May 24, 2019, 01:38 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

YS160 fuel ;-(

After much searching i finally found a plane i wanted on the classifieds. its a Seabart Funtana. Pretty much comes ready to go except for reciever.

its fitted with a YS160 engine.

I have no experience with ys engines but a few club members have them and thought great, they use prosynth i use that in my helis... but then a very knowledgable member insisted that i should run the recomended fuel to get the best out of the engine and not damage it.. I did mention about changing it to petrol but the advice was keep the ys, its a powerhouse and on petrol it wont fly the same (heavier engine).

So now im in a dilema. I found 1 place that sold the 20/20 fuel and it was stupidly expensive.. 42 plus postage.... anothe rplace sells the boron ys fuel, 27 but out of stock..

can you run these engines on other fuels, and on lower nitro? I thought i would be able to use prosynth 2000 15% but im questioning the oil content.

The other option is optifuel slv 20% which ive used in my 600 nitro heli . 18% oil...

after i found out the cost of fuel my thinking was to sell the ys160 and get a 26cc petrol.

I'll likely run a gallon of fuel through it first and see what its like, but cost is a majour issue and one of the reasons why i stopped flying my 600 was the how much fuel it would go through.
to remove ads between posts
May 24, 2019, 01:43 PM
Stay with 20 or above. They run great on 20/20 and I use to run them on heli 30 percent.
May 24, 2019, 07:04 PM
[QUOTE=I have no experience with ys engines but a few club members have them and thought great, they use prosynth i use that in my helis... but then a very knowledgable member insisted that i should run the recomended fuel to get the best out of the engine and not damage it.. I did mention about changing it to petrol but the advice was keep the ys, its a powerhouse and on petrol it wont fly the same (heavier engine)..[/QUOTE]

Let's check some facts:
YS 160 - engine weight - 930g
Engine mount - 70g-100g
Muffler weight - tuned pipe 250g-350g (to get the best power around 3HP)
Fuel weight - 200g-300g

DLE 30 - engine weight - 910g
Engine mount - 20g-30g
Muffler weight - 80g
Ignition weight - 120g
Fuel weight - approx. 50% less than YS 160.

You work it out, there's probably not much in the weight between the two, I have both engines and the DLE 30 is stronger in my opinion (swings larger props), it certainly has a much better vertical. The most significant difference is the cost of each flight...
May 25, 2019, 06:38 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClippedWings
Let's check some facts:
YS 160 - engine weight - 930g
Engine mount - 70g-100g
Muffler weight - tuned pipe 250g-350g (to get the best power around 3HP)
Fuel weight - 200g-300g

DLE 30 - engine weight - 910g
Engine mount - 20g-30g
Muffler weight - 80g
Ignition weight - 120g
Fuel weight - approx. 50% less than YS 160.

You work it out, there's probably not much in the weight between the two, I have both engines and the DLE 30 is stronger in my opinion (swings larger props), it certainly has a much better vertical. The most significant difference is the cost of each flight...
petrol it is in it its similar weight and costs a fraction to run win win. i was actually thinking a 26cc but if the 30 fits then great. hopefully someone has a dle 3 for swaps or i can sell the ys160
May 25, 2019, 07:42 AM
Systems Test Engineer Amateur
Sure wish I had a DLE thirty on hand.

We would be doing a swap
May 25, 2019, 06:12 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Cee

We would be doing a swap
not shure the shipping would be economical from UK to US....
May 25, 2019, 07:45 PM
Systems Test Engineer Amateur
Not a problem.
May 27, 2019, 05:44 PM
Play that funky music right
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Cee

We would be doing a swap
DANG IT GARY!!! You beat me to it.....
May 30, 2019, 04:02 PM
Thread OP
So just been told this isnt a super charged ys engine. Not sure it makes a difference really.

The owner said he used 15% nitro and he was prop hanging with it. Ill be getting some fuel soon to see how it is, i keep getting different reports from different people, ive had someone say you get 6 flights per gallon of fuel, and others say its not that bad.

anyway, i need to get the damn prop off which means getting 2 ring spanners of the same size, due to the lock nut . cant get it off with a shifting spanner.

it has an old mini servo on the throttle and i dont quite trust it so will change it for a standard size futaba servo.
May 31, 2019, 12:59 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazsound
So just been told this isnt a super charged ys engine. Not sure it makes a difference really.

The owner said he used 15% nitro and he was prop hanging with it. Ill be getting some fuel soon to see how it is, i keep getting different reports from different people, ive had someone say you get 6 flights per gallon of fuel, and others say its not that bad.

anyway, i need to get the damn prop off which means getting 2 ring spanners of the same size, due to the lock nut . cant get it off with a shifting spanner.

it has an old mini servo on the throttle and i dont quite trust it so will change it for a standard size futaba servo.
It depends on your definition of "supercharge". The YS four stroke engines utilizes the crankcase pressure to push more air/fuel volume into the combustion chamber. In the most general definition that is supercharge. Some older YS four stroke engine has an air chamber and many do not. However they all shared a similar carburetor design. The carburetor will suck the air/fuel mixture (or simply air only with the fuel injection version of the YS four strokers) into the crank case lower half during the up stroke of the piston movement. Then the downward movement of the piston will push the air up into the intake port. Since the intake port opens for every two times the piston goes down, the air or air/fuel mixture is compressed.

If yours is the YS 160 DZ four stroke engine then it is super charged.

YS engines are mostly designed to run relatively high nitro fuel except for their "Zero" models. When the YS engines run they are wonderful engine and has just about the highest power to weight ratio of all the RC engines. However they can be a PITA to tune and get to run right if you are not patient, familiar with the engine. Or you get one that is used and abused by some prior "unaware" owners.
May 31, 2019, 06:52 PM
I am only familiar with the DZ160, I don't think there were other YS 160 versions.
The DZ160 is "supercharged" in a similar way to most other YS 4stroke engines.
The difference in the DZ series (DZ140, 160,...) is the fuel delivery method. A mechanical fuel pump actuated by the camshaft push rod injects the fuel directly to the combustion chamber via the open inlet valve, while the air for the mixture is compressed via the crankcase as described above.
The DZ series are more powerful than the FZ or AC versions, probably as powerful as some of the stronger 25/26cc gas engines (such as a Zenoah G26).
The reed valve 30-35cc engines (DLE30, DLE35, EME35, RCGF32, OS33, etc...) are lighter than the Zenoah G26 and can produce more thrust than the YS DZ160 with a similar overall weight.
May 31, 2019, 07:20 PM
I cringe every time I see someone use a shifting spanner on our beautiful little engines . Get your self a set of proper spanners . u don't have to buy the best and there handy every where . If I saw a mechanic using one on my car I would hit him in the head with it . Some saitos come with them . cheers
Jun 01, 2019, 01:24 AM
Whats wrong with a shifting spanner / an adjustable wench for you American folks . In a pinch they work just fine, but a proper spanner (box wrench) is the better way to go. Hey, Columbus sailed to America in a Square Sail Wooden Galleon, and he made it with Limes to spare.
Jun 01, 2019, 08:08 AM
Play that funky music right
I call the YS four stroke engines "not naturally aspirated".

YS's are not supercharged in a traditional sense, but they do improve on the amount of air/fuel amount packed into the cylinder. It is a good system and works well.

Ken
Jun 01, 2019, 12:48 PM
Thread OP
Got the engine running but think the plug needs to be replaced as well as getting the right fuel.

It would run but couldnt get the throttle below half way, partly due to 10% nitro and partly due to the plug being old and worn out. Will get a new plug ordered and some 15% heli fuel.

seems to run pretty smoothly despite the lack of nitro.

Neeed to get onboard glo.... really dont like having fingers so close to an almost invisible large prop.

Quick Reply