Amazon. One can should do a 40-60 size plane. You can use that clear coat to fuel proof almost any paint. It will build up weight fast. One coat is all you need.

I have found that Rustoleum can be fuel proof if put on in very light coats and allowed to dry 2-3 days in between coats. I still prefer the clear coat to be sure though.
Exactly, requires drying time and depends on the substrate. Painted over iron-on, it takes 2 days to dry, just to the point where you're not making finger print smears from lightly handling the model. After about 2 weeks, there is a notable difference if a person plans on masking it, as the tape doesn't pull paint nearly as easily as it does after only a few days.

The last Rustoleum job done a few days ago:
May 27, 2019, 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by N1EDM
Scale_only,
Thanks for that link to Superpoxy. I thought that stuff was gonzo.
Thanks,

Bob
No problem,, they don't have much left,, when it's gone, it's gone,,

Klass Kote is similar I hear

Quick Reply