May 24, 2019, 07:04 PM
Aviation Nerd
Thread OP
Question

What is a good beginner balsa build?

I am interested in building a balsa model from a kit for my summer project. Does anybody know a good one for a first timer?
to remove ads between posts
May 24, 2019, 08:26 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
What sort of plane do you want?

For a low-wing sport plane, it's hard to beat Sig's 4-Star line, they're easy builds and fun planes.

For a glider, my suggestion is either the 2m RESolution V2 or the 2.9m Introduction F5J, both available from Hyperflight.co.uk, these are two easy building and excellent kits. Instructions are in german, but translations exist and the manual is almost entirely graphical anyways

For a high wing trainer, a Sig Kadet's always a classic, and Hobby Express does a bunch of Telemasters if you want something a little sportier but still entirely capable of being a trainer.
May 24, 2019, 09:05 PM
If you are looking for an electric park flyer, my first build was the Mountain Models Lil Bogie. You can check out my build thread here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ht=lil%20bogie
Mountain Models Lil Bogie Maiden (3 min 15 sec)
May 25, 2019, 12:46 AM
B for Bruce
How big and what is your flying skill level? And how do you expect it to fly when you're done. More info please.
May 25, 2019, 05:01 AM
A man with too many toys
I recommend the SIG LT-25 or LT-40 depending on what size you want. They are both easy to fly and easier to build than other designs.

https://sigmfg.com/collections/sig-k...adet-lt-25-kit

https://sigmfg.com/collections/sig-k...40-trainer-kit

They can be built as electric or glow powered.

May 25, 2019, 06:24 PM
+1 SIG LT-25

Mike
May 25, 2019, 07:28 PM
Aviation Nerd
Thread OP
I was thinking something like a motor glider or a sport plane. I would like to keep it small and electric. As far as skill level goes I would consider myself to be an intermediate to advanced level pilot.
May 26, 2019, 06:36 AM
Build something you'll want to fly when it's done, so that you have the motivation to complete it and give it the attention it deserves. For my first, I chose a very inexpensive kit for a plane that I didn't actually want. The build didn't go well, and I almost gave up on building, but decided to try again. For my second, I really wanted the plane, and that made it a lot more fun and gave me a lot more motivation to work on it and do a good job.

IME, a new build is fun until I get about halfway, and then it becomes a slog until it gets to about 90% and I can finally see what's going to come out at the end (and that there IS an end).
May 26, 2019, 11:31 AM
Something all laser cut and high wing is usually a good easy first building plane.
May 27, 2019, 05:06 PM
Scott
Intermediate to advanced level pilot. First build, so it needs to build fairly easily. Sport plane, fun to fly. That spells STIK to me. I have scratch built more than I can count. Maybe one of the kit cutters offers one??

Scott
May 28, 2019, 01:51 PM
B for Bruce
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williams RC
I was thinking something like a motor glider or a sport plane. I would like to keep it small and electric. As far as skill level goes I would consider myself to be an intermediate to advanced level pilot.
For something simple and fast to build perhaps a Sig Wonder but adapted to electric? Or build their Riser kit and stick a motor in the nose?

What about building from plans and just buy some wood from Sig or one of the other sellers of balsa and aircraft plywood? For simpler designs I've never really found that cutting the parts and strip wood took more than a couple or three hours on top of the actual building. And it opens up a WHOLE lot more options.
May 28, 2019, 02:23 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMatthews
For something simple and fast to build perhaps a Sig Wonder but adapted to electric? Or build their Riser kit and stick a motor in the nose?

What about building from plans and just buy some wood from Sig or one of the other sellers of balsa and aircraft plywood? For simpler designs I've never really found that cutting the parts and strip wood took more than a couple or three hours on top of the actual building. And it opens up a WHOLE lot more options.
The RESolution V2 I reference upthread will build faster and easier than the Riser, and is available in an Elektro version which is setup for a motor in the nose, or in a line launch version.

It also is a MUCH better performing aircraft than the Riser. At plan CG the RESolution will be gentle in handling but will out handle and out float the riser, and you can push the CG back a lot to get even better performance (and nimbler handling).

At ~600g built up the RESolution isn't the lightweight that most newer F3-RES designs are, but is a good first sailplane.
May 28, 2019, 05:35 PM
B for Bruce
It'll certainly fly a lot better, that's a fact. But for a first time builder would it have any tough spots to deal with? Things us long time builders take for granted can trap a first time builder.

Williams, go study the build threads for the RESolution and see if it all makes sense. But Mawz is right, if you can manage the build and keep the weight around or under 20oz you'd have an amazing performer for thermaling. Just note that if you're after aerobatics that would be another story. You'd want to watch the G loads on the RESolution. It's intended for what is by all rights a pretty whimpy high start. So it won't take a fast dive and sudden full up very well. It MIGHT do that but I'd say it's not really something you want to test if you can avoid it. But as a soaring trainer you could not ask for anything better.
May 28, 2019, 07:52 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMatthews
It'll certainly fly a lot better, that's a fact. But for a first time builder would it have any tough spots to deal with? Things us long time builders take for granted can trap a first time builder.
It is an incredibly easy build, easier than the Riser in fact, with less gotchas. The only potentially tough spot is aligning the root rib stack. No leading edge shaping, the tube spar and minimal wing sheeting really smooth things out. It was actually my second build after a riser 100 (I also owned the 2m riser)

Quote:
Williams, go study the build threads for the RESolution and see if it all makes sense. But Mawz is right, if you can manage the build and keep the weight around or under 20oz you'd have an amazing performer for thermaling. Just note that if you're after aerobatics that would be another story. You'd want to watch the G loads on the RESolution. It's intended for what is by all rights a pretty whimpy high start. So it won't take a fast dive and sudden full up very well. It MIGHT do that but I'd say it's not really something you want to test if you can avoid it. But as a soaring trainer you could not ask for anything better.
The RESolution will take a more energetic launch than a Gentle Lady. It’s not restricted to an F3-RES class histart and the wing is a fair bit stronger than most modern 2m woodies. I’d bet the Riser wing is a little stronger, but by a lot less than you think.

That does remind me that I need to sort out what’s up with the pics in the build thread
May 28, 2019, 07:55 PM
N = R* fp ne fl fi f
Something simple. Something small. Something cheap.
NONE OF THE ABOVE !!!
BUT this thing is bloody gorgeous......it is a snap together though, so isn't that hard, it still fits novice builder class.
Nice home for the new Saito 100cc twin gas.
https://valprorc.com/products/la-7-kit

Quick Reply