May 24, 2019, 04:49 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Do people actually comply with FAA drone rules?

So according to the FAA, all drones and model aircraft over 250 grams have to be registered and flying outside line of sight is banned. However, I have never seen anyone bother complying with these rules online. Flite test doesn't register every foam airplane they build and I have never seen Joshua Bardwell worry about having a spotter every time he flies behind his house.

Given all this my question is does the FAA actually bother enforcing their rules on non commercial UAVs? Do people actually get fined because the wrong person saw them fly an unregistered UAV in a public park?
to remove ads between posts
May 24, 2019, 04:57 PM
LSF303-AMA Fellow
Your fundamentals are incorrect, I suggest you review the actual rules and formulate your questions ... there is lots of static on these threads and misinformation like you are quoting is chief among the problems ... there will be no lack of people willing to tell you what you need to know ... educate yourself, first and then you can rule out a lot of the static-mongers ...
May 24, 2019, 05:04 PM
Retired US Navy
While the OP may not know the exact rules and laws at least he is asking.

Yes OP, people do actually follow the rules.
May 24, 2019, 05:15 PM
You registered yourself, not the aircraft. You put the same number on all of your airplanes. This may change in the future. Enforcement will come after an accident . If you fly within controlled airspace, life will get tougher this year and enforcement is more likely.
May 24, 2019, 06:09 PM
Team Futaba
FAA has not shown much in the way of teeth when it comes to enforcement, for either hobby or Part 107 flying. That may change, but I predict it will remain largely reactive versus proactive.

But once in a while they wake up:

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...510000921.html
May 24, 2019, 06:23 PM
IME, everyone I fly with follows the rules. They're just not that hard to follow. (OP, recreational flyers don't have to register every model. They just have to register themselves as a recreational flyer and put their number on the outside of their model. There are some other rules regarding airports and such too ... Those are also different for recreational flyers vs. commercial.)
May 25, 2019, 12:11 AM
Team Futaba
Most do and the minority that don't get all media coverage.
May 25, 2019, 12:53 AM
Do people follow the speed limits? Do they drive under the influence of alcohol, drugs, etc?
You know the answer...
May 25, 2019, 01:19 AM
Really depends on what exactly you mean by "rules" and also what you mean by "comply".
May 25, 2019, 09:10 AM
Most people think that by passing rules, regulations, laws, etc. that most everybody will just follow them and, in many cases, people do. What passing laws really means is that we are obligated to punish the people that don't follow them. If we/they are unwilling or unable to effectively enforce them then they are largely ignored.
As it has been noted, the FAA isn't really able and probably not willing to go after every little Sue or Johnny and their toy drones. The problem is that the public needs to think that they are doing something. (see removing shoes at the airport). So they pass a bunch of rules that are practically impossible to effectively enforce and there you are.
There is a theory that the .gov just makes everything illegal and then chooses somebody that they don't like and nails them. Tall nails get pounded down.
May 25, 2019, 09:55 AM
There are many laws that are not enforced (or loosely enforced) until there is an incident.

Some examples: If someone causes a serious car accident, the person causing it is likely to also get hit with speeding, reckless driving, etc. if those were involved and observed ... Those same things are enforced very sporadically normally.

Another: Leaving young children unattended in a car (e.g. while paying for gas or running into the store to grab something) is "child endangerment" and is a chargeable offense, but it generally isn't enforced unless something happens.
May 25, 2019, 01:25 PM
Most modelers who I know of, don't follow rules. They'll take their quad out on a boat, and operate it while driving, for one thing. They operate around the vicinity of people, right over them, and around them. For all they know, there is no law to follow and the FAA is toothless. So, in order to get some conformity, the FAA will have to clamp down hard on their licensing requirements, register each drone individually, make tracking mandatory, and make unlicensed use a criminal offense punishable as a felony. As it is, people are going to do what they want to do.

Remember this: There is no medical certificate needed, and no background check to buy a drone or parts. You can get one at Best Buy, cheap, and ready to go to the park. The only way this will ever end, would be if the sale of a drone was treated the same way as the sale of a full-scale aircraft, with a license and a few hoops to jump before ownership. I don't think that will ever happen. So again, people are going to do what they want to do.
May 25, 2019, 02:12 PM
Old Timer
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorfolkSouthern
Most modelers who I know of, don't follow rules. They'll take their quad out on a boat, and operate it while driving, for one thing. They operate around the vicinity of people, right over them, and around them. For all they know, there is no law to follow and the FAA is toothless. So, in order to get some conformity, the FAA will have to clamp down hard on their licensing requirements, register each drone individually, make tracking mandatory, and make unlicensed use a criminal offense punishable as a felony. As it is, people are going to do what they want to do.

Remember this: There is no medical certificate needed, and no background check to buy a drone or parts. You can get one at Best Buy, cheap, and ready to go to the park. The only way this will ever end, would be if the sale of a drone was treated the same way as the sale of a full-scale aircraft, with a license and a few hoops to jump before ownership. I don't think that will ever happen. So again, people are going to do what they want to do.
One does NOT need a license to own a full size airplane. You do to fly it.
May 25, 2019, 02:17 PM
FA34HM3YC7

Yes. If this hobby is to continue into the future it will be essential.
May 25, 2019, 02:55 PM
We are not men, we are DEVO 7e

LOL!

Cant even get people to comply with the advocacy sub-forum description!

Latest blog entry: MY notes/ Ascent 2"build notes

Quick Reply