Jun 17, 2019, 12:51 AM
ultra cheap pilot
Hmmm...tempting to get few of these for groupie drift. Any ideas which Mini-z bodyshell could fit on these without mods/adapter? ... MR02, MA010 or firelap?
to remove ads between posts
Jun 17, 2019, 01:30 AM
Low budget fun
Thread OP
No, all the bodies need mod. First you need to grind the side clip slots off. Then move the metal plate to new body.

All 94mm bodies will fit without grinding wheel arches.
Jul 08, 2019, 07:41 AM
hi,

Just a quick hello, I bought one of these cars and quickly fried the ESC by attaching a 2s LiFe - Doh!!, so ordered another and it arrived just before the weekend.

I have watched beavers vids with interest - they really are excellent so thank you for that. I have now converted the working one to a single cell lipo and I have bought a bunch of parts

- mini-z wheels and both drift and grip tyres
- One way spool
- LEDs mini-z
- Motor capacitors (I think my steering twitches and hope its RC noise that will be supressed by caps)

I am still waiting for the spool and caps but the LEDs and wheels and Drift tyres arrived so got them fitted. I quickly broke the LED red lights not sure exactly what went wrong. I changed the connector on the end from a 4 way to a 2 way and plugged it in the power out port on the 2 in 1 board. at this point the reds worked but the whites didn't. I rechecked my wiring and all seemed good but again only the reds worked. so then I tried first the whites ok, then the reds on their own and the reds just - melted / blew?? so now I just use the whites.

Rather then waste the other car thanks to beavers videos I have bought an RX, ESC and Servo, just waiting on all these to arrive and will try this one as a 2s touring car first and if that's no good then start working it into another drift car.

I have never drifted so this is a big learning curve and not sure whats right and wrong but I have the car feeling quite equal now after adding various weights to balance it out. however catching the drift is not always easy once I get my self oriented I will post a vid and pictures and if you dont mind - ask a few questions
Jul 08, 2019, 09:18 AM
Low budget fun
Thread OP
Small LED uses only 3V. However the plug on Mini-Q is a bypass from battery. You'll need resistor for that.

Mini-Z kit doesn't have resistor because it's all integrated in the board.
I know because I blew some LEDs on my face too.

Take a bit of time to practice. You'll have a lot of fun drifting.
Feel free to ask any question.
Jul 08, 2019, 12:34 PM
Thank you...

Here is some earlier practice, its a bit slow and noisy but its quite fun and very satisfyng when it comes (sort of) together

A few pictures to follow

Drift (1 min 55 sec)
Jul 09, 2019, 12:58 AM
Low budget fun
Thread OP
Nice track.
Jul 09, 2019, 01:07 AM
ultra cheap pilot
Simple yet awesome diy drift track.
Jul 11, 2019, 03:33 PM
So I had bought some slick rubber tyres... fitted them to the above and well... that servo is twitching badly. With the drift tyres fitted when it veered off I had just assumed I was catching a divot in the flooring... but no it’s the servo.

Well I had ordered some bits for my other build and am now working on that build for the 2s touring car version. Given the issue above I have now ordered a new rx, and servo for the drifter and I will get an esc to complete the build.

This is addictive:-)
Jul 12, 2019, 08:21 AM
Niether my one way or my differential have arrived yet so the Touring Car 2s LiPo version is still running locked diffs. that said I think 2s is too much for this little car.

I dont like the 4 nimh/eneloop power train, I am only into quick charging LiPo's.

If you had to choose a chassis for micro Touring car - not drift, is there a clear winner? I see the options but its not clear if one stands out or if each has its own benefits and drawbacks.

Sinohobby
Mini-z
WLToys
or other?
Jul 12, 2019, 08:41 AM
Low budget fun
Thread OP
For locked diff to drive normally, even with 4xAAA or 1S it won't even drive properly.
For micro touring, in budget category there's nothing better than WLtoys 1/28 K989. With nice chassis and plenty of modability and upgrades it's the best in budget category.

But if you already have transmitter and some electronics, just get the Atomic AMZ. The chassis only costs $65 (exclude shipping) just the ball diffs alone make it almost worth the price. Apart from that you got grease filled shocks, carbon fibre plate chassis and super tough suspension arms. To me it's the first Mini-Z AWD killer.
I don't remember which comes first, WLtoys or AMZ. But for sure Mini-Q Q3 and Firelap IW04M are 2 pioneers for Mini-Z AWD clone but not quite the killer.
Jul 12, 2019, 11:48 AM
Thank you for that, interesting car... Think I need to step back and have a think about what I want. You rate this as a good starter drifter so perhaps I should stick at it a while.
Jul 12, 2019, 01:16 PM
Low budget fun
Thread OP
I just got the new Firelap IW05. Well, it's the 3rd one with the same platform with the same name. It drifts really good but the problem is I think I got a pre-production car because all the arms are 3D printed and they won't hold the screws. Shocks fall off from time to time and even the dog bones fall off. There's also the sound of gear skipping or plastic snapping while driving. But it's nice when it works though.

Also, if you can live with nail-to-chalkboard sound effect. Turn down your volume before open it.
Testing Firelap IW05 (rev.3) (0 min 38 sec)
Jul 12, 2019, 03:15 PM
Yeah not sure on that one ;-)

Never looked at this scale or drifting before but lately Iíve been keen to get a car again and I liked the idea of the skills involved in drifting so grabbed this one based on the reviews. Also Really like the scale bodies from mini-z so it seemed like a win win. But of course itís not easy and like all rc stuff there is a lot of learning what mods work and what parts fit. That where your vids are priceless mate so thanks again
Jul 12, 2019, 03:21 PM
Low budget fun
Thread OP
You're welcome!

Quick Reply