This thread is privately moderated by Bunnyshooter223, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 26, 2019, 08:16 AM
Club Saito | Genesis 8:11
Thread OP
Data

Intake Seal Air Leak Notes

Damage to intake valve seal on an FA-50 'type ii head' as i call it. Using OS F plug.
Both valves somehow hit piston. Dunno why, am not original owner. Not the engine's fault.

Brand new Saito valves, it's the head seal. A new glow plug seemed to help a lot. But it would not idle low without dying. I would start at half-throttle or a tad more. Difficult to start when warmed up well--a lot of priming and wasted fuel (as it drips out of carb) from too many tries yet no fire.

If you never get a fire, or pop, even when cold, check glow ignitor battery.
Compression feels low; comes up a bit when primed but low overall. Sometimes erratic power at mid or lower throttle--especially with old plug.

I ran it pretty good at mid to high throttle using a 13x4 Xoar. No improvement. I want to take another look at that head seal. Not sure if its brass insert or just the newer (cheaper) plated aluminum head.

The head on mine is 'kinda rare' too as it's a 'newer FA-56(A) style.' Now, some of the early FA-56's had the original-style FA-50 head
The rest of the engine is similar to Saito's small 4-strokes. It would make a good parts engine for FA-50 thru FA-62(A). The .56 and .62 use a wider piston but otherwise are similar.

I think i'll keep this engine for parts, afterall.

All great powerful thumpers. i say that with experience bench-running them. I easily get 10,050 rpm on my other classic FA-50 with Xoar 12x6 wood propeller (on the bench). Excellent transition, control, and idle.

I believe the same-weight FA-62 can get over 9,000 rpm using a 13x6! These small Saitos are some of my favorite engines (adding to the fact they can be used in small affordable .40-size air frames).
Saito FA-62a The First Run (4 min 21 sec)

10,000+ rpm holy !
Last edited by Bunnyshooter223; May 26, 2019 at 09:05 AM. Reason: stuff
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply