May 24, 2019, 03:01 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Painting preperation on a ARC

OK guys and ladies I have a Focus Sport pattern plane that I plan on painting rather than using a film covering. I plan on using Wings West Products. 3/4 oz cloth laid down with epoxy, primer, and sanded to a "baby bottom" finish and paint and sealer from Wings. My question, should I glass cloth the wing, stab, rudder and fuselage prior to starting the assembly of the plane and then do the primer, sanding and final painting? I painted planes back in the 70's but most had fiber glass fuses and I can remember the sequence. I guess it's something about getting old!
I want to use paint so I can tape and paint the three color scheme that I want.

Bill
to remove ads between posts
May 27, 2019, 05:11 AM
Everybody does it differently but I like to fiberglass and prime the control surfaces before I paint. After everything has been primed and sanded, I then glue the control surfaces to the hinges and paint the plane as an assembly.

carl
Jun 03, 2019, 10:43 PM
I use .56oz cloth and do all the fiberglass at the same time. I then prime the fuse, wing and all control surfaces separately. I paint my control surfaces separately from the plane but I install them and clear it all at once. This picture is before 2 stage clear and it's also Wings West paint. I'm really looking forward to my Phoenix 8 build and painting it.

Quick Reply